Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

adiantum

2019 Morning Fasting BG Readings

meyery2k

93 this morning.  I thought the trades would bring some relief but yesterday was still hot and humid.  Had a few rain showers overnight which helped cool things down a bit.

Hammer
2 hours ago, janice21475 said:

Haven't had a Dr. apt in ages, this morning it is pouring rain! Happily I made it there and back with no problem. Could only go 45 on the hiway, it was raining so hard I couldn't see well. Everyone was doing the same speed so no one got mad at me for poking along. So good to be back home, though The roads are like glass. Think this rain will be here for a few days. Won't complain. I have shut the AC off for a while, it must welcome the rest. I get a rest, too. Don't have to carry water to the  plants.   Take care,

Janice, don't wait so long to see your doctor.  Avoiding the doctor can only result in serious health issues, and I don't want that to happen to you.  I see my doctor every 4 months, and that's because I have my health issues under control.  I used to see her every three months, but she saw that I had my health issues under control, she she started making my appointments for every four months.  I'm sure that if I asked her, she would make them for every six months, but I don't want to wait that long between appointments.  At my age (66), anything can develop in six months, so I'd much rather get checked out every four months....just to make sure that nothing new has developed.  Please don't wait too long too see your doctor....seeing your doctor more often could possibly save your life.

meyery2k

@janice21475 - I must echo what @Hammer wrote.  I was stupid and did not see a doctor for a good 15 years.  I knew there were things wrong with me and simple fear kept me from going.  I finally went and found what was really wrong with me was serious but not quite as bad as the fear.

3 years in now...

At first, I had to see my PCP every 3 months, then every 6 months, now it is once a year.  He jokes that I am one of the healthiest diabetics he has come across.  I still test daily and if something starts to go wrong, I can come see him anytime.

I had to see the ophthalmologist every 6 months but he relaxed that to once a year since my eyes seem to be fine and my A1c is normal.  He jokes around with me too and asks me if I really have diabetes.

The dermatologist is the not so fun doctor.  Every 3 months for now.  I have a lot of body work.  The first couple spots were kind of big.  The most recent on my arm was not too bad though.  I went for a mohs surgery and they got it in the first pass.  It wasn't any worse than the biopsy the dermatologist took.  I have one more on my scalp to look at.  The good thing is they are smaller and we catch them early because I go see him so often.

Please go get checked out more often! ~ Mike 

adiantum

I see the dermatologist more often then my  GP. He has me taking Vit B3 for my skin 

Mike this link might interest you . 

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/blog/the-role-of-vitamin-b3-in-reducing-non-melanoma-skin-cancer/

meyery2k

I will ask the dermatologist about it.  Thanks!  How much do you use, Lee?

adiantum

I was told to just  take one 300mg tab daily ,but I believe  the recommended dose is two.

meyery2k

93 this morning.  I have been invited to field test a lock by a manufacturer.  Who knew my ability to break things would pay off :) ?

adiantum

Lovely photo Diana. I often see rowers when I go to the park early & it's been many years since I had a kayak.

meyery2k

@Hammer  The manufacturer is OttoLock.  It is a cafe stop lock for a bike.  It is basically a giant zip tie held in place by a pawl with a combination to free the pawl and unzip the tie.  The original lock has 2 thin stainless bands wrapped in kevlar and then coated in flexible plastic.  The idea is to carry a light lock for coffee and bathroom stops.  When it comes to locks, it is said there are three things to consider: cheap, strong, and light.  You get to pick two when buying a lock.

I have 2 and I have come to really like them.  Unfortunately, 1 jammed on me or was tampered with the bike in it so I had to cut the band with aviation snips.  It can be done but it takes a good 10 to 15 minutes.  The kevlar and plastic keeps you from applying enough shear to easily cut the steel.  Eventually, however, with effort, you would chew up the kevlar and plastic enough to get the stainless started.  Once you start a cut on the stainless, it is over pretty quickly.  

There is a youtube video from someone called the lockpicking lawyer that shows the lock being cut in seconds with aviation snips.  I wasn't able to do that though...

Customer service offered to replace the lock no questions asked.  They just want me to send back the broken lock so they can figure out how it broke.  This is my 2nd replacement.  The first lock, I am sure I broke by not following the directions to set the combination.  This lock, I think just succumbed to the cinder, salt, and humidity of Hawaii.  I was then offered a chance to field test a lock.  As I get more details, I will share.  I am pretty excited about this.  I am being asked what I think about something cycling related and it just makes me so happy to be considered seriously in the sport.

OTTOLOCK-Bike-Lock-three-colors-30in.jpg?itok=OL_WqkZt

Diana_CT

This morning's reading was 128.

The town of Wellfleet on Cape Cod is known for their oysters and they farm the oysters in baskets that are exposed during low tide. Each basket contains thousands of oysters and it takes about 3 years for the oysters to be legal size.

DSC_0168.jpg

One of the oyster farmers is checking his baskets.

DSC_2190817+%2528156%2529.jpg

Sunset at Indian Neck in Wellfleet MA

DSC_2190817+%252879%2529-Pano.jpg

adiantum

Lovely  family photo Clint.

Great photos  Diana. I didnt know they grew on baskets, here  it just looked like posts sticking out of the water .

Theres Oyster farms not far from here  so I looked at their website . I guess these are the baskets you mentioned.

Hawkesbury River Oysters

https://www.hawkesburyriveroystershed.com/