Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Pesto Butter

Kit

I had decided to go for steaks for dinner last night.  Had mine with pan roasted asparagus (with mushrooms and bell pepper) and pesto butter.  Normally I do a pan sauce after cooking the steaks, but since I wanted to cook the asparagus in the drippings, I went for the pesto butter instead.

Its pretty easy to make.  Can be done entirely from scratch or with a jarred pesto.  Be careful of jarred pestos.  They are usually crammed full of questionable ingredients, though once in a while I find something at the store with much better ingredients.  A real traditional pesto is pretty simple and very keto friendly.

Anyway, I mixed room temperature butter along with the pesto in a ratio of about 2 parts butter to one part pesto.  Then I added about a tablespoon or so onto my steak when serving.  OMG it tasted SO GOOD and I fear I may be on another pesto kick again.

meyery2k

Our local burger joint makes a really nice pesto burger.  They will prepare salad style upon request.

dowling gram

Yes pesto is real easy to make if you can find fresh basil. Fortunately it is very easy to grow, sprouts in days and grows fast. I grow it year round. In fall I plant a few seeds in a small hanging pot and hang it in my sunny kitchen window and I have a steady supply of this marvelous herb. A couple of leaves crushed gives a pleasant kitchen smell when company is coming. Besides pesto basil gives flavor to any dish containing tomatoes or beans.

You can also freeze pesto. The basil will turn black but it doesn't effect the flavor