Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

OneEye

Re: Coronary Bypass Recovery from...

OneEye

On the 2nd of December, late night...I called 9-1-1. Took me out of town from Oroville, CA to Chico because of the EKG they did on me in the ambulance. Long story short; on the 6th of Dec they did a quintuple coronary bypass; cracked ol' OneEye open like an egg. Excellent work. ICU, CVU, then off to a rehabilitation center until they released me on my birthday...the 26th.

With that said; I've now got this hypoxic thing where my little pulse/ox meter tells me I've got 97% ox when resting...but when I get up to do things, make coffee etc. I start running out of breath quickly and need to sit back down with labored breathing. The pulse/ox says I'm down as far as in the lower 70%s. Once at 59%. Kinda scary. Takes me about 4 to 5 minutes to recover.

It's been 27 days since the surgery and this doesn't seem to be getting any better. Anyone else have this experience from surgery or another procedure that experienced this and eventually came back to your previous normal?

Kit

How terrifying.  I'm glad you made it out of surgery and are back home and your recovery continues to go well.

My mother has had numerous problems with anesthesia medications and loosing her breath\pulse ox dropping low.  It happens every time with her and can last for a significant amount of time (days at least) after it was administered.

She also has had similar issues with a certain blood pressure medication.  Actually that one makes her cough like she had pneumonia.

I'm guessing you are on some new meds.  Maybe one of those?

meyery2k

@OneEye - I wish I had an answer to your question.  I am most pleased to see you back!  Best New Year's ever, so for...

OneEye
2 hours ago, Kit said:

She also has had similar issues with a certain blood pressure medication.  Actually that one makes her cough like she had pneumonia.

I'm guessing you are on some new meds.  Maybe one of those?

Yes, a blood pressure medication is one of the 6 medications I'm on. Those, plus a vitamin and an iron pill. Thinking of stopping the BP medication to see if it makes any difference.

OneEye
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

@OneEye - I am most pleased to see you back!  Best New Year's ever, so for...

Thank you - glad to be back. So far... :)

TX_Clint

Glad to have you back. I do hope you resolve the loss of breath issue. My wife has a similar problem and is on oxygen for it. Hopefully the low oxygen issue will go away as you recover and get stronger.

buddy7

So sorry to hear OneEye that you’ve been out-of-sorts, and hopefully with the new Meds you will see some progress. It’s always kind of crummy when a guy goes down ill on an oncoming Birthday. No, what you’re going through, had a similar problem April 2018 heart investigation on my Birthday.

Can only wish you all the best, and hope you pull through the current medical issues you are having.

Thought they were a problem when you didn’t respond to your Birthday wishes on the board, as you so often do. All the best my friend wish you a speedy recovery.

adiantum
14 hours ago, OneEye said:

a quintuple coronary bypass

hey that surgery was huge. When you were discharged did they give you phone numbers & a list of what to do if such & such should happen?

I think you should contact  your medical team that treated you  without further delay. Let them sort it out or at least put your mind to rest.

This is a different country but here,  I'd be calling  our paramedics  on  000  & they would contact the hospital or take me back into admissions.

janice21475

Hello One Eye, Sending sympathy for your Operation and on going issues. What did your Doctor say about that hypoxic thing? Since they gave you a meter they are aware of it, right?? Hope it will resolve itself ASAP.

Happy Birthday!

Janice

Kit

Given your circumstances, I wouldn't drop the BP med without consulting your doctor first.  I'm sure while you are healing from the surgery, keeping control of your BP is likely even more important than usual.

OneEye
16 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Glad to have you back. I do hope you resolve the loss of breath issue. My wife has a similar problem and is on oxygen for it. Hopefully the low oxygen issue will go away as you recover and get stronger.

It also seems that one of my medications has something to do with this. For the last 4 hours leading up to my taking my once-a-day pills...the breathing and my stamina improve. Once I take the pills...that goes away. Trying to narrow it down.

OneEye
1 hour ago, janice21475 said:

Hello One Eye, Sending sympathy for your Operation and on going issues. What did your Doctor say about that hypoxic thing? Since they gave you a meter they are aware of it, right?? Hope it will resolve itself ASAP.

Happy Birthday!

Janice

Haven't talked to a primary doctor yet. I've pushed that visit from today up to the 17th so I don't have to make that visit in a wheelchair.

OneEye
1 hour ago, Kit said:

Given your circumstances, I wouldn't drop the BP med without consulting your doctor first.  I'm sure while you are healing from the surgery, keeping control of your BP is likely even more important than usual.

Good advice.

OneEye
7 hours ago, adiantum said:

When you were discharged did they give you phone numbers & a list of what to do if such & such should happen?

No "what to do"...but they gave me a list of doctor appointments. I've pushed those all back a couple weeks. In the meantime I'm just trying to gather my strength. As I've often said, "This longevity thing's a bit overrated!" :)

Edited by OneEye

adiantum

A list of appointments requires a fit & healthy body to attend them. Killing yourself to visit a doctor just doesnt seem logical.

Have you taken BP meds before & had a reaction to them?

I once had post op issues & rang the hospital asking what to do.. they sent a RN to my house & she visited daily until I was OK

Its possible your health team has a similar crew.

Yeah, longevity is a bit overrated,  but you may as well  allow  these repairs to restore your youth .

OneEye
23 hours ago, adiantum said:

A list of appointments requires a fit & healthy body to attend them. Killing yourself to visit a doctor just doesnt seem logical.

Agreed.  These medications I'm on are for 30 days with no refill...except for the Basaglar insulin. That's a 5-pen box; 1500 units divided by 18 units a night equals 83 days. As long as I get to these doctors in the next 23 days.

Have you taken BP meds before & had a reaction to them?

Never taken BP medication before.

I once had post op issues & rang the hospital asking what to do.. they sent a RN to my house & she visited daily until I was OK

Its possible your health team has a similar crew.

A nurse is coming out every Wednesday for the next 3 weeks.

Hammer

It's great to see you back again OneEye!  It seems that I might be undergoing the same thing that you just went through, so I was wondering....after the surgery, why does it take so long before you are able to function on your own?  Is it there pain that prevents you from functioning on your own, or is it something else?  I'm only asking because, if I have to undergo the same procedure, what can I expect?

Fraser

I am  embarrassed to ask this question because Many are dealing with health issues far more serious than mine, but for me an unusual experience.

i live in a three story walk up I received an online order for a desk estimated at 50 pounds. I hauled the package or pushed it up the three flights, usually not a big deal,but my,heart was pounding and I just dumped at the top of the stairs a sat for awhile and recovered.  later seemed fine.

my question, I am 73 well controlled T2. And  I never felt in extreme distress. How do I understand when I am pushing my self too hard?

It seems that less and less less normal people are no longer around.  And yes this has been a bad year for loosing long time friends.

this may be a rant more than a questions. Thanks for listening

Edited by Fraser

OneEye
17 hours ago, Hammer said:

It's great to see you back again OneEye!  It seems that I might be undergoing the same thing that you just went through, so I was wondering....after the surgery, why does it take so long before you are able to function on your own?  Is it there pain that prevents you from functioning on your own, or is it something else?  I'm only asking because, if I have to undergo the same procedure, what can I expect?

With coronary bypass they have to saw your sternum in half and then crack you open like an egg. When they're finished they wire/stitch your sternum back together and either stitch or glue the rest of you. They then cover that in a bandage covered in silver and then put a type of elastic corset about a foot wide around everything to help keep pressure on the sternum knit. They don't want you using your arms to either push or pull, lift over your head or lift anything over 5 pounds for weeks. Your greatest challenge is getting in and out of bed not using your arms. Permanent sternum knit can take up to 3 months.

OneEye
6 minutes ago, Hammer said:

With all of the stitches and wraps, how is it possible to take a shower?...or are you able to take a shower?

Until they remove the bandage they'll give you a warm-water washcloth bath. My first shower at rehab one of the cute little nurse assistants scrubbed my back and lower legs. After they remove the bandage there's a 7 day shower and Betadine application requirement. I asked the nurse that came out here last Wednesday when I could remove my corset. She said now is fine. Felt good not to be being hugged by a 2-year-old anymore.

adiantum
On 1/6/2019 at 7:21 AM, OneEye said:

Your greatest challenge is getting in and out of bed not using your arms

That is very difficult if your not used to it. @Hammer, it might be wise to start  training for  it now.

When I had just one arm immobilized, I found getting in & out of bed a challenge & then how to pull the duvet up.