Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Rad Warrier

"NAD"

Rad Warrier

Recently I have been seeing a lot of advertisements from two competing supplement vendors for their "anti aging" products. It is not the "anti aging" that interested me but their claims of reducing blood sugar and A1c. The supplements are:

1. "Basis" - from Elysium. They say it contains Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)+ pterostilbene. It is supposed to boost NAD+. I know practically nothing about NAD +. The advertisements say that NAD+ slows aging. They also claim reduction of blood sugar and A1c. The company boasts of many Nobel Laureates among their directors, promoters or advisers (forgot which) 

2. "Tru Niagen" - from ChromaDex Inc. They say it contains just Nicotinamide Riboside (NR). This is also being promoted as a NAD boosting "anti aging" supplement with benefits such as diabetes control. 

Has anyone tried any of these? Is there any benefit to diabetics from any of these supplements?

Regards,
Rad

P.S. I didn't know where exactly to post this, so posted under "Chit Chat".

Hammer

Rad, here's my take on any supplement that makes claims "that have not been evaluated by the FDA"....if their product actually did what they claim that it will do, then whatever compounds that are in their product, would be sold by the large pharmaceutical companies.  Think about it...the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical companies haven't discovered any benefits from the ingredients of these supplements, but the small little supplement companies have?  Even if these small supplement companies were to somehow uncover some miraculous benefit from their ingredients, the big pharmaceutical companies would either buy the small company, or produce the same product under a different name.  Anything that the small supplement companies are experimenting with, the large pharmaceutical companies have already experimented with it to the umpteenth degree, and found that it wasn't worth their time to produce it.

dowling gram

I agree with you hammer to some degree but drug companies will only test or produce something if it is profitable.

Having said that there are thousands of products with wild claims but most are snake oil and sometimes cause more harm than good. My advice is to skip those products and lower  your BG the way you've always done