Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
RussellF

Does morning exercise raise anyone else's blood sugars?

RussellF

I'm used to my blood sugars rising a bit when I wake up. I don't know why, it's always done that, but it's never by very much. But for some reason, morning cardio bumps it by at least 100 mg/dl. Check out the attached screenshot. I had nothing to eat until after the screenshot.

6:00 am - wake up

6:30 am - start cardio

7:05 am - stop cardio

7:30 am - still haven't eaten, blood sugars still rising

Anyone else experience this? It feels counterintuitive but it seems like the only option to prevent it is a bolus before exercise. Any other ideas?

15 units Lantus at night. Sliding scale Novalog injections throughout the day. Dexcom G6 CGM.

Photo Jan 04, 7 31 12 AM.png

dowling gram

Meyery 2k has given you the answer with his link.. Follow the advice given there. Don't bolus but eat something carby before you exercise so your muscles have the BG they need

RussellF

Fascinating. I've been diabetic for 30 years and this is the first time I'm hearing about this. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks @meyery2k & @dowling gram!

Edited by RussellF

don1942

When I was swimming laps, I noticed that my BG level would increase after exercising up to 30 minutes and level off after exercising for 45 minutes. After an hour, my BS would start to fall..

notme

My blood sugar drives up massively when doing muscle building exercise.  I talked to my trainer about this and it seems that many type 1’s have this issue.  While working those muscles you are actually releasing stored glucose from this muscles.  Cardiac exercise lowers your numbers but muscle building will raise your numbers.  You may find that a few hours later your numbers will drop off dramatically if you over correct.  

RussellF

Don't bolus but eat something carby before you exercise so your muscles have the BG they need

So clearly this is not the solution for me. In fact, it seemed to have only compounded my blood sugar rise. Thanks for the advice, it was totally worth a shot. Maybe I had the schedule wrong, ate slow acting carbs when the advice meant fast acting carbs, or didn't eat enough carbs. Lots of variables here. My schedule today:

6:15 - wake up, immediately eat 23 grams of carbs in oatmeal

6:45 - begin exercise, mostly cardio with some intermittent pushups

7:15 - end exercise. shower and get ready for breakfast

7:50 - head to breakfast, take screenshot of blood sugars

Going to try again tomorrow, but this time I will bolus for the carbs and see what a difference it makes. Will watch my blood sugars closely for lows for safety.

Photo Jan 07, 7 52 03 AM.png

Edited by RussellF

RussellF

Heyyyyyy, that's more like it! This time I took a bolus of Lantus to correct for the carbs and it leveled everything out. The exercising didn't raise my blood sugars a bit. The original article posted here stated:

Remember, however, that the glucose needs insulin in order to be used by your muscles. So if you do not have enough insulin available, your blood glucose levels can actually increase right after exercise. 

But I'm Type 1 and my body basically doesn't make insulin. So I think adding the insulin manually to offset the carbs is what did the trick. We were thinking about this backwards. This morning's schedule:

6:00 - wake up (blood sugars at 125), take enough insulin to cover 23 grams of carbs and treat the +25 mg/dl

6:15 - eat 23 grams of carbs in oatmeal

6:30 - begin cardio

7:05 - end cardio, shower and get ready for breakfast

7:45 - head to breakfast, take screenshot

Thanks again @meyery2k and @dowling gram !

Photo Jan 08, 7 43 30 AM.png

Edited by RussellF

RussellF

If anyone is interested in how I make and consume oatmeal so darn fast at 6:00 in the morning, the real truth is that I make these low-sugar oatmeal breakfast cookies in advance. I keep one in a container on my nightstand ready to go for the morning:

Low-sugar, almond flour oatmeal breakfast cookies

Recipe makes 16 of them. Generally handy whenever I need a slow carb boost to get me to a delayed meal or something. I've always got a batch in the fridge.

Edited by RussellF

Bar&In

23g of oatmeal would spike anyone, regardless if cardio followed. Heck that’s 3 carbs more than my entire daily max carb intake.

As for the insulin prior to offset, just be careful, it can bite you out of the blue even if you do keep everything else consistent. Just make sure to have tablets with ya on run. 

CorrryW

Cycling or any other exercise can reduce sugar and blood pressure in the beginning. However after some time the blood sugar and BP will start going up.

Both of these are linked with the resting metabolic rate. In the beginning of starting the exercises there will be mild exercise resulting in the improvements. But with passage of time the person will get used to exercise and increase his exercise time. And then his Resting metabolic rate will start falling down resulting in increase in blood sugar and BP.

Instead of cycling and any other exercises I would recommend the following -

Walk for 5 minutes after getting up in the morning at easy pace in the house. After walking go back to bed and rest in bed for 15 minutes.

Repeat the above 2–3 times in the morning and 2–3 times at night before sleeping.

This will do wonders to blood sugar and BP.