Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
steel

t2 diabetics diagnosed in the 30s- raise your hands!

steel

Hey everyone,

I'd love to hear from t2ds that were diagnosed in the 30s (or younger)? We have a long road ahead of us, so I think it'd be nice to get to know each other. I have a few questions, to get the thread going.

1) At what age were you diagnosed? Please share A1C and fasting BG at diagnosis, but  only if you're comfortable, no pressure.

2) Were you diagnosed Prediabetic? If so, for how long? (yes I consider prediabetes as diabetes)

3) How do you keep up your spirits and motivation, considering a t2d diagnosis in 30s isn't as common?

although it's becoming more common and unfortunately we'll be seeing younger and younger T2s over the years.

For me, a huge part is posting on DF and staying in touch with fellow t2ds on the morning fasting reading thread. I don't want motivation to just be about complications, like freaking oneself out over complications too much can be demoralizing. I try to be aware of them, so I don't overlook or minimize the consequences of neglect. But I also like to positively reframe the diagnosis as one helping me make changes that even non Diabetics should be making, like lowering my carbs further and working out regularly. I still do create space for frustrations, unpredictable numbers (periods really mess with mine), whatever other challenges we face having to exercise as much vigilance as we have to, relative to non diabetics. It's important not to judge oneself for sometimes getting tired of/frustrated with a chronic disease.

What are some of your tips for motivation and some ways in which you stay encouraged?

4) Do you meet/socialize with any t2s your age irl?

5) Are you diet and exercise controlled, on meds and/or insulin?

Feel free to share any other thoughts/comments. :)

Edited by steel

steel

Okay..looks like none of our t2s diagnosed in the 30s have answered...I'll invite folks who were diagnosed in early 40s as well :) 

Kit

Raises hand. 

41 here

1) A1C was 10.4 and fasting was over 200.  I don't remember details beyond that. 

2)  I went straight to the full diabetic diagnosis.  My doctor initially mentioned putting me on insulin. The dietician said I was T2 and so insulin wouldn't help and I was screwed.  I remember telli g the dietician I wanted to test before and after meals so I would know how foods affected me. He told me I shouldn't because strips are so expensive. I told my doctor who said no because I would hurt my fingers from all that testing. 

3)  The first 4 years after I was diagnose, I got to watch my brother die a horrible death due to a long series of diabetes complications. I don't want that to happen to me. That is my motivation. 

Yeah it's about complications, but it was less than a week between my brother going blind (first big hit in a long series) and my diagnosis. As I learned, I got to watch him get worse and worse. 

And then I got angry and I was determined to prove them all wrong. I do that when I get angry. Tell me I can't do something?  F you and the horse you rode in on. I'll show you. 

When between my doctor and insurance company I was only getting 25 strips a month, I told them both to go to H, switched to Walmart't ReliOn Prime meter and strips, and determined that NO One would ever limit my access to vital tools again. 

4)  No, I don't know any other diabetics IRL. My interactions are pretty much just here or medical professionals. 

5)  I'm currently on 500mg Metformin once a day. 

Edited by Kit

TX_Clint

47 here. But I was diabetic well before then. I had symptoms and asked for my doctor to test me. I had an A1c of 10.8. I currently use a basal insulin injection every night to control dawn phenomenon and 2000 mg of Metformin ER daily. I have taken just about every common medication available and have found that the basal insulin is the only way to control the dp at an affordable cost and with minimal risk of complications.

As to assistance from medical professionals for my diabetes, they write the scripts that I agree to and bill me. I don't do medication without discussing it with my Doctor and agreeing with the care plan. My current doctor wrote me a script for a Statin due to my total cholesterol being a couple of points over their limit. I didn't fill the prescription and told my physician at my next appointment that if he wished be my doctor to never ever prescribe anything without talking to me first unless I'm totally wacked out or in a coma.

BTW I know many T2 diabetics IRL and they run the full range from uncontrolled to really well controlled. 

steel

Thank you guys for responding. I didn't get notifications for this thread, so I just saw these.

@Kit I can't believe your doctor told you not to test frequently, because it'd hurt your fingers. What sort of condescending unprofessional advice is that? I was told to test...uh...once a week. So glad I got my info from df, bernstein and ruhl.

I am so sorry you had to witness your brother's decline, that too around the time of your own diagnosis. It's very traumatic, and I am so glad you have such a fighting spirit and will.

@TX_Clint I am glad the basal insulin works so well. I don't get the freakouts over cholesterol. Mine is 3 (3.4 is the upper limit for LDL), and I am told to lower it to 2, because I have diabetes. And that's not only unrealistic, it's unhealthy. No thanks. Statins have awful side effects too.

How long have you been on metformin and basal insulin? Do you have any plans for including bolus insulin too? It seems like you're doing great on the basal and metformin, so it may not be necessary. Thinking out loud:)

Edited by steel