Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

sweetstar

A1C at 7.0

Kit
56 minutes ago, Luposian said:

Speaking of side effects...

Anyone else noticed having “Sulphur Burps” and diarrhea after eating too much poultry/red meat?  I believe I recall reading that Metformin also slows the digestive process down (to reduce sugar spikes). If that’s the case, that would explain my episode this morning... just occurred to me last night.  I knew (instinctively) it was from eating “too much meat”, but I didn’t know why.  Now I know it’s because of the Metformin!  I don’t have any other issues taking Metformin, so I’ll just have to limit my “dense protein” to a couple small bites.  No more large steaks, lamb, fried chicken, etc.  Oh, well... all part of living...

I can't say I have every witnessed that behavior here.  I had very small and minor gastric reaction after I first started Metformin that went away after a week or two and have had nothing else since, and that's been over 5 years now.

I certainly overdid it on the meat yesterday.  I spent the day on the road with nowhere good to stop to eat lunch.  I ended up spending the day snacking on Duke's Smoked Shorty Sausages and a small bag of macadamia nuts.  Oh and about 4 gallons of water because wow there was a lot of salt.  :)

meyery2k

@Luposian - Welcome!  I think 7 is a great goal to start with.  You may find it is not too difficult to get there and be willing to try some more to get it closer to normal.  Many here are able to control diabetes through diet and exercise alone.  They started where you did.  Please share your progress with us and we will celebrate with you!  Once habits are developed to live with diabetes, they are not too difficult to stick to.  Especially with the positive reinforcement of good number and, possibly, not having to take any medication

The only time I ever had those "sulfur" burps where when I was suffering from some of my worse bouts of food poisoning.  Out of curiosity I once googled it and confirmed that some bacteria resposnsible for food poisoning do indeed cause this.  High protein can also be a cause.

Luposian
4 hours ago, Kit said:

I can't say I have every witnessed that behavior here.  I had very small and minor gastric reaction after I first started Metformin that went away after a week or two and have had nothing else since, and that's been over 5 years now.

I certainly overdid it on the meat yesterday.  I spent the day on the road with nowhere good to stop to eat lunch.  I ended up spending the day snacking on Duke's Smoked Shorty Sausages and a small bag of macadamia nuts.  Oh and about 4 gallons of water because wow there was a lot of salt.  :)

I had a whole piece of lamb for lunch and then had steak for dinner.  Too much “dense protein” (red meat) in one day for me.

Yeah, sounds like you gonzo’d on the sodium, for sure.  Don’t need high blood PRESSURE on top of high blood SUGAR.😀

Kit
3 hours ago, Luposian said:

I had a whole piece of lamb for lunch and then had steak for dinner.  Too much “dense protein” (red meat) in one day for me.

Yeah, sounds like you gonzo’d on the sodium, for sure.  Don’t need high blood PRESSURE on top of high blood SUGAR.😀

I do not have high blood glucose.  That is the number one thing I work towards.

I've never been able to eat enough protein in one sitting to see anything more than a small blip in my numbers from it.  I never caught myself above 100 yesterday, and was 86 this morning.  And I spent a good portion of yesterday sitting on my rear in the car.  I'm the first person to say it wasn't the best option.  I'd gotten a call from a friend who was stranded half way across the state and needed to be at work 6am this morning.  It was basically grab whatever I had that didn't require cooking or assembly and get out of town as fast as possible.

I've been lucky as I don't have blood pressure issues.  Every time I go to my doctor appointment the nurses comment that I have the blood pressure of a teenager and the doctor worries and fusses.  Since I am a diabetic, I am "supposed" to be on blood pressure medication.  But she can't ethically bring herself to prescribe a blood pressure med to someone whose blood pressure is around 90/60 almost every time I am at the office.

Instead I protect my kidneys, eyes, arteries, etc by trying to keep my BG levels in a totally non diabetic range.  Its not perfect control, once in a while I'll make a mistake, misjudge at a restaurant, miss a bad ingredient on a label, etc.  I got to watch my brother over the years.  more and more medication to protect this and protect that and "diabetes is progressive", and similar.  Total and utter bullshoot.  Despite the medications his eyes failed and he went blind, his kidneys failed and he went on dialysis, his circulation got worse and worse (side affect of poorly controlled phosphorus levels, which screws up metabolism of other nutrients like calcium) and he ended up having a leg amputated.  And they fussed and fretted about most of it, but none of them were ever all that concerned about his BG levels and they were content if his A1C was around 7.0.

I still have a picture of my brother in the hospital.  He had been septic, hallucinating.  This was not long after they amputated his leg.  He was finally strong enough to be able to sit up in bed while he was fed the hospital's "diabetic approved" breakfast of French toast, syrup, and a big bowl of Cheerios with non fat milk.

Edited by Kit