Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
joseph Britz

Blood sugar levels

joseph Britz

Hey guys & gals.. I'm pre-D,  a1c of 5.9. The only time my numbers are high is first thing in the morning.. That's it..After searching & searching the Web, med sites, any & everything about diabetes I have come to the understanding that high numbers are bad, how bad, no one really knows. How high can they be before damage takes place, well..No one knows. Diet & a active lifestyle is helpful to most folks, not everyone. On & on it goes. We know diabetes is damaging & can cause many issues that may or may not have taken place in your life. The best I can tell I have been deal with a pre-dawn bump my entire life. The way my journey started was I let a friend take my fasting blood sugar very early  it was 120ish... My friend being a diabetic shared with me that it was a little high.  That was many years ago.. I continue to see what i can do to get my morning numbers down, under 100 would be nice ...BUT, that just doesn't happen to often, when it does I can't put my finger on what I did differently.. So, that brings me to where I am. 5.9 a1c fasting.. 2 hours after eating most anything 100ish to 120ish, remember ,eating ANYTHING. I can get reading in the high 80's when eating very little & being busy/active... I am 67 years old my weight is high 190's most of the time sometimes low 190's. I am in good shape , watch what I eat & check my blood sugar level often. I stay way from anything white, anything. I also avoid anything wrapped in plastic or that comes through a Drive-Thru window. I do feel that dawn phenomenon is at issue in my case & I wonder if I could have had it from birth.. ? Does my body think I need the extra  peep to get out there & catch some food first think in the morning for the family. Has anyone had dawn phenomenon for their entire life ? The more I search, the more I realize that everyone has a different understanding/opinion, that would include doctors. I'l end on this note...My doctor says watch your sugar intake Joe, I do, I do.. Feel free to comment & add more confusion to my already confused understanding of Diabetes... Blessings to each and everyone of ya.. Joe 

meyery2k

@joseph Britz - Welcome!  Half the battle is trying to figure out how you work.  I can only comment on what I can observe which, unfortunately, is not much.  I had not seen a doctor for a good 10-15 years running and then, when I finally went, it was discovered that I was presenting with clinical T2.  My first morning's reading after I got my meter was nearly 300.

It took me some time but I have found that with reasonable exercise and a good diet with low carbohydrates (complex ones vs. simple), I consistently keep a fasting number below 100.  I rarely go over 110 after eating.

You have developed some great habits.  Eating to your meter is one of the key ones.

Some people have reported that having a small snack before bed helps with DP.  Others have had success with apple cider vinegar mixed in water, some a shot of spirits.  Just some food for thought.

I am sure, as others encounter your post, they will generously share their experiences with you. ~ Mike

stevenal
7 hours ago, joseph Britz said:

I do feel that dawn phenomenon is at issue in my case & I wonder if I could have had it from birth.. ? Does my body think I need the extra  peep to get out there & catch some food first think in the morning for the family. Has anyone had dawn phenomenon for their entire life ? 

Yes, yes, and yes. We get that extra shot of glucose in the morning for the reason you give, but when combined with insulin resistance it causes blood glucose to rise. I've had no luck in bringing the morning numbers down. Bernstein likes the extended release version of metformin for this reason, but you wouldn't be able to prove it by me.

TX_Clint

The only way I’ve had control over dp is by taking basal insulin before bed. The basal insulin peaks about 8 hrs after injection.

joseph Britz
On 1/11/2019 at 3:26 PM, stevenal said:

Yes, yes, and yes. We get that extra shot of glucose in the morning for the reason you give, but when combined with insulin resistance it causes blood glucose to rise. I've had no luck in bringing the morning numbers down. Bernstein likes the extended release version of metformin for this reason, but you wouldn't be able to prove it by me.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:35 PM, meyery2k said:

@joseph Britz - Welcome!  Half the battle is trying to figure out how you work.  I can only comment on what I can observe which, unfortunately, is not much.  I had not seen a doctor for a good 10-15 years running and then, when I finally went, it was discovered that I was presenting with clinical T2.  My first morning's reading after I got my meter was nearly 300.

It took me some time but I have found that with reasonable exercise and a good diet with low carbohydrates (complex ones vs. simple), I consistently keep a fasting number below 100.  I rarely go over 110 after eating.

You have developed some great habits.  Eating to your meter is one of the key ones.

Some people have reported that having a small snack before bed helps with DP.  Others have had success with apple cider vinegar mixed in water, some a shot of spirits.  Just some food for thought.

I am sure, as others encounter your post, they will generously share their experiences with you. ~ Mike

On 1/11/2019 at 12:35 PM, meyery2k said:

Thank you for the info.. Question , you are taking NO meds ?

joseph Britz
On 1/11/2019 at 3:26 PM, stevenal said:

question , is the morning the only time your get high numbers ? Any Meds ?

meyery2k

I was initially prescribed with Metformin but I no longer need it.  For now, diet and exercise are helping me.  It fixed a bunch of other stuff wrong with me too.

When I was first diagnosed I was morbidly obese at 313 pounds.  The doctor suggested losing 15 pounds to help get a handle on diabetes.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to lose the weight so I just went for it and lost 100 pounds in a year.  I suspect this helped a lot as well.

I am still insulin resistant so I stay away from simple carbs.

stevenal
On 1/13/2019 at 4:00 AM, joseph Britz said:

question , is the morning the only time your get high numbers ? Any Meds ?

Yes. Diet takes care of the rest of the time. Metformin ER.

joseph Britz

I think one of the best single things I do is...No White, No white anything. Nothing in my mouth that is white. That is the easiest single rule I can follow 90% of the time & does make a difference in my BS level. I would like to see that number at or near 100. I run in the 115 to 125 & it will correct it's self if a few hours. I am then good until the next morning..  I tried vinegar the last few day, it made no difference & gave me heartburn..Ouch.. I'l keep looking.. Blessings everyone & good luck...

Joe