Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

crashandburn

Teeth issues and question about insurance

crashandburn

Hi all, i have been diabetic since i was 14, i never went to the dentist much but they were in pretty good condition until i got diabetes. Once i hit 18, after the diabetes im guessing being in my body for those few years my teeth started to get really bad and to this day are extremely bad, i have been reading up and saw it mentioned that medical insurance could help potentially and am wondering if anyone has some insight into this. I am only 33 and would like to potentially get something besides dentures as i know many people with them that have issues with them compared to actual teeth and i also dont wanna have to worry with my mouth anymore. My plan soon is to goto a dentist and see what options they have, i have around $10,000-$15,000 to spend on my teeth though the less i spend the better. Any advice would be much appreciated and would love to know if its caused by a medical condition if the insurance would then help out some.

OneEye

Your mouth will adapt to tooth loss. Your jawline will shift accordingly; the sooner you get implants, the better. As to "dentures": Dentures are like all man-made things...there's good denture makers and so-so denture makers. I would think the horror stories come from cheap dentures.

I doubt you have enough for "well-placed" implants as of now...but you do have enough for "well-made" dentures. They may seem a bother to have at first...but like everything else new and bothersome in life...you get used to it.

Good luck!

dowling gram

I suggest you don't go through a dentist for false teeth. They do do implants but I don't know if they are more expensive than going through a Denturist. I'd consult both before doing anything. Of course you'll need a dentist to extract your teeth but not necessarily to make dentures.

Dentists do not make false teeth--neither dentures or the teeth to be implanted. A dentist will put in the rods for the implants but the teeth are made by denturists and that's why they may be more expensive. When I needed dentures I asked other people who wore false teeth who they went to and if they were satisfied with the fit and service offered by the denturist. It took a while but finally one name was mentioned most often. I called and made an appointment. (Do this before you get your teeth pulled. ) They put the denture in right after the last extractions and they like to see te way your teeth are placed in your mouth. After the first cast was made he called me in for repeated fittings and the end results were well fitted teeth that did not slip around or hurt in any way. Suction holds them firmly in my mouth.

I only needed top dentures and after a couple of weeks I barely noticed them in my mouth. If you need lowers and can afford them that's the place to get the implants. It is much harder to get used to lower dentures and you have to get used to a different way of biting and chewing. Implants are very expensive and your amount of money may not cover both uppers and lowers

crashandburn

I considered screw aligned if i have to go that route though thats a potential option but considering 4 to 6 teeth can be 10,000 im not sure if i can afford them either