Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

Question about water weight gain...

Hammer

I have put on at least 20 pounds of water weight for no apparent reason.  My whole body shows this extra weight.  It started a few days after I started taking the two new blood pressure medicines that the doctor gave me for my angina.  I attributed the water retention to those two pills, but I stopped taking the pills for a week and the water retention didn't go away, plus the cardiologist said that those pills wouldn't cause water retention.  After the water weight started, I had my usual 4 month blood work done, and my liver function tests were actually really improved, so much so that they fell in the middle of the normal range, which they haven't been in a long time.  My kidney tests were the same...in the middle of the normal range, so those tests ruled out any liver or kidney problems.  The only other thing that I know of that can cause you to retain water is heart or cardiovascular problems.  Since I know that I have both, I called the cardiologist and asked him what I should do.  He suggested that I stop taking my amlodipine for a week to see if that made any difference....it didn't.  He said that, if that didn't work, then he would try putting me on a stronger diuretic.

I decided to try an over the counter diuretic first, Horsetail Grass, to see if that helps.(it's supposed to be delivered today.)  What I'm confused about is, how can my body be dehydrated, which it always is, and yet still be retaining water?  My one blood pressure pill that I've been taking  twice a day for 16 years, Losartan HCTZ, contains a diuretic, plus, as a diabetic, we are all dehydrated to some degree.  I exercise every day working up a sweat, and I have a few drinks most nights, which also dehydrates me.  I limit my sodium intake, as I know from past experience that too much sodium makes me swell up a bit, but not as much as I am now.

Does anyone know how you can be dehydrated and still have a lot of water retention?  My feet are so swollen that it's hard for me to get my shoes on, my ankles, legs, arms and hands look really large.  I've had to loosen my belt two notches, and it looks as if I'll have to dig out my old, larger jeans, since my present jeans are getting too tight.

Thoughts anyone?

OneEye

Pretty much the same problem since my heart surgery. 5 different doctors prescribed 9 different medications that sent me back to the hospital. One medication wasn't enough...the Lasix (Furosemide) for pulmonary edema. My feet were so swollen they looked like balloons. In the hospital, the second time, the doctor put me on Lasix IV; 40mg, mL...whatever, twice a day. By day 4 I was off oxygen and discharged with a script for 40mg of Lasix 3 times a day for the first 3 days...then 1 tablet twice a day. I titrated that down right away to 1 tablet a day and my edema seems to be under control. If you're taking a diuretic that's working...you'll be using the bathroom maybe once every two hours, minimum. If not...I doubt the diuretic is doing its job.

I also find that the more water my body retains...I get short of breath easier. Water retention around the heart and lungs.

FWIW

Edited by OneEye

adiantum

I've always had water retention in the hands & feet  on really hot days & of my lower legs  when its   around 100F, but only if I dont drink enough water.

An old  neighbour complained of this when she was in a nursing home, & they told her the same..drink more water.

Yours sounds more serious Hammer, hope you find the cause.

Kit
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Does anyone know how you can be dehydrated and still have a lot of water retention?  My feet are so swollen that it's hard for me to get my shoes on, my ankles, legs, arms and hands look really large.  I've had to loosen my belt two notches, and it looks as if I'll have to dig out my old, larger jeans, since my present jeans are getting too tight.

When we are dehydrated, the body actually fights to retain water in its tissues.  The more we get dehydrated, the worse this can become.  Drinking more water helps the body realize its not in a crisis situation and will release that stored water from the tissues.

Not the only reason this might be happening, but one reason you can be dehydrated and still have edema at the same time.

Edited by Kit

Hammer
57 minutes ago, Kit said:

When we are dehydrated, the body actually fights to retain water in its tissues.  The more we get dehydrated, the worse this can become.  Drinking more water helps the body realize its not in a crisis situation and will release that stored water from the tissues.

Not the only reason this might be happening, but one reason you can be dehydrated and still have edema at the same time.

Thanks Kit!  I was wondering about that...drinking more water to help with the edema, since I drink very little water.  I only drink bottled water since the water coming out of my well is contaminated with toxic waste, and if I just drink water, I might drink 1 or 2 bottles a day, if that.  

I guess it's just a coincidence that the water retention started a few days after I started on these two new blood pressure medicines.  The thing is, I've always consumed very little water, and I've never had this problem until now.  I guess that my body probably has changed in some way that is causing this to happen.  I've been thinking about getting some of those compression socks to get rid of the water retention in my feet, ankles and calves, but that wouldn't help with the water retention every where else.  I'll just have to experiment with different things to see if anything works.

Hammer
4 hours ago, OneEye said:

Pretty much the same problem since my heart surgery. 5 different doctors prescribed 9 different medications that sent me back to the hospital. One medication wasn't enough...the Lasix (Furosemide) for pulmonary edema. My feet were so swollen they looked like balloons. In the hospital, the second time, the doctor put me on Lasix IV; 40mg, mL...whatever, twice a day. By day 4 I was off oxygen and discharged with a script for 40mg of Lasix 3 times a day for the first 3 days...then 1 tablet twice a day. I titrated that down right away to 1 tablet a day and my edema seems to be under control. If you're taking a diuretic that's working...you'll be using the bathroom maybe once every two hours, minimum. If not...I doubt the diuretic is doing its job.

I also find that the more water my body retains...I get short of breath easier. Water retention around the heart and lungs.

FWIW

The cardiologist said that if stopping the amlodipine didn't work, that he would put me on Lasix.  I decided to try the Horsetail Grass first, to see what that will do.  As it stands now, I already have to go to the bathroom about every 60 minutes, and about every two hours after I go to bed (that makes it impossible to get a good night's sleep).  I also get short of breath all of the time.  The weird thing is, I get short of breath if I just walk from the bedroom to the kitchen, but if I pedal my exercise bike for 60 minutes, I don't get short of breath....go figure...  It's as if, if I continue exerting myself, the shortness of breath goes away, and I am fine.  I mentioned this to my doctors, and they didn't seem too concerned.

OneEye
37 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I also get short of breath all of the time.  The weird thing is, I get short of breath if I just walk from the bedroom to the kitchen, but if I pedal my exercise bike for 60 minutes, I don't get short of breath....go figure...  It's as if, if I continue exerting myself, the shortness of breath goes away, and I am fine.  I mentioned this to my doctors, and they didn't seem too concerned.

I get the same thing. Being short-term vertical taxes me...but if I walk the garbage out to the dumpster and back I'm less out of breath. Has no rhyme or reason to it. I do know that when I'm less edemic my oxygen level is better.

TX_Clint

My wife has had trouble with adema for over 10 years. It's mostly in her left leg and it can become too swollen for shoes. The doctor had her on 40mg of lasix for over two years with little improvement. Her new doctor upped her dosage to 80mg and now she's back into her shoes and doing fine. We have also noticed that minimal grain products is very helpful so she is close to matching my low carb diet now. The symptoms that prompted her doctor to raise her dosage were a low oxygen level, shortness of breath and swelling.

I'd recommend trying the lasix and a lot a fluids.

Hammer

When I drink just water, I drink very little because I am not thirsty.  I've tried on numerous occasions to force myself to drink more water, and every time I did that, it gave me diarrhea.  While it's not the same as drinking water, I do drink 2-4 liters of Sprite Zero (formerly Diet Sprite) every day, and that is mostly just water with a touch of flavoring.  I would think that drinking that much would satisfy my body's need to save fluids, which is causing the water retention.

I've taken the Horsetail Grass supplement for one day now with no results, but it's only been one day, so I'll have to see if it does anything after a week.  If it doesn't, I'll call the cardiologist and ask for the Lasix. (Geez, that would mean that I'd be taking 9 different prescription medications.)