Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
prateek027

Want to bring my LDL down naturally

prateek027

My doctor is forcing me to start medication for my cholesterol. I am really scared and don't want start medication and want to bring the numbers down naturally.

Looking for suggestion on what food to eat and what to avoid. 

Below are my numbers. Are they really bad and cannot be controlled without medicines? That's what my doctor says:

LDL - 146 (normal <100)

HDL - 45 (normal > 40)

Non HDL Cholesterol - 169 (normal <130)

Triglycerides - 117 (normal <150)

Chol/HDLC Ratio 4.8  (normal <5.0)

Cholesterol Total - 214 (normal <200)

Last 2 A1c's were 6 and 5.7.

Thanks in advance!!!

TX_Clint

IMHO your doctor can use those meds for suppositories. He certainly can not make you take any medication you do not want. There are many debates ongoing about cholesterol. IMHO your numbers are not that high. Mine were similar the last time I had tests. My doctor doesn’t even bother testing anymore.

ran23

To get off $$ cholesterol med's, I did my best to stop those foods and starting using Beta-Glucan.  this was years before it became popular.  I believe I was doing 600mg daily,  oil soluble, so I was taking it with flax seed oil.   May have taken a couple months and I had a local Lab (part of HealthcheckUSA.com) that I tested every 2-3 weeks until I had a LDL of 97,  my Doctor accepted that.    Mine was a combo of Beta glucan, Mixed Phytosterols and Soy Isoflavones.   $135 a month med's for almost 6 years, then I lost 55 lbs and tried these supplements.    good luck. 

samuraiguy

For me it was a combo of maintaining a healthy weight, eating less carbs, exercising more and eating fats according to the Mediterranean diet; nuts, tuna, olive oil, olives, etc...

Carol_42
1 hour ago, TX_Clint said:

IMHO your doctor can use those meds for suppositories. He certainly can not make you take any medication you do not want.

Clint you made my day ROTFWL.  My cholesterol goes up and down but it's never that bad, even though it says High.  I'll never take Statin drugs.

Carol_42
1 hour ago, samuraiguy said:

For me it was a combo of maintaining a healthy weight, eating less carbs, exercising more and eating fats according to the Mediterranean diet; nuts, tuna, olive oil, olives, etc...

Great response. 

meyery2k

Low Carb and High Fat along with exercise for me.  I have never had a problem with cholesterol.  My Mom also never had trouble with it either.  Now blood pressure on the other hand...

Type 2 Fighter

My cholesterol levels were “very bad.”

i told doc my body was reacting to weight loss and I’ve never felt better in my adult life. 

I said the numbers will resolve. 

He was fine. 

Admin was not. 

They pressured me to go on statins. 

I know what statins do and the $ the medical facility gets.  

I had to fill the script to avoid being labeled a trouble maker or being dropped. 

I will not take a single pill. 

Well, two days after filling the script I did free screening. 

My cholesterol dropped more than 30% in less than 2 months. 

jamesmatheson

I know I probably should say too much because my answer will always be the same,

you should ask for intravenous food, they give it to everyone who cant open their jaw

it isn't new and it always works,

it will definitely drop your blood sugar to any level the intravenous food is

whatever the nutrients you need the intravenous food will always have

if you convince your doctor to give it to you then  I need intravenous food also

there are people who lived for decades just on intravenous food and nothing else

please post this to other people so it doesn't look like im spamming everyone about this topic

I should be able to tell my doctor I want intravenous food and they should give it to me, just like a person who is at risk

of a heart attack or a person who cant open their jaw because I am at risk of heart attack and it is a very serious risk

Edited by jamesmatheson

Hammer

I would suggest that you take an omega-3 supplement, if you are not already doing so.  There are many omega-3 supplements out there, but I take the Mega Red Omega-3 Krill Oil supplement (the 800mg gel caps).  If they don't have the 800mg gel caps when I go to buy it, I'll buy the 500mg gel caps and take two. Supposedly, krill oil is absorbed better than regular fish oil.  I like this brand because it's enteric coated so that you don't burp up that fish taste.  I have seen other brands that are similar, and they were less money, so you might want to shop around. When I started taking Mega Red, I was already taking WelChol to help lower my cholesterol, but that only lowered my cholesterol by 18 points....from 179 to 161.  I started on Mega Red, and 3 months later when I had my usual 3 month blood work done, my cholesterol dropped 43 points....down to a 118.  I haven't change my diet or my exercise routine, the only thing that I added was the krill oil.  Since then, my cholesterol has slightly risen to 127.  I don't remember what my LDL cholesterol was back then, but now it's 65.  My HDL cholesterol is now at 48....my VLDL cholesterol is 14.  Also, my triglycerides are 69. 

I can't help but think that if a person eats a lot of fish, that they might be getting plenty of omega-3 in their diet without the need for a supplement.  Myself, I might eat tuna fish once in a while, or order salmon when I dine out, but that's not enough to give me enough omega-3 in my diet, that's why I take the Mega Red supplement.

georgepds
On 1/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, Hammer said:

I would suggest that you take an omega-3 supplement, if you are not already doing so.

Stick to EPA, the DHA will raise your LDL

"In head-to-head comparisons, DHA increased LDL cholesterol by 2.6% whereasEPA decreased LDL cholesterol by 0.7%. ... Lovaza (omega-3 fatty acid ethyl esters, GlaxoSmithKline) is currently approved for the treatment of elevated triglyceride levels, but its use often results in an increase in LDL cholesterol.May 24, 2011"

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/743305

dowling gram

The Cholesterol theory is a big farce. It was espoused by Ancel Keys faulty research and doctors pounced on it. I'm 78 years old and my cholesterol has been high my entire life. I don't have high blood pressure and have had no heart problems. Many doctors have tried to put me on Statins but I refused to take them. Your doctor is not looking over your shoulder and he can't force you to take anything you don't want to take. Take the script and tear it up or don't pick them up if you don't want to confront him. Personally I tell doctors the truth that I will not take them. I armed myself with Ancel Keys research and the side effects of statins the first time I confronted a doctor but not any more. I just refuse to take them and I've never had an argument.

I( have my age backing me up. The latest research shows that people over 65 don't benefit from taking statins

Kit

My mother recently had a heart stress test, etc.  Result, her veins and arteries and squeaky clean.  The cardiologist was shocked since she's in her mid 70s,  apparently her cholesterol levels have been really high for a long time, and she's an ex smoker.

Now her high blood pressure is another matter.

Edited by Kit

dowling gram

Kit--Meditation is a good blood pressure reducer. I can lower my blood pressure at will and I do it every time I'm in a doctors waiting room as well as a couple of times throughout the day. Doctors are always surprised at my blood pressure. Apparently I have the blood pressure of an 18 year old. All it takes is 5 or 10 minutes of slow steady breathing and an empty mind. It does take some getting used to but now I can do it at will

Kit

I highly suspect my mom is addicted to stress hormones.  She must feel like she's in control, and she feels like she's in control when she's angry about something.  I've actually watched the behavior as its become very noticeable the last handful of years.

If she is feeling sad or scared, she will dredge up some perceived wrong that happened decades ago just to get herself all angry about something.  When I was there for my brother's funeral and while she was going through chemo and radiation for colon cancer, she picked fights constantly with everyone and anyone.  Or she would pace around the house constantly muttering about how everyone had hurt my brother over the years.  Over and over and over.  It was exhausting.  My brother was always his own worst enemy.  That had been obvious for a long time.  I would tell her that he is gone now and no one can hurt him again.  That would calm her down for a few minutes, and then she would work herself up again.

Both her cardiologist and her GP are both saying her high BP is mostly related to stress, anxiety, and similar.  They prescribed her two anti anxiety medicines at the lowest dosages, which she refuses to take.  She sees it as a betrayal by them for giving her "tranquilizers".  Yet, the couple times she has taken one, her BP has dropped like a stone which reinforces in my mind that they are likely either correct or very close to it.

Oh, and when I mention high blood pressure, I mean numbers over 200/100.

Edited by Kit

dowling gram

Ya Kit Stress will do it. You really have had your share dealing with your family. I hope you don't let her stress get to you. You don't need to carry that burden too.

Kit
1 hour ago, dowling gram said:

Ya Kit Stress will do it. You really have had your share dealing with your family. I hope you don't let her stress get to you. You don't need to carry that burden too.

I refuse to let it get to me this time.  I didn't really realize what was going on until her colon cancer and my brother's death.  Then had to take a year to really process it.

This time I play no games like I did with my brother.  If I am not contacted, oh well.  I will not be chasing people down trying to get more information and playing into the drama of it all.  if I am contacted, oh well.

stevenal

My doctor had me on "low dose" simvastatin. After the fissures in my feet extended from sandal season to year round, I decided to look up the side effects. The two most memorable are diabetes and dry skin. Do they really prescribe this for people that already have diabetes and the resulting neuropathy caused dry skin? I'm not really a believer in the cholesterol hypothesis, but to keep my doctor happy I've been taking ezetimibe. My feet are much happier. 

Hammer

I'm kinda suspicious about the cholesterol hypothesis myself.  When I was still working at the factory, I worked with an electrician who told me that his whole family has always had high cholesterol levels....his grandparents, his aunts and uncles, his parents, his brothers and sisters, etc., and they never had any heart or cardiovascular issues.  He said that his cholesterol level was 333, which was about the same as all of his other relatives, and his grandparents were in their 90's.  He said that doctors put him on various types of cholesterol medicines, but none of them lowered his cholesterol levels, yet he had no issues with his cholesterol levels being that high.

It kinda reminds me of what the doctors used to prescribe for people with stress and blood pressure issues, back in the late 1800's and early 1900's....they used to prescribe smoking cigarettes, and we all know how that worked out.🙄

lildiabeto

Consider using avacado oil in your diet it does work well. also look into information about Guava leafs and water mixed into water and strained after being ground up in the blender. It also has been helpful in reducing high fluxation of sugar levels with diabetics.