Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Averaoxi

Questions about the use of CBD and cannabis

Averaoxi

So, as of late I'm considering taking CBD oil as a means of helping me manage diabetes. My biggest issues have to do with

• What if it shows up on any future blood work I take
  • Will they care if it shows up

If anyone has any personal experiences with this, I'd love to hear it.

Kit

1)  Yes, CBD is a cannabinoid and will show up on blood work that is looking for it.

2)  It depends on where you live?  Which country?  If you are in the US, which state?  And even then, which employer?  Its been legal here in Washington state for a number of years now.  yet I know of at least a few employers who test potential employees for it and other drugs.

While I personally have absolutely nothing against cannabis, I am not aware of anything which shows that CBD or THC will assist in lowering BG levels.  I have heard of CBD being helpful with neuropathy, but that's as far as it goes.

Averaoxi
2 minutes ago, Kit said:

1)  Yes, CBD is a cannabinoid and will show up on blood work that is looking for it.

2)  It depends on where you live?  Which country?  If you are in the US, which state?  And even then, which employer?  Its been legal here in Washington state for a number of years now.  yet I know of at least a few employers who test potential employees for it and other drugs.

While I personally have absolutely nothing against cannabis, I am not aware of anything which shows that CBD or THC will assist in lowering BG levels.  I have heard of CBD being helpful with neuropathy, but that's as far as it goes.

I mean, I am doing this more than just helping with blood sugar. I'm also doing it in relation to the breathing issues I mentioned in the other post, and to help manage my depression with.

Now this wouldn't be for a work-related situation, just if my endocrinologist or what ever doctor had requested blood work, if they'd even care.

Btw I live in the state of Ohio, where it's decriminalized.

Kit

Actually that's the fun part of the American medical system and insurance companies.  Doctor's need a good reason to run any tests on us.  Otherwise the insurance companies won't pay for it.  This is actually why they don't run any tests we might request.  They either know the insurance company will refuse or don't want to deal with the hoops they have to jump through in order for the insurance companies to pay for it.

Are you considering edibles, vaping, or old fashioned smoking?  If you are having breathing problems, smoking or vaping may make the situation worse.  Be careful of edibles.  Like everything else in this world, they tend to be crammed full of sugar.

Now if your issue is more psychological/emotional, which could be a very real possibility, then CBD may very well help.  If this started when you started insulin, well it started at a likely quite stressful point in your life and I know for a fact anxiety can cause all sorts of responses in the body.

Averaoxi
Just now, Kit said:

Actually that's the fun part of the American medical system and insurance companies.  Doctor's need a good reason to run any tests on us.  Otherwise the insurance companies won't pay for it.  This is actually why they don't run any tests we might request.  They either know the insurance company will refuse or don't want to deal with the hoops they have to jump through in order for the insurance companies to pay for it.

Are you considering edibles, vaping, or old fashioned smoking?  If you are having breathing problems, smoking or vaping may make the situation worse.  Be careful of edibles.  Like everything else in this world, they tend to be crammed full of sugar.

Now if your issue is more psychological/emotional, which could be a very real possibility, then CBD may very well help.  If this started when you started insulin, well it started at a likely quite stressful point in your life and I know for a fact anxiety can cause all sorts of responses in the body.

Actually my depression started at, I think, around the time I started noticing the signs of diabetes. Or at least my long-term depression. It actually got better when I started taking care of my blood sugar, but it got worse after some issues with my medication.

But yeah, I was just informed by someone who has worked in the medical industry, that they won't even know it's there unless they actively tested for it.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, I'm actually trying CBD oil tonight, likely within a few minutes.

Kit

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I hope it helps. 

Something else to be aware of. High BG levels can affect us emotionally. Anger, frustration, unreasonableness, and other responses. Quick changes in BG levels can trigger anxiety in me. I get shake and nervous. It's surprising how it can have an affect on us. 

meyery2k

I would like to post to second @Kit.  When my BG was sitting at 300 fasting, my temper was much quicker to flare than it is now.  I also remember having a sort of apathy towards things that I no longer have.  Especially health.  I figured I was so messed up, nothing would fix me.  I am so happy to discover that was not even near the truth.