Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Bar&In

Insulin Just Stopped Working

Bar&In

Hello,

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for about 5 years now. I have pretty good control, low to mid 5 A1C, and eat a lchf diet for the most part while doing cardio on the regular. That’s not to say I don’t have my bad stretches but I’m usually able to figure it out and get back on track. This time is different, been about 10 days now and still stuck on how to resolve the issue.

I have been 300 plus at almost all times I check over the past 10 days, regardless of how much insulin I pump into me. I have changed vials, changed site locations, cleaned up diet, upped cardio, etc. all in attempts to fix this issue but seems I’m just getting worse.WTH!

So does anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,

Andy 

DanG

I need ideas for the same issue - thanks for the topic.

My type1 began 45-years ago using single shot each day of lente beef/pork insulin and that worked perfect for 30-years when animal insulin was not made anymore.  Levemir/Apidra/Humalog/etc were all tried but without insurance, those are terribly expensive.  I'm a grown-up so no doctor and no prescription so now the insulin is NPH/Regular over-the-counter which is affordable.

For the past month - its as if injections contain no insulin, so less food is enjoyed.  I enjoy food so this is not enjoyment.  My numbers are not as high as your numbers but they do not stay down well at all so I contemplated posting some sort of question here.  Thanks for posting this topic - let's hope others have input - - we need a fix.  One idea that goes thru my mind is that this is some latent cold-weather (-30 here today) sickness.  A cough or stomach upset is out in the open and can be fixed, but this? - weird stuff and now I find maybe I'm not the ONLY one?  Possibly other sickness?  Another idea is that coffee needs to be quit for a while - it has been noted that caffeine brings on insulin-resistance which seems YUK since I enjoy my morning cuppa.

Hammer

If you are taking the correct amount of insulin, and you are still getting high numbers, then there is a good possibility that the insulin is bad.  I've experienced this a number of times in the past, and although I am a type two on insulin, it's easy for me to see when the insulin goes bad.  I've had insulin go bad overnight....one day it works fine and the next day, it doesn't.  I've had my basal insulin (Lantus) go bad, and I've had my bolus insulin (Novolog) go bad.  When that happened, I blamed the mail order pharmacy that I am forced to use by my insurance company.  When I'd get a shipment of insulin, and opening the package, the temperature inside the package was 90 degrees. (it felt warm to me, so I placed a thermometer inside the package.)  I ended up calling the insulin manufacturer and they sent a new batch of insulin to my doctor's office, and I had to pick it up. (They can't send the insulin directly to you since they don't have the prescription for it.)

I use insulin pens, and there was an instance where I had 40 bad insulin pens (Lantus) that I had to have replaced.  There was another time where I had to have 35 Novolog pens replaced, and in each instance, I felt that it was the negligence of the mail order pharmacy's shipping methods that caused the pens to go bad.

Bar&In...if you think that the insulin might be bad, call your doctor to see if he/she has any samples that they can give you.  If they do have some samples to give you, using those will let you know if your insulin is bad.

davidtype1

It might be bad insulin or you are developing scar tissue.  Try changing your insulin or injection sites.