Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Averaoxi

Question about legalities with my endocrinologist

Averaoxi

So I'm having an endocrinologist appointment pretty soon, and I was wondering if I make a request for him to test my blood if I have any issues with my thyroid, or for something like Hyperthyroidism, if he's legally obligated to do so. Thanks.

adiantum

Not in my country he isnt.

The endo is the professional & it's his learned opinion that dictates the requested pathology .

I'm sure he would be prepared to discuss your requests and consider or disregard them at his discretion.

May I suggest you walk on eggshells & dont make an enemy of  your healthcare professionals.

Find a new one if you dont like the one your seeing, but dont make them your enemy.

Averaoxi
4 hours ago, adiantum said:

Not in my country he isnt.

The endo is the professional & it's his learned opinion that dictates the requested pathology .

I'm sure he would be prepared to discuss your requests and consider or disregard them at his discretion.

May I suggest you walk on eggshells & dont make an enemy of  your healthcare professionals.

Find a new one if you dont like the one your seeing, but dont make them your enemy.

Ok here's the thing. He doesn't care about listening to what I have to say. This isn't about me making enemies, this is about me getting the help I need.

And you're acting as if I'm not trying to look for a new one. Unfortunately, I'm lucky to have healthcare to begin with, and what I have doesn't give me a lot of options, I can't just go around and pick a new doctor like I can pick candy from a candy store.

meyery2k

@Averaoxi - Respectfully, the best advice we know how to give is being offered.   You have stated that your endo is not listening.  Communication is not effective, as you realize, unless both parties are actively listening to one another.

I know some people have had success going to the lab, ordering tests, and paying out of pocket.  While a little painful financially, you will have the tests and know the results.

You can also perform an internet search for the services that are available in your community.

It is very frustrating when someone doesn't listen.  I hope you are able to resolve this with your existing endo or find a new one that is better suited for you.  I have a similar situation with the dermatologist I see.  He has zero "bedside manner".  I try to like him but it isn't going to happen.  Fortunately, he is good at what he does, he just has zero personality (or at least one that I don't care for).

Averaoxi
11 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

@Averaoxi - Respectfully, the best advice we know how to give is being offered.   You have stated that your endo is not listening.  Communication is not effective, as you realize, unless both parties are actively listening to one another.

I know some people have had success going to the lab, ordering tests, and paying out of pocket.  While a little painful financially, you will have the tests and know the results.

You can also perform an internet search for the services that are available in your community.

It is very frustrating when someone doesn't listen.  I hope you are able to resolve this with your existing endo or find a new one that is better suited for you.  I have a similar situation with the dermatologist I see.  He has zero "bedside manner".  I try to like him but it isn't going to happen.  Fortunately, he is good at what he does, he just has zero personality (or at least one that I don't care for).

Even though he kind of assumed what my doctor was like, despite that he's never met my doctor.

I've already done my best trying to tell my doctor my concerns, he doesn't even let me finish my question and just kinda passively treats me like I'm wrong about my concerns.

adiantum

I didnt mean to sound like I was throwing negatives at you .

On the contrary, I  was trying to warn you about the fragile egos some of these health providers have, yet  they have the power to make the clients very difficult. They can even have ones drivers license restricted  by reporting the client as non compliant.

Endos here are few and in high demand, so I realise we have to try & fit in with their quirks.

7 hours ago, Averaoxi said:

Ok here's the thing. He doesn't care about listening to what I have to say. This isn't about me making enemies, this is about me getting the help I need.

And you're acting as if I'm not trying to look for a new one. Unfortunately, I'm lucky to have healthcare to begin with, and what I have doesn't give me a lot of options, I can't just go around and pick a new doctor like I can pick candy from a candy store.