Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

Google Earth Pro

Hammer

I don't know if anyone has used Google Earth Pro (not the basic Google Earth version), but I've played with it a bit, and found it to be quite interesting.  Originally, Google Earth Pro cost $400 a year, but now it's free.  Keep in mind that Google Earth Pro is not Google maps, it's a lot more than that.  If you type in an address, it will zoom in to that state, then that city, then your house.  I typed in my address and it zoomed into my house and I could see my cars parked in the driveway.  While that's not anything to write home about, I placed a push pin in that location, then saved that location, then typed in another address.  Once it located that address, I placed a push pin on that location, then clicked on the the ruler icon.  I now moved the cursor to my push pin and clicked on it, I then moved the cursor over to the second push pin, which was a yellow line, and clicked on the second push pin.  Once I had done that, I clicked on save and the yellow line turned red.  Once it turned red, I right clicked on the red line and in the menu that popped up, I clicked on "Elevation Profile".  This brought up a graph that showed the elevation of the terrain from my house to the second location.  As a ham operator, this is important to know, since point to point radio communications is affected by the terrain between two stations.  This also helped when our radio club was going to set up temporary radio stations at a local park for our annual Field Day.  Using Google Earth Pro, the club was able to zoom in on the park, then use the ruler function to measure the distance between some of the trees at the park, and that let us know which trees we could use to place our wire antennas between

There is a lot more that Google Earth can do, but I've only played with it few times.  We had one of my radio club members give a short demonstration of it, but even though I took notes, there were a lot of cool things that he pointed out that I forgot.  You can have it view the stars and it will show you all of the constellations, as well as a number of other stars.  

If you are so inclined, download it and give it a try.  It's a bit difficult trying to find out where to download it, so go to this page, and underneath where it says, "Install and Uninstall Google Earth Pro", it says, "To install or upgrade to the latest version of Google Earth Pro, "download the application".  Click on "download the application" and it takes you to the download site.

adiantum

I use google earth pro when checking out  houses for sale but didnt think to use  all those  features you described.

Thanks Hammer.. this will make house hunting even more detailed.