Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

OneEye

Super Bowl Sunday...

OneEye

My team didn't make it to the Bowl this year...again...but, I'll enjoy the game anyway. Speaking of "enjoying the game"...for the second time I'm back to the store for beer. It seems I just can't have beer sittin' around waiting for another day to drink it. I did, however, manage to stay out of the Baken-Ets. ;)

TX_Clint

I'll not be watching again this year. I gave up all pro sports a few years ago. However, I will enjoy my ration of Chicharrones. :)

OneEye
4 minutes ago, TX_Clint said:

I'll not be watching again this year. I gave up all pro sports a few years ago. However, I will enjoy my ration of Chicharrones. :)

I hear ya'. I don't watch anything else besides football. Used to play varsity linebacker in high school. Gotta love a sport where guys knock the crap outta each other and they haul 'em off on a cart! :)

Hammer
36 minutes ago, OneEye said:

I hear ya'. I don't watch anything else besides football. Used to play varsity linebacker in high school. Gotta love a sport where guys knock the crap outta each other and they haul 'em off on a cart! :)

I recently watched this reaction video of a guy in New Zealand watching NFL football hits.  He did this because, well, as he explains in the video, he wanted to compare rugby hits to NFL hits, since he said that there was always a debate over which hits were rougher.  Watching his reaction pretty much tells you what his conclusion was.☺️

OneEye

"The G forces must be like a car crash!"

Whenever we played Sacred Heart (San Francisco)...we'd lose. Sacred Heart had "heart" and a great football coach. Most who played football there went on to play in college. I remember this one running back who played for Sacred Heart I could never catch. This guy ran like the wind. In one game he took a screen pass, didn't see me and I took him out on a blindside. I hit him so hard it knocked the wind out of both of us. I couldn't believe he held onto the ball.

The game was at Kezar Stadium (where the 49ers played) and after the game we'd all go (both teams) to the Park Bowl, the bowling alley on Haight Street, just east of Golden Gate Park for burgers and Coca~Cola. Sitting there, in a booth, with the cheerleaders draped around me...this guy walks up, asks me my name. I stand up, put out my hand and tell him my name. He says, "That's the hardest I've ever been hit." I smiled, told him, "Maybe you oughta run a little faster next time!" We laughed. Guy ended up as a second-round-pick running back for the 49ers and played pro from 1965 to 1974.

Kit

I never understood the desire to watch sports.  I can understand playing sports, but watching always boggles my mind.  Its so boring.

Fraser

I live across the street from Kezar stadium, now thanks to a quake it is a smaller stadium and track, basically used by schools, trainers and the neighbor hood for health and exercise.  A much better use than violent sports.

Edited by Fraser

buddy7
11 hours ago, Hammer said:

Watching his reaction pretty much tells you what his conclusion was.☺️

I’m all for contact sports, an x- wrestler in my youthful days, watching the video, I’ve never experienced such on-field violence in all my life. In my view, someone can certainly have life-threatening injuries with some of those tackles.

Hammer

Buddy, that video was before they began to institute newer rules that are designed to protect the players more.  Most of those hits you saw in the video, are no longer allowed.  Most of those hard hits were on a player when he caught the football.  Today, you can't do that, or you'll get penalized for hitting a defenseless receiver.  The receiver has to catch the ball, then turn around and make a football move (I.E. start to run), then he can be hit, but you can't hit him with your helmet.  Also, you can't grab the person who has the ball, by his helmet, neck or what's called a "horse collar tackle".  

They also have what's called a "concussion protocol", where a player, if he hits the ground and his head hits the ground, or if he looks groggy after a play, they immediately take him off of the field and he goes into a tent where he's examined to see if he has a concussion.  If they determine that he does have a concussion, he won't be allowed back in the game, and he has to sit out the next, upcoming game.

They are many changes that are now in place, in an attempt to stop all of the injuries that football players suffer.

Hammer
On 2/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, Kit said:

I never understood the desire to watch sports.  I can understand playing sports, but watching always boggles my mind.  Its so boring.

Kit, one of the reasons that a lot of people like to watch sports, is because, they may have played that sport when they were young...maybe in junior high school, high school, or maybe just in the local park with some friends, but they were never good enough to play it professionally, or maybe that wasn't their passion.  Watching it on TV or in person, the person knows what it feels like to play that sport, so they enjoy seeing how pro athletes play the game.

I played football in junior high school, as well as in the local park with friends.  I also played baseball in the park with friends, and the fun we had, transferred into enjoying watching on TV, the pros go at it.  There are so many little things that come into play in those sports, that it's enjoyable to see how well each team does those things.

I can tell from your comments in the past, that you are very good at your job in IT, so I wonder if you'd watch a TV show with someone who was extremely good in that field, showing tips and tricks that could be used in the IT field?  Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't, but watching people doing something that you enjoy or that you've experienced, makes it interesting to you....maybe not to someone else, but to anyone who has experience or interest in that field.☺️

buddy7
6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Buddy, that video was before they began to institute newer rules that are designed to protect the players more.  Most of those hits you saw in the video, are no longer allowed. 

As I said Hammer I loved contact sports, was totally annoyed watching the video, when I saw what seems to me, some gruesome illegal tackling.

Thanks for clearing up some of the rules for me, a pleasure.