Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

alexg

Advice needed on new course of action T2

alexg

Hi I haven't been here in a while but I have been doing good.  My last 2 A1c tests were 7.0 and 6.8.  I still get weird highs at times like few weeks back I over ate something high in carbs and I sky highed to 300 but woke up at mid 120's.  

Currently 

Breakfast & Dinner Novomix 70/30 60 units

Breakfast - Xigdou XR 5/1000mg

But I want to talk to my doctor and change things up....

Drop Novolog Mix 70/30

Drop Xigduo 5/1000mg and go all Insulin

Start Triceba (Long-Acting) once a day

Start Novolog (Fast-Acting Mealtime) 2-3 times a day

This method gives me more freedom to adjust mealtime depending on readings and do corrections.  I want to avoid oral medications as they tend to have more side effects than insulin itself.  Let me know what you think, thanks!

Kit

I don't have personal experience with insulin, but everything I have read from others here who do, using a fast and a slow acting insulin properly is much much better option than the mixed insulins, which don't allow for any flexibility.

alexg

Anyone know if Treciba conversion is 1:1 from Novolog Mix 70/30 making it 42 Units of Long Acting Insulin?

TX_Clint

To my knowledge there is no conversion. Tresiba is a long acting insulin like Lantus and Novolog 70/30 is a mix of intermediate and fast acting insulin. It's apples and oranges.

alexg

Thanks and yes I aware but look at my previous post I want to change to Tresiba Long and Novolog Rapid to have separate doses for better adjustments. 

Trying to figure out what would be my Tresiba starting dose which I calculated as 42 x 2 = 84 to match my current Novolog Mix 70% intermediate dose.  The site also shows my weight 175lbs x 0.04 which is 70u.

Just trying to educate myself before I go to my endocrinologist and get the change.

Edited by alexg

OneEye
1 hour ago, alexg said:

Trying to figure out what would be my Tresiba starting dose which I calculated as 42 x 2 = 84 to match my current Novolog Mix 70% intermediate dose.  The site also shows my weight 175lbs x 0.04 which is 70u.

I'd be careful in my math calculations and the understanding of this changeover. First, the dosage is calculated in kilograms, not pounds. Second, 175lbs x 0.04 isn't 70 units...it's 7. Third, 175lbs converted to kilograms is about 80 kilograms x 0.04 = 3.2 units of Tresiba. The recommended starting dosage for Tresiba is 3 times that at 10 units daily.

For those switching from another insulin they recommend you start at the same unit dose as the total daily long or intermediate-acting insulin unit dose you were using. I'd be careful of that formula. Talk with your doctor first. He might want you to start with less Tresiba and titrate your way up.

FWIW

alexg

Thanks and yeah you are right it would be around 80 kilograms x 0.4 = 32u.

I take a total of 120u of 70/30 mix which equavlates to around 84u of intermediate insulin.  Still figuring out how a starting does of 32u of Tresiba will be near 84u in the 70/30 mix.

Damn I am injecting a hella load of daily insulin 🤔

alexg

So I decide myself to drop taking Xigduo 5/1000mg and get on a more stricter low carb diet and insulin only.. I still take my Novolog 70/30 at breakfast and lunch.  My numbers are  fantastic except 1-2 160+ levels here and there, but rarely.  Haven't been exercising, but planning to go back to the gym.  My last 30 day average of 97 readings is 126.

Two things to keep in mind, I need to correct those random highs and also may need to adjust my insulin dosage before exercising.  I am maxed out on my Novolog Mix @ 60 units per shot, so can't increase that for the highs.  Also it would mess up my current numbers if I reduce the mix just for exercising days.  I don't count carbs right now just watch what I eat more closely.

Still might change to a conventional insulin course with long acting and short acting if I can learn how to keep a good range and not deal with carb counting. etc.  Is this possible or what you think?  Thanks