Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Kit

Breakfast Casserole

Kit

I'm sure this is nothing different than you might normally see all over the place, but I thought I would toss this out anyway.

So, I had a three day weekend last weekend (YAY!) and Saturday I made a large breakfast casserole type thing.  I don't normally do casseroles.  They are a lot of work and a lot of time, but went for it anyway.

I admit, I did not measure diddly, just put in what I thought would be good in the amounts I thought would be good.  Other than the eggs, when I give amounts below, they are guesses.

12 eggs

1 pound breakfast sausage (I bet this would be amazing with chorizo)

1/2 pound chopped bacon

Shredded cheese.  I used a mexican blend I had.  Just about any type of cheese or cheese blend would work well here IMO

Mushrooms (about 4 oz estimate)

Fresh spinach (My bag was 10oz and I used most of it.  Guesstimate of 8oz)

Onion (about 1/3 a large one)

Red bell pepper (a little over half an average size one)

2 jalapenos chopped and seeds removed.

Heavy Whipping Cream (I used somewhere between 2 to 4 Tbsp)

Salt

pepper

smoked paprika

In a large skillet I browned the breakfast sausage and bacon.  Once done, set aside.  Leave fat in skillet.

In same skillet, add veggies and cooked until soft and most of the moisture has been cooked out.  (I despise soggy eggs).  Add salt and pepper to taste while cooking.

In a large bowl, beat 12 eggs with salt, pepper, smoked paprika (I recommend 1-2 tbsp at least), and hwc.

In a glass baking dish I put down the sausage in a layer and topped with some of the cheese.

On top of that, add veggies in their own layer.

Then poor egg mixture on top.  Top with more cheese.  I personally use a light hand here, but you can use as much or little as you like.

Bake in 375 F oven for about 45 minutes until eggs have set and cheese has browned nicely.

I served this with sour cream, sliced avocado, and an everything salad.  Basically little bits of greens and other veggies I had in my fridge that needed using up, which turned out to be one of the best salads I had ever made.

I ended up eating it for lunch and dinner on Saturday, all day Sunday, and even breakfast on Monday.  My BGs seemed to be quite happy with me for the entire thing.

The recipe is extremely forgiving and adaptable.  I absolutely want to try chorizo next time.  Going to drop the bacon as you honestly can't taste it in the final dish.  I consider that a waste of good bacon.  :D

Leave some of the seeds from the jalapeno.  A little more spice would go well with the dish.

Any combination of veggies should work well as long as they have been cooked soft and are not high in moisture.

Edited by Kit

dowling gram

Good if you like spicy food. My stomach would be rebelling all day and probably half the night. I make something similar without the hot spices in my crock pot . However to each his own. I know there are some here who like to light a fire on their palate but not me

Edited by dowling gram

Kit

Odd, I never caught myself over 100 during the weekend.

A couple possible gotchas.

1)  Be careful of serving size.  That recipe is around 8-10 servings

2)  Be careful of the breakfast sausage used.  Many of them contain significant amounts of sugar and carby fillers.

3)  Be careful of the amount and type of veggies used.  Onion especially contains a lot of natural sugars.  That's the reason they become really sweet when cooked.  Ditto with the peppers, though not as extreme as onion.

@dowling gram  the recipe above isn't, though I do comment that I would have liked a little spice in it.  Jalapenos have little to no heat if you remove the seeds as I specified in the recipe, but adds a nice flavor alongside the bell pepper.  Chorizo, at least what I get here, is well seasoned but not spicy at all either.

ran23

By the end of the night, I was down to 101.    Mine was  4 x chicken sausages, bacon, spinach, mushrooms medley(TJs) and eggbeaters.  Nothing was over 4 carbs, but that was the end of the walking day for me.    fun taste.   lunch?   ground chicken, tomatoes, spinach in a low carb wrap.