Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Robin Lea

Need help advice on VERY atypical Diabetes

Robin Lea

My glucose reactions are so odd it makes no sense. My husband talked me into a Continuous monitor good thing he did since am so erratic even on long term insulin.  I had my level of glucose up to 40 at which point I went down to 62 fasting.  I take at night so it is working in the mornings when my numbers are higher than the rest of the day typically.  Mornings when I eat breakfast it skyrockets.  Breakfast 1 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup blueberries and a tblspn of honey; my reaction to this 150+ jump @ an hour @ 2 hours maybe up a little frequently down.  Lunch or Dinner could go up a lot, a little or down including down to below 70 (that what is after 4 ou. and salad.) I have cut most sugar out of my diet (still eat a little bit of chocolate which can at times drop my glucose) don't drink diet sodas and follow a sensible diet.  I have never eaten big meals.  Yesterday lunch apple and 1/2 cup mac and cheese, my glucose went down even after 2 hours.  It makes no sense.  Hoping to find someone with similar reactions.  Prior to being diagnosed as Diabetic I had been Hypoglycemic my entire life (runs in the family 3 generations I am the first Diabetic in this part of the genetic line) and this is a Dr. diagnosis 5 hr. Glucose Test.  I failed and almost passed out. I am 59 female, a little overweight 25 lbs. @ 5'-5" not perfect but not bad.  I have not add exercise yet.  Also I have a history of reacting completely opposite on medical/prescriptions i.e. antiepleptics give me seizures.

Anyone have any advice, ideas?

meyery2k

Robin - Welcome.  I don't use insulin so I would not be able to offer anything.  I am certain that a member that uses insulin will respond when they see your post. ~ Mike

Kit

Hi Robin, welcome to the group.

So, first off, I need to correct some misconceptions.

First, your diet, at least as for as the examples given in your post, is almost entirely sugar or foods which the body turns into sugar.  Our bodies will turn all carbohydrates into sugar.  Even fiber can be iffy with me.  

Fruit is full of sugar.  Why do you think they call it nature's candy.  And our bodies respond to it almost exactly like table sugar.

Same with the oatmeal.  I can't go anywhere near it.  Spikes my numbers like crazy.  And that's the totally unflavored steel cut oats, not the instant stuff which is even worse.

Wheat in your pasta?  Yep, body turns that into sugar.

Honey?  Sugar.

Blueberries, little balls of sugar.  I might be able to get away with eating a very small amount before I start to notice jumps in my numbers.  They're better than most other fruits, but I actually respond better to strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries.

I personally recommend focusing more on non starchy above ground vegetables.  Things like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, spinach, kale, mustard greens, swiss chard, lettuces, cabbages, green beans, wax beans, zucchini, yellow summer squash, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, nuts and seeds (be careful here, some can be more carby then others), and similar.

One guideline many of us here follow is to Eat to your Meter.  What this means is that you test yourself before a meal.  Two hours after your first bite, test yourself again.  This shows how your body is reacting to the foods you eat with your current treatment method.  If you did not get results you like, make an adjustment and test it again.  Eventually you will build up a list of what your reacts well with and what it doesn't.

People who are hypoglycemic in their younger years are much much more likely to become diabetic as they get older.

Hypoglycemia means that your pancreas is producing more insulin than your body needs.  This causes your BG levels to go down lower than they should.  This can also be referred to as hyperinsulinism.  The more circulating insulin in our bodies, the more likely we will build up insulin resistance.  Our bodies start to become numb to its affects and we start building insulin resistance.  Now our pancreas starts pumping out more insulin to counteract this.  And more circulating insulin means our insulin resistance gets worse.  Eventually our insulin resistance gets bad enough that our BG numbers finally start showing an increase.  And, with higher BG levels comes . . . more insulin production and more insulin resistance.

I also recommend that you look up Reactive Hypo.

Insulin resistance can vary over the course of a day.  I am always way more resistant in the mornings than later in the day.  Things I can eat safely for dinner, can drive me higher than I like at breakfast.

Edited by Kit