Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Medicare time (USA)

ran23

I don't have any family elders to ask about this.   I do sometimes make do with Soc Sec right now.   decent health, one BP med,  decent weight.  Looking at how much Medicare can take out each month I accept now.  now is Advantage worth it or not?      thanks

Fraser

I choose Medicare advantage mainly because I was moving to a new state.  And Kaiser Medicare advantage offered an Huge network of doctors to pick from.. So far it has worked, but as far as I know it is managed care, must be in the network. .  But other than T2 I don’t have any issues except getting older. ) I am not interested in micromanaging my healthcare. Cost for me is not a big issue 

Edited by Fraser

TX_Clint

I have Medicare A and B plus plan G and D. It covers things very well and affordable. My Medicare B is $135.50 and the G is $115 plus the D at $25 for a total of $275.50. I only have a $181 annual deductible and a small drug copay. Everything else is covered. Oh, and I can get care anyplace that takes medicare patients even when travelling.

Diana_CT

I have a Medicare Advantage plan and I like it.

I first had an Aetna plan but when they stopped writing the Advantage plan for CT I switched to AARP plan and I like it much better than the Aetna Advantage plan.

Fraser

A note on my Kaiser Medicare advantage plan and coverage while traveling in the US.  First Kaiser has facilities on many cities and others they have ones that partner with them.  The not interested in doing mundane appointments blood work etc out of plan. But for broken bones, emergencies etc.  A true lif threateneing emergency go to any hospital.  You can always call them and get permission.  I have not found it a problem. 

My part B cost like everyone’s varies based on income.  I pay 105 a month to Kaiser.  Usually $30 for a doctor visit.  Oddity is when I broke my wrist as many x rays as they ordered per visit one o pay.   copay per prescription. Includes $350 allowance for glasses each two years.  Useless dentistry, and I have heard hearing aids. 

I live a block from UCSF  hospital. (Major diabetes research center , I checked when I moved here, and they are not interested in caring for me, I am too well controlled.)

The closest  Kaiser major hospital center which has all services is 1,5 miles away. (Walk, bus or Uber)

i do have a line on my Dog tag that i belong to Kaiser. along with my name and my daughters contact info.  and that I am a T2. 

Edited by Fraser

ran23

Thanks all, growing up south of the Bay Area, I miss that.   Seems that Oregon is different than most states where you all are from.   Not sure how many locals here can check in.    

don1942

My United Healthcare Group Medicare Advantage plan has some posative points - test strips are free but on the negative side, my Medtronic sensors are not covered.  My Endocrinologist has a $10 copay; however, my podiatrist has a $25 co pay. 

TX_Clint
19 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Not sure how many locals here can check in. 

What do you mean by check in?

ran23

My main concern now seems to be total cost.    MediGap?    will look into those costs next.    

Hammer

Ran, when you go on Social Security, you will be on SS for two years, then Medicare part A automatically cuts in.  You can go on Medicare before that if you want to, but if you do nothing, it will automatically kick in.  At that time, you have the option of signing up for the other parts of Medicare...Part B....Part C....and Part D.  Part B costs me $134 a month which they take out of my SS check.  I'm not familiar with what Part C covers, and Part D is for prescription drug coverage.  If you don't opt for any other parts of Medicare at that time, and if you should decide to go on one later on, they will penaIize you by charging more for the plan, so I think that it's best to opt for it when you go on Medicare Part A.

I have an Aetna Advantage plan, which covers Parts A, B and D.  While I pay that $134 a month that is deducted from my SS check, apparently, that money goes to Aetna, since they are the providers of the insurance coverage.  When I seek medical help, all I need to bring is my Aetna insurance card....they don't need to see my Medicare card.  The Aetna Advantage plan that I have doesn't require me to pay anything additional for the extra coverage that the Aetna Advantage plan offers me.  Any extra cost for the Aetna Advantage plan is paid for by my employer's retiree medical trust fund.  This is not a bad plan, but the plan I had before this was better.

With my plan, I have a $20 co-pay for doctor office visits....I have vision coverage which covers the entire cost of vision exams, and I can get one pair of glasses per year for $65 (that's for progressive bi-focals).....I have dental coverage with a $1700 a year maximum limit (anything over that $1700, I have to pay).....and I pay $85 for a 90 supply of name brand prescription medications, or $24 for a 90 day supply of generic medications, if the generic medications cost more than $24.  If they cost less than $24, then I pay what they cost, like I just received one that only actually cost $6, so I only paid $6 for it.

ran23

I decided to go with Advantage locally ($115)  and Aetna Part D.  It is $15.40 a month, for a $2.00 current script'     worth it??    I got off my other prescriptions, cause, I wanted to.  Yes, I know, the future is an unknown.  

ran23

Update, I went with C&D Regence for $19.00 a month.   Regence is big here and in 36 states.   Looking at an add-on of Dental, Hearing & Visions for $20.  Guessing when I was younger, Medicare is the last big thing to happen.