Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Manney11

Maybe Gestational Diabetes, Need Advice?

Manney11

Hi, I’m new and 29 weeks pregnant.  I could not complete my 1 hour glucose tolerance test given in pregnancy due to the fact I get severe migraines, and sugar is a big trigger for me.  I tried to take my test but about 45 minutes after drinking the sugary drink I got a terrible migraine and got sick.  Long story short, after 72 hours of a migraine I cannot be given the standard test and my doctor is having my monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day, 1 time fasting and 2 hours after each meal for the next week.  Has anyone been diagonsed or cleared of gestational diabetes this way?   I eat a very healthy low sugar diet to begin with and exercise regularly and have an active job.  I was also a healthy weight pre-pregnancy and have gained about 16lbs so far.  I’m just concerned this isn’t the best diagnostic method for gestational diabetes,  anyone have any experiences similar.  Thanks.  

dowling gram

Hi Manney11. Welcome to the forum

I've never had gestational diabetes but I do have diabetes and both are treated similarly. Perhaps I can give you a little insight into why your DR. suggested you home test.

If you can't take the glucose tolerance test then testing is one way to find out if your blood sugar is going too high. First thing in the morning your blood glucose should be under 100 but don't worry if it's slightly higher. Some people have what they call dawn phenomenon and their liver releases glucose to help them have energy for the day. The 2 hours after meals is to see how soon your blood glucose returns to normal. Your blood glucose rises after you eat a meal and should return to normal after 2 hours. If it stays high then you do have gestational diabetes. If you'd post what readings you have I could probably tell you more

You must understand that blood glucose is not always the same. It rises and lowers during the day with eating and exercise and resting. If you find out that you do have gestational diabetes you should think of cutting down on carbohydrates. Look at the keto diet or come back here if you need more advice. Someone is sure to answer

Edited by dowling gram

meyery2k

@Manney11 - Welcome!  I believe Dowling has given great advice.  If you are comfortable with posting the results, we would be glad to help.  It might also help to note what you ate so we can provide alternatives if there is a problem. ~ Mike

Manney11

Thanks I appreciate the info.  My doctor wants me to monitor my glucose levels for a week or two which I’m all for.  So far my morning fasting levels have been between 88-92.  And two hours after breakfast somewhere between 77-89. I always eat oatmeal with milk, cinnamon and pecans plus 1 cup of coffee with milk and sugar. I typically eat an apple and almond butter for a morning snack. And lunch is variable but yesterday I ate a grilled chicken and veggies with Mexican cheese and salsa in a tortilla. My 2 hr glucose was 103. My other lunch numbers were between  102, 98, and 107.  After lunch I usually eat another snack something like a piece of cheese and some nuts.  Followed by dinner which is also variable but last night I made homemade chicken stir fry and vegetables with jasmine rice. My 2hr glucose was 105.  My other dinner numbers were 88, 97, 107.  I usually walk or run 3-5 miles daily and lift weights 5 times a week. I’d appreciate any help or diet advice. Waiting for the doctors appointment is a little stressful. 

adiantum

Hi Manney, Welcome to the forum.

I had GD many years ago when we didnt have google to help us through it.

I have since been told it gave me a 50% chance of having diabetes later in life as did my genes & culture so I guess I had no hope of escape.

What I regret not being told all those years ago was to reduce my carbohydrate intake.

I loved baking pastries plus ate a lot of bread & fruit.

Perhaps you could prevent D from eventuating by reducing the rice & oatmeal.

Eggs make a good breakfast option, you could try a  spinach omelet .

I dont remember the significance of extra  pounds as we use kilos here,  but did you notice swelling of your feet or ankles with this weight gain?

Enjoy your pregnancy.

~Lee

dowling gram
8 hours ago, Manney11 said:

Thanks I appreciate the info.  My doctor wants me to monitor my glucose levels for a week or two which I’m all for.  So far my morning fasting levels have been between 88-92.  And two hours after breakfast somewhere between 77-89. I always eat oatmeal with milk, cinnamon and pecans plus 1 cup of coffee with milk and sugar. I typically eat an apple and almond butter for a morning snack. And lunch is variable but yesterday I ate a grilled chicken and veggies with Mexican cheese and salsa in a tortilla. My 2 hr glucose was 103. My other lunch numbers were between  102, 98, and 107.  After lunch I usually eat another snack something like a piece of cheese and some nuts.  Followed by dinner which is also variable but last night I made homemade chicken stir fry and vegetables with jasmine rice. My 2hr glucose was 105.  My other dinner numbers were 88, 97, 107.  I usually walk or run 3-5 miles daily and lift weights 5 times a week. I’d appreciate any help or diet advice. Waiting for the doctors appointment is a little stressful. 

I don't think you have anything to worry about at least where Diabetes is concerned. According to the numbers and diet you posted you do not have diabetes --gestational or otherwise. Those numbers are completely normal. Although your diet is good for a non-diabetic most of us with diabetes can't eat Oatmeal, fruit or rice without a big spike in our blood glucose. It seems to me you are leading a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck and have a beautiful baby.

Manney11
15 minutes ago, dowling gram said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about at least where Diabetes is concerned. According to the numbers and diet you posted you do not have diabetes --gestational or otherwise. Those numbers are completely normal. Although your diet is good for a non-diabetic most of us with diabetes can't eat Oatmeal, fruit or rice without a big spike in our blood glucose. It seems to me you are leading a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck and have a beautiful baby.

Thanks so much for the response.  I appreciate you looking at my numbers.  I have never considered diabetes until pregnancy and since I couldn’t take the standard test it freaked me out a bit to not know if everything is ok.  

meyery2k

I wish I had those numbers after eating carbs lol...

For reference, if I eat starch, I will shoot up to 140 or so and stay there for 3 to 4 hours. 

RobertReny

It is not just mother the entire family is at risk if the mother suffers from Gestational diabetes during pregnancy.

About three to 20 percent of pregnant women are affected by Gestational diabetes.

Study says pregnant women who develop gestational diabetes are 7 times as likely to eventually develop type 2 diabetes in the years following pregnancy.

If the mother has suffered from gestational diabetes during the pregnancy, the chances of father affecting by Type 2 diabetes increased by 20 percent.

Read the entire article on - https://www.myhealthyclick.com/diabetes-during-pregnancy-increases-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes-risks-in-family/