Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
bellax3

a1c 8.8 and Pregnant

bellax3

Hello all, im freaking out!

I just found out I'm pregnant and im 14 weeks pregant. 

Last time i checked my A1c is was at 8.8 ... i don't know what to do i know im already to far along to change anything, has anyone experienced this ? 

adiantum

Welcome to the forum bellax3

Please dont panic as stress will increase your blood glucose.

We've had a few new mums here that had high A1c's at the beginning but took their condition seriously & had wonderful healthy babies.

Dont just depend on your insulin as your diet will be also important.

Eat well & keep in touch with your doctor.

meyery2k

@bellax3 - Welcome!  There is likely much you can do to get this under control.  Diet and exercise will help in addition to your insulin. ~ Mike

dowling gram

Hi bellax3-welcome to the forum:

Lee and Mike--she did not say she was on insulin

Don't panic or get upset. Those numbers are not that high that you can't lower them with changes to your diet which will also be good for your baby. You have to begin eating low carb high fat like in the Keto diet. The high fat is good fat like in butter, full fat cream, low carb yogurt, cheese, avocado, nuts and nut butters in moderation, olive oil and coconut oil and the fat in meat and eggs. Don't worry about them making you  fat or causing heart problems. You need that fat for energy to replace the carbs you are giving up. In fact many people lose weight. You will have to start preparing food yourself. Most prepared foods you buy are loaded with carbs. Besides home made food will be better for you and the baby

Every diabetic is different so the amount of carbs you give up or eat depends on what your glucometer says. If you don't have one then get one. Test first thing in the morning. Test before you eat and at 2 hours after eating. At 2 hours your blood glucose should be back close to your before reading. If it's not then go over what you ate that was carby and cut down or eliminate it from your diet. Once you know what foods raise your blood glucose you won't have to test as often.

Be aware that many women who have gestational diabetes often become diabetic later in life. You may be able to stave that off if not forever then for a long time by making diet changes now. If your doctor puts you on any meds. or insulin don't rely on them to do the job. Changing your diet will do more to lower your numbers than any medication

If you need more info or have questions do check back

Edited by dowling gram

dowling gram
55 minutes ago, adiantum said:

@dowling gramI think it'd be very unlikely that a type1 woman  would be without insulin.

Sorry I didn't notice the type 1. I wondered about that when both you and Mike mentioned it. If I had noticed it I would have recommended Dr. Bernstein's book 'The Diabetes Solution"