Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Luposian

Lancing device recommendations

Luposian

We’re using a OneTouch Ultra 2 meter, black OneTouch Ultra testing strips, and a OneTouch UltraSoft lancing pen.

I’m wondering if lances are made for this pen that are finer than 28 gauge.  I like how it works, but since finding out there are 30 and 33 gauge lances for their Delica model, was hoping someone made 30/33 gauge lances for the UltraSoft pen.

Hammer

I have one of those meters and lancing devices, and the best thing that I would suggest is to get another lancing device.  Wal-Mart has their own brand and their own lancets.  Most lancing devices use the same lancets that the Relion brand does, so there would be numerous lancet options with that Relion lancing device.  The Relion brand lancets come in an ultra thin 30 gauge option.

Kit

You don't have to use the lancing device that comes with your meter.  I use Walmart's ReliOn Prime meter and strips but use the One Touch Delica lancing device and lancets.  I really like its small size.  I change the lancets about once a month, so I'm still on the same box of 100 lancets I purchased 5 years ago.  :)

I personally use the 30 gauge.  32 is too fine and I have to set the depth much deeper to get blood out, which means it hurts a lot more.

Luposian
21 minutes ago, Kit said:

You don't have to use the lancing device that comes with your meter.  I use Walmart's ReliOn Prime meter and strips but use the One Touch Delica lancing device and lancets.  I really like its small size.  I change the lancets about once a month, so I'm still on the same box of 100 lancets I purchased 5 years ago.  :)

You use the same lance for an entire MONTH?!?  I use a new one every time, but I figure that’s to keep it sanitary.  Do you at least dip it in rubbing alcohol every time or something? 

Kit

When I was first diagnosed, I was given my meter and showed how to use everything.  I was told then that I could change it every time but it really wasn't necessary.  I was specifically told not to use alcohol as that can dry out an toughen the skin, thus making it harder to get blood.

I wash my hands most of the time before testing, but that's just to remove anything that may be on them that could affect the reading.

So, no, I do not wash, use alcohol on, sterilize, or similar with my lancing device or lancets.  If, for some reason, I would want to test another person, they would get an entirely fresh lancet, and then another fresh put in its place after they were done.  but that's the only time.  Trust me, I have a higher chance of developing an infection pulling weeds in my yard (thorns, dirt, mud, etc) than I do from my lancing device.  Many, if not most, of us here do pretty much the same thing.  Some go a lot longer than I do before changing their lancets.

meyery2k

I change my lancet when it wears out.  It will start to hook into the skin.  I used to diligently change them daily but just stopped.  I once had a big graft done on my face and the doctor explained that I could change my dressings and manage without gloves but he could not.  This is because I was used to the microorganisms on my skin.  He could potentially introduce something disruptive.  I always found that fact interesting.

I use the 33ga. lancets for the One Touch delica.  Everything else seems to just punch into my fingers and hurt too much.  I wash my hands with soap and warm water before testing.  Primarily to make sure there is no residue that would affect the testing.  I once tested after handling fruit and it was 150+ which I knew wasn't right.  Washed hands and got a 90 something.  The warm water gets the blood flowing smoothly so I can get a sample easily.

TX_Clint

I wash my hands before testing to prevent false readings. I change my lancet every new year and in over 20 years have had no issues. I have also gone months without a lancing device. Just used a bare lancet to poke my finger to test. No issue with that either.

adiantum

Clint and I are true party animals.... we both celebrate New Years Day by changing our lancet.

Its never caused a problem for me.

Hammer

I also use the same lancet over and over until I think that it's getting dull, however, my method is a bit different than some of the others here.  I wash my hands, then thoroughly dry them off.  I have a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol on my dining room table where I do my testing.  I place a cotton ball on top of the bottle of alcohol, turn over the bottle to wet the cotton ball, then I rub the cotton ball on the finger that I'm going to lance.  I then grab a clean facial tissue to wipe off the finger, then fold the facial tissue in half longways, then fold it longways a second time, creating a long thin tissue.  I then lance my finger, grab the cotton ball that I placed back on top of the alcohol bottle, and wipe off the top of the lancing device with the cotton ball to remove any blood droplets that might have gotten there when I lanced my finger.  I then place the cotton ball back on top of the alcohol bottle, squeeze my finger to draw out some blood, and place the blood on the test strip.  Once I've done that, I take the folded up facial tissue and wrap it around my lanced finger to soak up any blood that might still be there.  I then remove the top of the lancing device, and stick the lancet into the alcohol filled cotton ball several times to clean off any blood that might be on the lancet's tip.  I then place the top back on the lancing device, I place the cotton ball on my lanced finger, and put the cap back on the alcohol bottle.  I do it this way so that I have the least possible chance of infecting myself.

OneEye

Big fan of 91% Isopropyl alcohol myself. I mean, every time I turn around I'm finding a new use for it. Used to buy it at the supermarket for $2.75 a pint. Then it was hard to get. Dunno if they had a stocking problem or someone kept buying them out before I got there. Bought some 70%...not quite the same thing.

Decided to shop eBay and see if they sold it. They do...and the price really surprised me. $5.82 for a 2 pack of 32 ounces. That's like 50% off, no tax, free shipping...and if you need to...you can make your own 70% mixture.

Searched YouTube to see if you could distill this into ethyl alcohol. They say you can, but c'mon...it's YouTube! :blink:

Kit

I have been known in a pinch to stick my finger in my mouth to "wash it" and then dry it off on my shirt.  After testing I usually stick my finger back in my mouth to rinse off what little blood residue there might be.  :D

OneEye
2 minutes ago, Kit said:

I have been known in a pinch to stick my finger in my mouth to "wash it" and then dry it off on my shirt.  After testing I usually stick my finger back in my mouth to rinse off what little blood residue there might be.  :D

I think the manual describes that as a "field test"! :)

Luposian
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

I also use the same lancet over and over until I think that it's getting dull, however, my method is a bit different than some of the others here.  I wash my hands, then thoroughly dry them off.  I have a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol on my dining room table where I do my testing.  I place a cotton ball on top of the bottle of alcohol, turn over the bottle to wet the cotton ball, then I rub the cotton ball on the finger that I'm going to lance.  I then grab a clean facial tissue to wipe off the finger, then fold the facial tissue in half longways, then fold it longways a second time, creating a long thin tissue.  I then lance my finger, grab the cotton ball that I placed back on top of the alcohol bottle, and wipe off the top of the lancing device with the cotton ball to remove any blood droplets that might have gotten there when I lanced my finger.  I then place the cotton ball back on top of the alcohol bottle, squeeze my finger to draw out some blood, and place the blood on the test strip.  Once I've done that, I take the folded up facial tissue and wrap it around my lanced finger to soak up any blood that might still be there.  I then remove the top of the lancing device, and stick the lancet into the alcohol filled cotton ball several times to clean off any blood that might be on the lancet's tip.  I then place the top back on the lancing device, I place the cotton ball on my lanced finger, and put the cap back on the alcohol bottle.  I do it this way so that I have the least possible chance of infecting myself.

I’m not that OCD.  I just use a new lance every time. It’s a lot simpler! 😁

OneEye
5 minutes ago, Luposian said:

I’m not that OCD.  I just use a new lance every time. It’s a lot simpler! 😁

I hear ya'! What are lancets...about 90¢ for 1,000? :)

Luposian
3 hours ago, OneEye said:

I hear ya'! What are lancets...about 90¢ for 1,000? :)

Anyone who can’t afford a box or two of 100 lancets every couple months and has to reuse a single one 60+ (Twice or more times a day) times a month... that’s BROKE!!!  Testing strips are more expensive (proprietary), so I can  understand.  But lancets are something that poke a hole in your protective layers of this earth suit called a body.  No sense risking getting an infection, even if the chance is microscopic.  I suffered an serious infection in my thumb in December, which is what lead to the doctor diagnosing me as diabetic.  Never had something like that happen ever before... even when I accidentally put my hand too far into a chipper/shredder!

adiantum

Cost has nothing to do with it.  The meter company provide me  with free lancets which I'll never use at my pace.

I only pay 60c for 50 test strips but that doesnt encourage me to test more often.

I just see no need to take on an unnecessary  task. 

It will come down to ' your mileage may vary' , so if it works for you to change often,  thats fine.

In the mornings, I cant do anything with dexterity  until after Ive had coffee.

I think I'm good to be able to get  the lancet to my finger.

dowling gram
8 hours ago, Luposian said:

Anyone who can’t afford a box or two of 100 lancets every couple months and has to reuse a single one 60+ (Twice or more times a day) times a month... that’s BROKE!!!  Testing strips are more expensive (proprietary), so I can  understand.  But lancets are something that poke a hole in your protective layers of this earth suit called a body.  No sense risking getting an infection, even if the chance is microscopic.  I suffered an serious infection in my thumb in December, which is what lead to the doctor diagnosing me as diabetic.  Never had something like that happen ever before... even when I accidentally put my hand too far into a chipper/shredder!

High blood glucose unleashes a destructive  molecule that compromises the immune system. You had high blood glucose and that's why you got an infection because your body couldn't fight off that destructive molecule. Most of us that reuse lancets have our blood glucose under control and that's why we can reuse lancets without a risk of infection. Infection is why out of control diabetics lose limbs or feet and hands. The infection turns to gangrene

Kit

To add on to what dowling gram said, bacteria lives off sugar.  When our BG levels run high, bacteria basically have an all you can eat high energy buffet and the population of bacteria will explode.

The best defense a diabetic has against serious infections is to keep your BG levels at normal non diabetic levels or at least very close to it.

meyery2k

My own experience is that my general health has become much better once I learned I had diabetes and got it under control.  I was getting these black patches under my arms that looked like dirt but wouldn't wash off.  Long gone now.  I learned it was a type of fungal infection.

adiantum

That's Acanthosis nigricans...

5 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I was getting these black patches under my arms that looked like dirt but wouldn't wash off.

Hammer

I agree that lancets are inexpensive, but to me, I can't see throwing away a lancet just because I used it once.  My lancets and test strips are paid for by my insurance, but getting 3 boxes of lancets (300 lancets) every three months with my test strips just seemed like a waste.  I had so many boxes of lancets that I told the mail order pharmacy to stop sending them to me when they sent me the test strips.  I still have enough lancets to last me three lifetimes, and that's after I gave away 10 boxes of them, and threw away all of the boxes of generic lancets that didn't fit my lancing device properly. (the mail order pharmacy that sends me the lancets, charges the insurance company the same price for all of their lancets....the name brand and the generic brand, so they would send me the generic brand all of the time, and I would make them send me the name brand.)

I had the same issue with the mail order pharmacy that sent me my CPAP machine supplies.  Every three months they would send me several CPAP masks for my machine, even though I didn't need them.  They said that I needed to replace the mask once a month.  I told them that I only replace the mask when it breaks, and that all you need to do is to wipe down the mask with alcohol every so often to keep bacteria from building up.  To have me throw away a mask just because it's a month old, then have them send me more masks (at $119 per mask), is ridiculous.  I have so many unopened boxes of masks that I doubt that I'll ever need to order any more of them.  The mask I'm using now is almost 2 years old and it's working just fine.☺️

Kit

Replace cpap mask every three months? That's fraud even if your insurance company is willing to pay for it. 

Mr Fuzxy's insurance company will only replace it once a year max and he doesn't even do it that often. The gear gets a cleaning once a week and it lasts for a significant amount of time. 

He's never had any problems except for one mask model that just did not work for him well. 

Hammer
3 hours ago, Kit said:

Replace cpap mask every three months? That's fraud even if your insurance company is willing to pay for it. 

Mr Fuzxy's insurance company will only replace it once a year max and he doesn't even do it that often. The gear gets a cleaning once a week and it lasts for a significant amount of time. 

He's never had any problems except for one mask model that just did not work for him well. 

They actually wanted me to replace the mask every month.  They do make a device to clean the CPAP machine, but it's not cheap.  It's called a SOClean, and it cleans the mask, hose and machine.