Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Suzamom

Is pancreatitis a possibility?

Suzamom

Hello!  My 18 yr old son (DXed at 9, pumping since 15) thought to have stomach virus about a week ago.  Vomiting and diarrhea, bloating, gas and burping.  Classic......but, he feels unwell for 8 hrs and then better.  Roller coaster has been unlike typical bug.  He felt so bloated he suggested constipation.  He took fiber supplement last evening.  Awoke this am and vomited 17 hr old stomach contents and then followed with diarrhea that has continued on and off.

Could this be panceatitis?  He has had 2 lows in the past 24 hrs.  I don't monitor his pump so it could be too much IOB, but I was wondering if pancreatitis could cause these unexplained lows in an insulin dependent person.

Likely, a weird stomach bug but I can also say this has happened a couple times the last 6 months. Btw, we have investigated gastroparesis and this is not that.  

Thanks for any input!!

Side note:  His diet is disastrous of his own choosing.  He knows better.  I am livid about it, but that's another story.

adiantum

This sounds too serious for me to make guesses as a layperson.

I hope he gets answers & relief soon.

dowling gram

Yes those could be the signs of pancreatitis but you'd have to have him checked to know for sure..

As for his diet and not using his pump properly perhaps you could find an endocrinologist to have a talk with him. It's a shame that youth thinks they are going to live forever and they don't have to pay attention to rules. I'm afraid he's setting himself up for a miserable life unless he takes things in hand. If you can get him to read it Dr. Bernstein's book "The diabetes solution" is a great one for type 1 diabetics to read. Dr' Bernstein was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in childhood and he lived well past 80 with no diabetic complications.

Good luck and I hope your son gets the help he needs

Edited by dowling gram

don1942

Be aware that vomiting and diarrhea can also  result in severe dehydration which can bring on severe hyperglycemia.

OneEye

I've had pancreatitis and it came with a lot of pain. Enough to double me up into a fetal position for hours. Tests at the hospital will confirm if it really is pancreatitis.

Kit

I had pancreatitis and it did indeed come with an amazingly extreme amount of pain.  I have had a kidney stone. Pancreatitis wax worse by a long shot.  I never experianced bloating, burping, or gas. The vomiting would start after the pain started and would not stop until the pain stopped. I got really used to dry heaves. 

I can't say what it might do to BG levels as I was not diabetic at the time.  But it is very true that dehydration can cause numbers to go higher than usual as glucose in the blood is more concentrated, as is everything else. 

The only way to know for sure is to have a doctor test him for the relative enzymes. 

adiantum

@Suzamom I cant get your son off my mind & hope he has a correct diagnosis & treatment by now.

When I suggested it could be serious , I was thinking possible bowel blockage  & yes diarrhea can be an issue along with gas,bloating, constipation & vomiting.

This is why I feel he needs medical attention.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bowel+blockage+with+diarrhea&rlz=1C1GGGE_enAU442&oq=blocked+bowel+with+dia&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.16100j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Suzamom

Thank you all!!!  I believe it is EPI.  We have digestive enzymes in the house and at the Endo's direction, I gave them to him.  He is returning to his usual self.  I really appreciate your feedback.  We have an appointment in 2 wks, but the working theory is that the enzyme deficiency is resulting in poor digestion,  That leads to a low after he boluses for a meal and then digestion is impaired.  Amylase is the enzyme that aids in carb digestion.

Thankfully, he didn't show any ketones or signs of DKA.  We checked vigilantly.

I truly wish he was less impulsive and more responsible with his T1.  We had great control pre-pump.

(Aic of 7)  The Endo and med device rep oversold him the idea that he could skip a meal without equally emphasizing the need to test and correct when you skip.  Also, the constant barrage of "you can eat what you want" was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  No one had ever told him that before....especially me.  He glommed on to all the benefits and few of the responsibilities.  It is his fault but I don't think others involved did him any favors over hyping an impressionable teen.  I tried to counteract the hype, but I'm just a mom not the doctor.  Sigh.  

I have read Dr. Bernstein's book.  He has not,  His paternal grandmother, whom he never met, died at 47.  Finally diagnosed as a diabetic in her early 20s after going into a DKA coma.  Regular dialysis while waiting a kidney transplant at 41.  Massive coronary at 47.  Family in retrospect observed signs of diabetes in her from the age of 5.  I remain hopeful and remind him often that the damage isn't visually apparent but it is happening and eventually will hurt.

I pray his foolishness is temporary.  This EPI scare has straightened him up.  BS roaming between 130 and 170....and he's eating fruit again.

I'll call that a win of sorts!!!

Thanks again.