Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Hammer

Anyone else using a TENS unit?

Hammer

I just got a TENS unit, and was wondering if anyone else was using one, and if so, how well it was working for them?  Mine seems to work, but I wondered why they say not use it for more that 3 times a day (30 minutes each time)?  I have mine set low to a 2 (this unit has 15 settings), and that seems to do okay, but why can't you use it all day long?  Can it cause nerve damage, or some other type of damage?  Mine is factory set to 15 minutes, so I leave it there instead of changing it to 30 minutes, but I want to use it more than what the manual says is the maximum limit per day.  Is it safe to use it more than what the manual says? 

MalteseMom

I have one. Don’t use often, but it does work. Why limited use? Because like anything else used often, you will get used to it & keep jacking up the power to get the same result. Sort of like drugs. Dr will keep changing patient meds until completely hooked on narcotics. 

People are not known for moderation...LOL

Hammer

I've been using mine for two days now, and I have the intensity set to 2.  Just for the heck of it, I tried to set it higher than that.  I increased it to 8, and I immediately had to drop it back to 2.  A setting of 8 felt like I was being kicked by a horse.  I got this unit because I have constant neck pain, and I thought that this unit would help with that, which it does, but as soon as I stop using it, the neck pain returns, which is why I wondered if using it a lot more than what the manual recommends, would harm me, but so far, so good.  The unit I have is this one.

MalteseMom

Hammer, I see in your attached profile that you take Losartan...that was recalled..I hope your pharmacist alerted you.  sorry about hijacking your thread.

Hammer
9 hours ago, MalteseMom said:

Hammer, I see in your attached profile that you take Losartan...that was recalled..I hope your pharmacist alerted you.  sorry about hijacking your thread.

Hi MalteseMom!

The losartan that was recalled was manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited.  The ones that I take are manufactured by Aurobindo....not to mention that the nationwide mail order pharmacy that I am required to use by my insurance is Express Scripts, and I'm sure that they are well aware of the recall, but thanks for the heads up anyway!☺️

pattycolombia

I do have a small one but do not use it very often.  Preset to 15 minutes by I use it only in lapses of 5 for several musculoskeletal disorders.

pasiva.JPG

dowling gram

Hammer have you ever seen a chiropractor for your neck pain? I have a crushed disc in my neck that causes pain when it slips sideways and presses on the nerve. I saw a chiropractor and he aligned my vertebrae and gave me exercises to strengthen the muscles of my neck. I must admit that he is one of the good ones. There are others that are not so good. The first one I saw wrenched on my neck and that was it. I didn't think that was good because that can rupture the artery. This one used gentle pressure to put everything in place. I found the good one by asking people who they saw and were they any good. I seldom have neck pain any more and if I do I bend my head to one side and apply heat to that place--something else he taught me

Edited by dowling gram

Hammer

Dowling, yes, I see a chiropractor every three weeks for my lower back, and I told him about my neck pain and he twisted my neck a certain way, and I heard the crack, but my neck felt better, but not perfect.  He's done that twice now, and I've found that, as long as I don't sleep on my left side, there is very little pain.  I've also noticed that if I do something that requires me to turn my head a lot, like when I had to remove the snowblower attachment from my tractor, and install the mowing deck, when I was finished doing that, my neck didn't hurt at all.  The only thing that bothers me now, is that, when I turn my head from side to side, I hear a clicking sound...as if two bones are hitting each other.  The chiropractor said that that should eventually go away, but it's been 6 weeks and it's still there.  It doesn't hurt when I hear the clicking sound, it's just annoying.

dowling gram

Hammer your pain is much like mine was but maybe from a different cause. That quick twisting is what I didn't like. Did it help.  Yes but it could also hurt the main artery in your neck and that was what I was worried about. I read about a woman who died from that procedure. That clicking probably is 2 bones rubbing together. You might have arthritis in your spine that might be helped by taking Glucosamine. I'm no doctor but I swear by Glucosamine. At my age I should have arthritis but I don't. I started taking it years ago when I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee. Within 6 months the pain went away completely and has never come back and no other joint has been inflicted with it.

Hammer

My previous doctor also said that Glucosamine was good for joint pain, but I have never used it, since I don't have joint pain. ( a friend of mine was taking glucosamine and chondroitin, so I asked my doctor if they were any good.....the glucosamine, yes, the chondroitin, not so much.)  The arthritis that I have in my shoulders, elbows and feet, don't give me pain, they just restrict my movement to a degree.   My present doctor said that my neck problem might be due to arthritis, but I didn't go into it more with her at my last office visit....maybe at the next office visit in July.

I think that the reason that I have arthritis is because of two things....the first being, the type of work I did....physical, blue collar work.  Second, from pumping iron.  I know that pumping iron is why I have a bad back, and also why my knees are worn out, since doing dead lifts and squats are hard on your knees and back.  Oh, and just to add another reason why I have a bad back, is because I'm tall....6'2".  When you're a tall person, you find out that the world is made for short, right handed people (I'm a tall lefty.)  Brooms are too short, so I have to lean down when I use a broom....or a shovel...or to get a drink from a water fountain....or to use those self checkout machines at the food store (those things kill my back).  I am constantly having to lean over, or bend down to get something, and over many years, that hurts your back and knees.

dowling gram

Hammer you could find out if your neck pain is due to arthritis by asking the chiropractor to see your x-rays. I assume he had some taken before he treated you. No Chiropractor in Canada will treat you without them and it must be the same in the USA.

Chondroitin builds new cartilage between the bones and glucosamine plumps up what cartilage is there to cushion the bones. You don't often see the results of the Chondroitin like you do with Glucosamine. I told you about my knee. Well last month it started to be a little sore. I started taking 2 of the mixed pill of chondroitin and glucosamine and 1 glucosamine daily. In a couple of weeks the pain went away. I finished the bottle of mixed pills and then went back to 3 glucosamine daily. Both are well worth the cost and both work--at least they do for me. Some people don't think they work but I wonder if they are taking the full dose or if they didn't take them long enough. You don't get results overnight. It does take time. If you ever start on either one give it 6 months time to get results

Hammer

Dowling, no, Chiropractors here are not required to take x-rays, and my Chiropractor didn't.  Many years ago when I was in my 20's and working in construction, I hurt my back, and a friend recommended a Chiropractor that he had used, so I went to see him.  That Chiropractor just had me fill out a card, then he did the pulling and twisting and all of the other things that he felt was necessary to straighten my back out.  When I left his office, my back was feeling normal again.  The office visit fee back then was $15.  A few years later, there was a chain of Chiropractic clinics that opened up in that state, and a co-worker of mine went to one of them.  He told me that they took a bunch of x-rays and ran a bunch of tests, then they worked on him with these little hammers that gently tapped the mis-aligned bones back into place.  He said that the cost for that visit was $300.  I thought that was a ripoff since my Chiropractor fixed my back for just $15.  It seemed to me that that chain of clinics performed a lot of unnecessary tests, just to make more money.

I do think that maybe the reason that my Chiropractor wasn't concerned about x-rays, was because when I first saw him, I filled out a questionnaire asking me all sorts of health questions, then, when I went into his office, I told him the history of my back and why it was bothering me.  He had me lay on his table face down, and he began to feel the bones in my back from my neck to my lower back.  He told me what he felt was out of place, and that's what he began working on.  When he aligned my neck, he did the same thing...feeling the bones in my neck, and finding which one(s) needed to be aligned.

I have to say that I am happy with him, and I'll be glad to see him this Wednesday (May 1st) for my three week appointment.  Since selling tickets at my radio club's yearly hamfest this past Saturday, my back is killing me, and I know that he'll be able to correct that for me.☺️

dowling gram

My chiropractor felt up and down my spine too and my pelvis but he also asked for x-rays. I'm sure he could have worked without them but it was an extra tool he could use because it does tell him if you have arthritis in your spine. That's something that he couldn't find out without them. Maybe The reason they ask for them in Canada is because they are covered under OHIP--our government health care plan. I paid $50 for the first visit and $34 for every visit after that and yes I felt better after each visit. My pelvis was out of alignment and that was part of the problem but no x-rays were taken of that area

Edited by dowling gram

Hammer

I can see where x-rays can help the chiropractor, since they would give him/her a better view of what's actually happening with your bones.

I just came back from my visit to my Chiropractor, and my back is much better.  Sunday, I met a friend for lunch, then when we left, she walked to her car and I walked to mine, then I realized that I had a package that I needed to give to her, so I turned around and walked as fast as I could to get to within shouting distance of her before she pulled out of the parking lot.  I called to her and mentioned the package, so she said that she would drive next to my car to get it.  I turned back toward my car and tried to walk back to it, but my back hurt so bad that I had to walk as slowly as I could, otherwise I would never have made it to my car.  Now, after seeing my Chiropractor, I left his office and stopped off at several food stores to get what I needed, and my back didn't bother me a bit.  I am happy that I found him, and I see him every three weeks, which is about as long a period as I can go before my back starts bothering me again.

Something that I have noticed....if you are a tall person, you will eventually have back problems.  That's not to say that shorter people won't have back problems too, but it seems to me that all tall people will eventually have back problems.  I think this because nothing is made for tall people....brooms are too short, water fountains are too low....sinks are too low....even those self checkout counters at the food stores are too low.  Because things are too low or too short, tall people have to constantly bend down to use them.  That constant bending eventually wears your back out.