Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Averaoxi

how accurately can a c-peptide test determine your type of diabetes?

Averaoxi

So as part of concerns I've had for some time now with my condition, and my endocrinologist. About a year ago I had attempted to apply for an insulin pump, but they denied me, partially because my c-peptide levels were 1.0 nanograms.

From what I've researched, that level of c-peptides is somewhere average in between the amount of c-peptides that's produced by the pancreas normally.

I'm also concerned by the fact that my previous endocrinologist stated that I was Type-2 because my c-peptide levels were higher than they should have been for someone with Type 1.

(btw I'm gonna have an in-home nurse visit, as part of some opportunity my health insurance is giving me to address any concerns that I have for my health, so fingers crossed that I have a blood test and they determine I have Type-2, because the drug metformin had actually helped me way more than insulin injections had.)

Kit

All a c-peptide test can tell you is how much insulin your body has produced near the time of the test. There can be a few reasons I know of for the number to be low.  Someone could be T1, or a T2 who had run high for so long that his body can't produce even average amounts of insulin anymore. Or it could be some physical damage to the pancreas. 

Positive anti body tests are required for a T1 diagnosis I believe. 

Averaoxi

Personally I've had it all over the place for me. I could have some days where it doesn't even raise after a meal (and can outright drop pretty fast), and some where it raises up like 100 points more than what it normally would be.

It always seems to be more sensitive to insulin when ever I try doing certain exercises more frequently. Not even longer than the time I'm recommended to exercise, it just sorta has this major effect on me for some reason.