Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
xMenace

Started on the FreeStyle Libre

xMenace

And a big hello to everyone. I'm still alive and kicking.

I'm finding it reads lower than my meter, but from what I've read, sensors do vary. Make adjustments mentally, they say. Seems common, they say. Looks like I will have to do a mental calibration for each new sensor. I wanted on the Dexcom, but my insurance won't cover it. Cheap buggers. 

dowling gram

As long as it stays at the same lower reading it shouldn't be hard to do the adjustments. Meters vary too. Are you sure yours was accurate. Did you ever test it and compare it to a lab reading? How do you know the Dexcom would be any better?

Diabetes devises are really in their infancy as compared to other medical things. My father in law had diabetes in the 1960's and there were no meters then or any other medical devices for diabetes. He had to test his urine and compare it to a color coded stick. Talk about inaccurate!

LCD
20 hours ago, xMenace said:

And a big hello to everyone. I'm still alive and kicking

A special hello back to one.  I am one of the group when you were active and I always appreciated your knowledge and input.  Hopefully, they too, will be able to learn from your knowlege. Libby

Edited by LCD

Tanikit

I am due at a training session for the Libre this Thursday, but I started a CGM on loan on Friday so I probably shouldn't get both, except that the chance of getting subsidised for the CGM going forward is very unlikely in which case I'll need to know how to use the Libre so I think I will go. If I am wearing both at once then it would be interesting to see how they differ. My CGM read initially much too low (3mmol/ 54mg lower than my blood glucose machine) then this morning it was reading about 40mg (just over 2mmol) higher than my blood glucose machine. After a bit of waiting it out it seemed to settle down and now reads very accurately unless my blood sugar levels are changing rapidly. 

When treating a low and using both the blood glucose machine and the CGM it is easy to see that the CGM is about 15 minutes behind my blood glucose levels now that it is more accurate. Let us know how yours goes.

Gladtobehere

I have used Libre for about 18 months.

In my experience the Libre seems to show a higher bg number than other bg meters.   BUT  It seems to be very consistant.

I used to apply a correction factor to the readings but I found it more productive to alter my general fudge factors.  (I don't know how to explain that phrase but I am guessing that many will understand. Things like.....too low to administer insulin.   Or too close to bed time , etc, etc.)

The trend data is VERY useful. Particularly as it tends to modify those fudge factors I was just mentioning.  It is good to know if your bg level is stable or changing quickly.      PARTICULARLY in the middle of the night.

Convienience is also improved for night time use.  Seconds rather than minutes.

Libre is not perfect but i use and like it a lot!  !  !

I should mention that after  8 months of use I seem to have developed a reaction to the adhesive.   It seems to burn my skin and leaves an angry red patch when removed.

Also The sensors come off easy in the hot muggy weather.   I use Opsite Flexifix for addition staying power.

IMHO.   People should at least try Libre for a few weeks.

Tanikit

I started on the Libre today and am now using but the Medtronic Enlite and the Libre simultaneously. The Libre is reading lower than my blood glucose machine - will it remain consistently low or change as time goes by? At the moment the Enlite is probably a better option for me because of the amount of hypoglycaemia I am experiencing and its ability to warn me of it before it happens - especially at work this is useful. But the Libre is very easy to use and the sensors last a lot longer. The trends are definitely what I need to adjust my basal rates so either would work for that. As for comfort I have not had an issue with either so far.

Tanikit

The Libre has remained consistently lower than my blood glucose level by about 1.5-2mmol, (28-37mg) so I just dropped the target range to accomodate that.  I have extended the life of the Enlite sensor and it seems to be coping for now though its only been a couple of days extra so far. I am beginning to rely on the technology and will have to make a plan somehow to afford one or other option.