Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Mamarc

I’m back, head hanging in shame.

Mamarc

Hello all!  I was here for awhile 8 years ago, and you all saved my life with low carb advice before keto was the new buzzword.  Thank you!  

Long story short:  lots of crappy life happened, including a nasty bout of diverticulitis culminating in bowel surgery, menopause, chronic illness in my daughter, and scary tests and possible brain tumor, and my husband had cancer.  We are all fine now!  

Well, I’m not fine because the messed up diverticulitis diet sent me on a trajectory of carb eating, and the stress had me into the wine more than is healthy or recommended.  My last A1c, in December, amazingly, was 5.4.  I’ve not been monitoring my bg, but have felt like things were off, mainly, a slight shift in my vision.  So, I dusted off my monitor, and checked my bg yesterday.  I had only very expired strips, so also got a new CVS monitor, and still getting numbers in the 160 range, fasting and two hours pp.  😢

So, I’m back.  I need to get serious about my weight loss.  I’ve gained back so much of weight  I’d lost back then.  I need to exercise , but, having issues with inflammation in my Achilles’ tendons.  I don’t even want to know my blood pressure, which was nudging high, last time I was this heavy and unhealthy. I’m sure my liver is a mess as is my cholesterol and triglycerides, because that was my situation 8 years ago.  I’m that much older now, and weight loss seems so much harder!

How quick do you think I can control this?  I’ve never needed meds, and don’t want to start.  I’ve cut most grains, but keep having little cheats.  First order is no cheating, and cutting carbs to under 50/day(90 worked 8 years ago), no grains, sugar, or potatoes, and getting in time on my elliptical and walking.  I’d like to get this in order by July.  I’ve got a physical then.  

Any new advice?  Any wisdom to share that might be current management?  How quick do you think I get get my bg down, if I get back to my low carb life with a bit of regular, daily exercise?  This shift higher seems only in the past few months.

Edited by Mamarc

Kit

Hi Mamarc, welcome back to the group.

It is difficult to say how long things will take.  This can vary a lot since we are all different in different states.  It took me 6 months to get my A1C down from 10.4 to 5.2 after I was diagnosed, but that was me.

It sounds like you've been through a lot.  Don't beat yourself up on it though.  That is the past and there is nothing you can do now to change it.  Instead focus, as it looks like you are doing, on what you can do now and the future.

One thing I can promise is that cleaning up your diet alone can cause major improvements, and that is where I would start.  The exercise is great as well, and I highly encourage it, but just getting the diet in check is a great first step.

Note:  The following is my personal opinion.

Stop having cheats and get strict on yourself.  I have found that those little and minor cheats can cause cravings which in turn make things harder to stick to the low carb way of eating.  They also tend to get more frequent as well.  For example, a once a year splurge at Christmas turns into a twice a year splurge adding in your birthday.  But then there's your anniversary, so now its three times a year.  Then its the family get together where Aunt Betty brings your favorite carby dish and you love it so much and you can't insult her by refusing.  Eventually its once a month.  And then twice a month.  And then weekly.  You see how it can go.

I actually don't recommend being too strict on calories right at the first.  Focus on minimizing carbs first.  Once that gets easier, then start focusing on the other macro nutrients and counting calories.

I highly recommend starting or increasing exercise.  But I don't recommend pushing yourself too hard in this area early on while you are also adjusting to dietary changes.  If you are just making yourself and you are doing something you don't enjoy, you will be less likely to stick with it.  Find something that you do enjoy and stick with it.  After a while it becomes a habit.  Eventually it becomes a compulsion.  I go nuts if I can't go for my evening walk.  Drives me crazy and I can't relax.

Check out the recipe subsection.  A lot of pretty amazing stuff has been posted just over the 5 years I've been here.  Lots of great ideas both simple and complex.  With the popularity of the keto and similar diets, there are a ton of low carb and keto recipe sites out there.  There are also a growing number of products coming out which are low carb or keto targeted.  Some aren't worth the money or basically lie on their labels.  But many of them are true and can be helpful at times.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you stick around.  Having that emotional and social support can help so much in keeping us on track.

meyery2k

@Mamarc - Hello.  I would resoundingly echo everything @Kit has posted.  Especially the part about not being hard on yourself.  Yesterday is done, learn from it for today, and improve for tomorrow.

I agree about the cheats.  Especially when you are establishing new patterns.  Set goals you can reach and then, re-assess when you reach them.

When I first came here, I weighed 313 pounds and found out I had T2.  The doctor encouraged me to lose 15 pounds.  I did and, with the low carb high fat diet, found it was not too difficult.  Within 6 months my A1c was in the low 5's.  My vision and other parts of me were much improved.  I had more energy to do things.  As far as exercise, all I could do was walk.  I was huffing and puffing just walking around.  I started with a 10,000 step a day goal and used my phone to count steps.  

I had a lot of trouble with heel spurs because of my weight.  All gone now.

When I lost the 15 pounds and discovered it was not the difficult, I decided to see how much I could lose.  It took a year but that 15 became 30, then 50, then 75, then 90, and then 100 pounds.  I can now maintain my weight at 210-215.  My walking became runnning, swimming, and then, my rediscovered passion of cycling.

The 3 year ago me would have scoffed at the idea of the things I do now.

You can do it too.  We are here to encourage you.  My encouragement comes from this group and my family.  

I was intrigued to learn that the idea of a low carb diet for diabetes is not a new idea at all.  I came across a .PDF of a recipe book for diabetics from 1916 that promoted low carb and high fat.  Apparently, before the discovery of insulin, this was considered one of the stronger measures once could use. ~ Mike

Mamarc

Thanks for the encouragement!  I used to be mjrc64, when I was here years ago, but couldn’t remember my password, lol.  I did great then, just eating to my meter, as a newly diagnosed diabetic, and added walking/elliptical as I tolerated, gradually increasing.  In hindsight, it just seemed much easier then.  I lost 55ish pounds back then.  

Im glad I came here today.  I was trying keto groups, but, not everyone gets the diabetes part, and they seem overboard on fat and high calorie eating.  

adiantum

Hi @Mamarc, I'm glad you found us again & hope you become a regular. 

Life does get in the way but we have to put ourselves first & being kind to ones self is of highest importance.

You have been given great advice her by others and I'm sure your A1c can be lowered in 3 months. 

Mine went from 11 to 7 in three  months with low carb diet & I just increased my gardening & yardwork.

Check the recipes here & enjoy self nurturing by eating right.

Lee

Kit
59 minutes ago, Mamarc said:

Im glad I came here today.  I was trying keto groups, but, not everyone gets the diabetes part, and they seem overboard on fat and high calorie eating.  

There's a misconception here I have to correct.

Keto is high fat, but not necessarily high calorie.  Any diet can be high calorie if you eat enough, but that is not how keto is supposed to go.

I've been doing keto now for about 5 years.  I average around 1500 calories to maintain.

My goals are

Carbs:  30g total or less

Protein:  around 70g (that's actually more of a 60-80g range)

Fat:  around 120g

There are around 4 calories in 1g of protein or carbs

There are around 9 calories per gram of fat.

So I get around

120 calories from carbs

280 calories from protein

That then leaves fat to fill out the rest of my diet, as dietary fat has basically no affect on my BG levels.  I need 1100 more calories to fill out my diet, which is around 122g of fat.  if I needed more calories, I'd add more fat.  If I wanted to drop calories, I drop fat.

The idea behind keto is that you get enough fat and protein to satisfy while limiting carbs and thus the cravings they can trigger.

Lunch today is a flank steak pinwheel stuffed with spinach and goats cheese cooked in the toaster oven here at work with some cut up bell pepper and one jalapeno.  Served with coleslaw with an asian dressing.

Mamarc

I do understand keto, Kit.  But, in the groups I’ve tried, they advise upping the fats for any hunger.  IDK, sometimes, you’ve just got to tough out some hunger, if your bg is riding on it.  At some point, it’s a ridiculous amount of calories for a 54yo woman.  Portions still matter.  I’m sure I eat more protein than I need.  It satisfies my hunger.  I’ll need to be mindful of that.  First step is just cutting out the obvious refined carbs, grains, sugar, and not cheating. See how my numbers are after a few weeks.  

dowling gram

Hi Marmarc

You've gotten good advice on diet so I won't go there. I have an idea for exercise though. If you have access to a pool swimming would be the best exercise for you. It takes the stress off of the body that other exercise won't and it would be easier on your Achilles heel. In fact it might even help it.

The one bit of advice I have on diet is load your house with low carb snacks. It's easier to resist those carby ones if you have a low carb option handy

Mamarc

I love swimming.  The pools here are over $2000/year.  I’ll have to look around again.  It’s been awhile.  When the kids were little, there was more value for a family membership, and it would entertain the kids for hours.  Now, we’ve just started paying for college for our oldest!

weight loss and a anti inflammatory diet should help the tendinitis.  I wonder if the cipro “floxed” my tendons.  I hope not.

Mamarc

Oh, and just being more mindful yesterday has my numbers in the 140s today.  That’s better than 160s!

We have plans to go out tonight, to hear a friend ‘s band.  Meeting his wife, my friend, for dinner.  I’ve already checked the menu online.  I saw a “small plate” of shrimp wrapped in bacon over some sort of greens.  I’ll get any sauce/dressing on the side.  There might be a steak or salmon dinner, too, but the shrimp caught my eye.  

Edited by Mamarc