Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

A question for the ladies here....

Hammer

I watch a ton of Youtube videos, and something that I have noticed, and I wanted to ask the ladies here about....when I watch videos of people giving others a surprise gift of a kitten or puppy, the females of all ages cry.  Why do the girls/teenagers/women cry when they get a gift of a kitten or a puppy?  I mean, it's a cat or a dog, so what is there to cry about?  I realize that I have little to no emotions, so that might be why I don't understand this, but, what is it about getting a new pet that makes the females cry?  I can understand why children cry, as they have little control of their emotions at a young age, but why do teenagers and women cry?  I was hoping that some of the ladies here can explain this to me.  Of all of the videos that I have watched, I'd have to say that maybe 5% of the guys cry, and 95% of the females cry, so I couldn't help but wonder why?  Can any of the ladies here explain this to me?  I would really appreciate any input from the ladies here, and thank you to any of the ladies that respond

steel

I don't cry easily or often, but I do feel emotion strongly when I feel it! I can imagine the sweetness/loving-ness lol of the gesture may make some people cry, particularly teens. They may have always wanted a puppy or kitten. And it's a fulfilled wish for them. Men aren't really allowed, so to speak, to show emotions (outside of anger?), so less of them cry I imagine..even if they were overcome with emotion or just found the creature adorable.

Puppies make me cry (inside lol) sometimes if I am in touch with my emotions that day, because they just look so innocent and playful. It reminds me of childhood, and that stirs emotion for me...joy, longing, melancholy, affection, love.

Hammer

Steel, I agree that men aren't allowed to show their emotions, but I take that to a whole new level.  I inadvertently programmed myself from the age of about 5, to avoid feeling emotions.  What I found was that, when my parents would take my brother and I to someplace....an amusement park, the beach, whatever, as we got close to the place....let's say the beach, my brother would see the ocean, then say, look, "there is the ocean"!  That would make me get excited, and when that happened, it would upset my stomach and I'd have to go to the bathroom, which meant that my parents would have to stop the car at anyplace that had a restroom.  I began to realize that anything that excited me would cause me to get an upset stomach, so I decided to try and not get excited when we were close to a beach, amusement park, whatever.  When I tried this, I found that my stomach didn't get upset, so I did this every time we would go someplace that would excite me.  Eventually, I didn't have to mentally do this...it just became automatic.  Unfortunately, this thing of not getting excited about anything began to take on a life of itself.  ANYTHING that excited me became something that my subconscious would totally block out.  After having programmed myself for over 60 years of this, I no longer can control it, so anything that involves emotion, which means anything that can possibly excite me, is completely blocked out.  I never feel happy....sad....excited....remorse....anything, and I have no control over it.  Anyone that knows me says that I am a cold person, mainly because I don't feel anything, no matter what the situation is.

What I have done, is to replace emotions with logic, which is not a perfect swap.  When something happens that is emotional, I look at it logically and respond logically.  When my mother died several years ago, my sister called me to tell me about it. (my mother lived with my sister).  When my sister told me that our mother had died, all I could think of was a logical response...."is there anything that I can do?"  I felt nothing, I had no emotional response, since I don't feel any emotions.  My logical response was to ask if there was anything that I could do.  I mean, I loved my mother....we Skyped every other week, and she was the most important woman in my life, but I didn't feel anything, because I am unable to.

Anyway, that was why I asked the questions in my post above.

dowling gram

It's the old case of gender stereotypes. Some men have been programmed to not show emotion. It's supposed to be unmanly. This is more prevalent in older men who were told they were sissies if they cried. To be manly they were supposed to be the strong silent types. Women were not put under that restraint. We were supposed to be the soft, womanly, emotional types.

I think younger men are more in touch with their feelings. They have become child care givers as much as women and that's a good thing

Hammer

Another question that I have....watching more Youtube videos of people announcing to their friends or relatives, that they are having a baby, the women all start screaming, jumping up and down, and start crying, while the men in the videos just smile and say congratulations.  When do the women act like lunatics when they hear this announcement?  I don't get it, I mean, women get pregnant every day, so why are these pregnancy announcements making these women act crazy?

As a second part to this, when the wife tells the husband that she is pregnant, he is stunned....I mean, did they use birth control?  If not, then what did he think was going to happen?  It comes across to me as if, "We have never used birth control and now my wife is pregnant?  I can't believe it!"  REALLY?  I can believe it!  While I enjoy watching all types of videos, videos of this type make me wonder why these people are reacting this way? (maybe it's because I feel little in the way of emotions, so I can't understand how other people feel when they experience things like this.)

adiantum

Maybe Youtube videos show some  women cry but its certainly not all.

OK my eyes drip tears on occasions, but its something very moving for that to happen..

like a very disabled young person or someone with Downes etc  get employment.

I do not get excited  over the announcement of a pregnancy.

This world is over populated as it is & the planet cant feed everyone.

I cant  imagine the horrible future a child could have when a wold of peace is not guaranteed.

I guess we cant generalize.

dowling gram

Hammer--Welcoming a new life into this world is a joyous occasion for most people but you can't trust videos to give the true story. I'd say that if you know you are being filmed most of it is a show and not real life. Do pregnant women cry--yes. Her hormones are raging and her emotions are close to the surface. Do husbands get that stunned look--occasionally. Not every couple gets pregnant on the first try. Some people have to wait months or even years for that joyous news and when it finally happens emotions are high.

We waited 4 years to get the news. On the way home from the doctors office it felt like my heart was beating outside my body and dancing on the hood of the car. When I told my husband he wasn't stunned. He just got that goofy grin of his and hugged me like there was no tomorrow. When we told our families they were happy for us and some may have cried happy tears. I can't remember but it was nothing like you see on those videos