Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

andypoo

HELP! my brother has no insurance

andypoo

My brother retired about a year ago,due to illness. He wasn't given any insurance,no guidance,no assistance,nothing. He is insulin dependant,has coronary artery disease,had a stent put in a few years ago. He just does not feel good at all. At this point he is unable to work. We have been trying to look into  getting his insulin and other meds,to no avail.Is there anyone out there that has any solutions. The insulin prices are HORRIBLE,that alone will make you sicker. He has worked his whole life but his health couldn't take it anymore,he had several seizures at work,no one cared,he had to drive himself to the E.R.. He is paying a mortgage and car payments from early SSI,which is not much,but that and food and utilities eats it all up.. Can anyone please help with where to go or who to call? he has enough insulin for about 20 more days.HELP. He takes novolog and lantus.Thank you 

andypoo

Thanks for answering,,can you do that at age 62?  I thought a person can't get medicare til 65.

Kit

Exceptions can be made.  My brother went on Medicare in his early 50s due to disability (blind, renal failure).  It takes some time to happen, but in cases like that, its worth the effort.

This was in Illinois.  I don't know if its the same in other states.

Hammer

If your brother is getting Social Security, then he is eligible for Medicare.  If he doesn't go on Medicare now, Medicare automatically begins two years after he started on Social Security.  I retired on disability, but the information packets that they send you from both Social Security and Medicare, explain this.  I opted to hold off on starting Medicare for that two year period, because my retiree medical insurance was better.  Once that two year period was over and I was put on Medicare, my retiree insurance then placed me on a Medicare Advantage Plan, which is a lot better than just Medicare.

Call your local Social Security office and ask them about it, and who you need to contact to start on Medicare.  Keep in mind that Medicare Part A, which covers major medical expenses like hospitalizations, is free, but Part "B", which covers doctor visits, tests, etc., isn't free, and Part "D":, which covers prescription drugs, is also not free.  I have Parts "A" and "B", and Part "B" costs me $134 a month, which they deduct from my monthly Social Security benefit.  I don't know what Part "D" costs since my retiree insurance covers my prescription drugs.

andypoo

thanks all of you, I really appreciate your comments. I will be talking to my brother  soon and I will pass this on to him.

Kit

I spoke to my mother who helped my brother go through the process.

She says that when he was signed up for social security disability, he was automatically signed up for Medicare, though it was a 6 month process.  He needs to talk to SSI and get this process started ASAP if it hasn't been started already.

However Medicare, by itself, will not pay for his insulin.  It will require a supplemental.  

However, she also said that "The federal computers talk to one another.  There is a federal program that, if your income is low enough, they automatically put you on "extra help".  This will pay medical and his insulin.

Also she said "If income is that low, Medicade should pay for supplemental."

Don't know how helpful that may be, but it does mean he needs to get moving and get this straightened out.  There are programs out there, but hoops must be jumped through and bureaucracy dealt with.

Kit

Another option, at least to get him through temporarily, would be to look at Walmart.  They have $25 insulin, but its not a modern type if I remember right.  But, it could at least get him through until something else kicks in.

TX_Clint

Disabled people who are approved for Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits will receive Medicare, and those who are approved for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will receive Medicaid. However, SSDI recipients aren't eligible to receive Medicare benefits until two years after their date of entitlement. For more information on calculating how this is calculated, see our article on when you'll receive Medicare benefits. There is no waiting period for SSI recipients to receive Medicaid. See https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/will-i-get-medicare-medicaid-with-disability.html

I recommend you connect to this site as they also have a live chat to help with your specific needs. Remember different states can have different requirements for medicaid but in general if your brother is approved for SSI he should qualify for medicaid with no problem.

lgvincent

I have five vials of Novolog I can send.  They expire in November but that shouldn't be a problem since I have several insulin pens that expired two years ago that I'm still using.  All I ask is for reimbursement for the shipping costs.  

TX_Clint
15 hours ago, lgvincent said:

I have five vials of Novolog I can send.  They expire in November but that shouldn't be a problem since I have several insulin pens that expired two years ago that I'm still using.  All I ask is for reimbursement for the shipping costs.  

lgvincent, that post was from back in April.