Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
steel

same one and two hour pp numbers

steel

Hello

Has anyone else had the same numbers one and two hour pp? I am noticing that my 1 hr peak of 120 stays the same after another hour and only goes down to 100 3 hours pp. I am pretty baffled by this. I haven't increased the carb content. A few weeks back I would drop from 8s (accidentally spiked from yogurt) to 6s after one hour. I am really at a loss.

Tonight I had some ground beef curry and I tend to be at 110 after that 2 hrs pp. Today for the full three hours I was stuck at 122.

If anyone has any thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

dowling gram

Usually when it takes 3 hours to return to your before eating number it means that there is something carby eaten that's keeping it up. What was in your curry? Go over the ingredients and see if there's some ingredient that would cause you to stay up. Some curry's have yogurt. Was it in yours or did you have the exact same thing the other times you ate it? It does take some investigation but there is a reason why it is staying up.

Kit

What's your baseline looking like currently?  If that has gone up again, it can affect your PP numbers.

I have found that usually if I get a sustained rise like that (not a bad one, but one that stays up longer) is usually due to the affect of carbs slowed down by fats and proteins.

Also, how much protein was in the meal?  Its a possibility it was a sustained rise due to gluconeogenesis.

steel
11 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Usually when it takes 3 hours to return to your before eating number it means that there is something carby eaten that's keeping it up. What was in your curry? Go over the ingredients and see if there's some ingredient that would cause you to stay up. Some curry's have yogurt. Was it in yours or did you have the exact same thing the other times you ate it? It does take some investigation but there is a reason why it is staying up.

Hi there, I made the curry myself using the same tried and tested (literally BG tested hehe) ingredients.

The only difference was I added less water to it (ingredients: ground beef, one small onion, crushed tomatoes, coconut milk and spices) so it was thicker. Generally, I would be at 6.2 ish  (110 or so) afterwords. This time it was higher, which didn't alarm me too much but that it didn't budge for another hour (3 hour mark) was what concerned me. You're right there's definitely a reason why it stayed up. I measure what I eat, so the quantity wasn't higher either (re: gluconeogenesis @Kit i thought about that too). I really want my post meal numbers to be down to 110 if not 100. Those longer stretches with 120 are not good and will mess up my A1C, bringing it out of 4% club lol. But on a serious note, I am really hoping it will be in the non diabetic ranges this time as well because I have been trying my best and been very consistent and disciplined.

I am hoping the reason why this is happening is more because of carb content rather than my pancreas suddenly not handling things how it used to just a few weeks back.

--

Kit I have noticed a higher fasting number since I've been on the beta blocker (supposed to be cardioselective but from what I am reading some people have had BG changes since going on bisoprolol) for my heart rate.  It's ranging between 90s-108. I was always 100 and below earlier. Studies done on this beta blocker show it doesn't cause significant changes, and I get that. Because the other med sent my fasting to 120, which was awful because my metformin is a low dose and I am diet controlled. I mentioned the higher numbers to my doctor and asked for a higher dose of metformin, and it was refused because apparently they won't make any changes until the A1C goes above 6 (god forbid..I really don't want to go there).

The beta blocker isn't that bad but has impacted my BG numbers for sure. Before I started it, I would always drop from 6.5 to 5.7 or so post meals. Now I am seeing more instances of the number going up to 6.7 and just sort of lingering there for an extra hour  before dropping to 5.5. It doesn't happen with every meal but it does happen more often.

dowling gram

Steel--There's your problem I looked up Beta blockers and blood glucose and found this---

beta-blockers also block the release of insulin by interacting with nerve signals to the pancreas and can thus lower insulin levels even when blood glucose is high.

It seems to me that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place unless there is an alternative to the Beta Blockers. I think you have to have a talk with your doctor.

steel
6 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Steel--There's your problem I looked up Beta blockers and blood glucose and found this---

beta-blockers also block the release of insulin by interacting with nerve signals to the pancreas and can thus lower insulin levels even when blood glucose is high.

It seems to me that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place unless there is an alternative to the Beta Blockers. I think you have to have a talk with your doctor.

Hi dowling, I appreciate you looking this up. Thank you :)

I did some research as well but the one I take Bisoprolol  is supposed to be cardioselective and not affect pancreatic beta cells. However, that's how it's "supposed" to work..I have read reports from people on it that it did impact their BG.  The studies seem to say it didn't make a significant difference, like sure it's not raising BG sky high and the difference is more of about 10-15 points for fasting and a longer duration for BG to go back to fasting levels. It's not a major or harmful change (I hope) but it is a noticeable impact I am seeing without having changed my diet, like it's so predictable and carefully measured that if it weren't for t2d I'd call it boring even. I do  my best to eat the right quantities, at the right times, with strict carb counts. And still these changes have taken place, unfortunately.

I spoke with my cardiologist today, and they're sure the Biso doesn't impact BG (significantly..is the word they didn't utter but there has been no other change whatsoever, and my weight has been stable too). It's working really well for my heart rate, so it wasn't changed. Calcium channel blockers are the other option. They don't affect BG at all. You're right though..I am caught between a rock and a hard place for now.

I am going to have to wait until my next A1C, unfortunately. I am going to push my doctor to increase my metformin dosage. The met might just make me more insulin sensitive.

Edited by steel

steel

okay had one of my usual meals ..one hr pp 6, 2 hours pp 5.8 (meter variance possibly).  in the past i used to drop to low 5s after this meal.  fasting this morning was 5.5. 2 hr pp is pretty close to that but there's barely any drop from the 6 one hour pp.