Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

My daughter's new twin babies....

dowling gram
7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Dowling, my daughter has a Bachelor's degree in photography, and she is an excellent photographer.  When she graduated from college, she got a job working as a staff photographer for the House Of Representatives.  

I'm like you, I am also a lousy photographer, and I have no way of knowing how to frame a subject.  I have read books on it, what with their 2/3 formula, and after reading those books, I still have no idea what they mean.  If I take a good picture, it was an accident, since I have no idea why it turned out that way.  What I prefer to do, is to edit other people's pictures using Photoshop.  I know how to use Photoshop, but I don't know how to take a good picture, so I'd much rather edit other people's pictures, rather than try to take pictures myself.

I'm an artist so I know how to frame a picture but somehow I always move the camera as I push the shutter so I crop people's heads off and never get the picture I see in the viewfinder. As much as I try to not move I somehow always do.

Hammer
28 minutes ago, dowling gram said:

I'm an artist so I know how to frame a picture but somehow I always move the camera as I push the shutter so I crop people's heads off and never get the picture I see in the viewfinder. As much as I try to not move I somehow always do.

Well, in my mind, when I am going to take a picture, I always place the subject in the middle of the picture, because, I figure, that's what I am taking the picture of.  My daughter knows that you don't necessarily place the subject in the middle of the picture, but often times, place the subject to one side of the picture.  I don't have the "eye" to do that, so my pictures are often boring, but my daughter's pictures, especially when she's photographing a wedding, always seem to jump out at you and have a life of their own.  I'll never be able to take pictures like that, because I don't have the knack for seeing the subject in a different way.

My first attempt at taking pictures was when my daughter was born.  Back then, I took my daughter to a photography studio to have pictures taken of her to be given to my parents and my in-laws as a Christmas present.  The first few years I did this, the pictures were okay, but after a while, I wasn't happy with the pictures, or what it cost me to have those pictures taken.  I decided that, for what those pictures cost me, I'd be better off buying a good 35 mm film camera (we didn't have digital cameras back then), and take the pictures myself.  I read a bunch of reviews and ended up buying a Pentax ME Super, 35 mm film camera, which was the top rated camera at that time.  I also bought a 50 mm Pentax lens, and a high end Pentax zoom lens.  What I did was to take lots of pictures of my daughter at home, with my parents, and with my in-laws.  I did that over a year's period, then for Christmas, I selected some of the pictures for each set of parents, had copies of them made, then placed them in a small photo album and gave the album to each set of parents.  By taking so many pictures of my daughter, I ended up with some really nice shots, but I had no idea why those pictures turned out so well.  I figured that, if I took loads of pictures, I would at least get a few good shots, which I did.

I don't have a great digital camera, my first digital camera was an Olympus C2500, a 2.5 megapixel camera, which I ended up giving to a guy at work.  My second digital camera was the original Canon Digital Rebel, a 6.3 megapixel camera, which I still have, and a few years ago, for some unknown reason, I decided to buy a Canon Digital Rebel Ti7, which is an 18 megapixel camera which I never use.  It was on sale, and I thought it was a good deal so I bought it.  I may have taken 20 pictures with it so far, so it was a waste of money, but at least I have it, in the event I become a great photographer and need a camera.🙄