Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

ran23

Head Cold? going around?

ran23

OK, so I knew something was wrong Thursday (16) and that evening I was drinking anything in site.  Today, Friday I had agreed to walk the Mall while my wife got a haircut.  2 miles later, not bad.  I have tried a few 'Daytime' OTC (Alka Seltzer, Theraflu0) not much luck.    AT 6:00 PM I started the theraflu PM.   fingers crossed.

dowling gram

Try a salt water gargle and load up on vitamin C. Salt has antiseptic qualities and will kill germs in the throat. It also soothes a sore throat. Vitamin C boosts your immune system and it's water soluble so your body gets rid of what it doesn't need. Neither of these will up your blood glucose. At the first sign of a cold I start on the vitamin C. I take 3 or 4-500 mg tablets spaced throughout the day and I gargle with salt water often and drink lots of plain water to flush the germs away. My colds don't usually amount to anything

ran23

Day 3 here,  starting slow and not taking much to see where I am at.   hot green tea helps.   vit C

OneEye

My mother used to say, "Feed a cold and it'll be gone in 7 days. Starve a cold and it'll be gone in a week!"

ran23

still not sure this is allergies, because of the high tree pollen count the last 2 weeks.   

ran23

Day 6 and back from a walk in the rain.  think I will try today without any cold caps/Alka Seltzer/Nyquil. 

dowling gram

Try an antihistamine--allergy pill. Allergies can mimic a cold. If you feel better an hour after the allergy pill it's allergies and not a cold. Whenever I feel like I'm getting a cold I take extra vitamin C and an allergy pill. If I feel better in a while I know it's allergies but I have the extra vitamin C just in case. There's not much sense treating 1 when it could be the other and you've taken the wrong thing. Some cold meds do have antihistamine in them but you might be taking things you don't need

ran23

wife is still sick, we may be trading this back and forth, happened a few years ago.  

OneEye
13 hours ago, ran23 said:

wife is still sick, we may be trading this back and forth, happened a few years ago.  

Rarely does one not get a temporary immunity to a particular rhinovirus. If you're passing this back and forth...there's a chance both your immune systems are down. Maybe try boosting your immune systems with foods and drinks rich in vitamin C and B6. I don't recommend using vitamin C or B6 supplements.