Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Mamarc

How to reduce high fasting bg?

Mamarc

I tend to run high fasting, even when my other numbers are good.  I’m not on meds, and control by eating low carb, sometimes as strict as keto.  

That said, I overindulged at a party last night, on carbs, and on all foods, and had a few glasses of wine.  

My bg is very high today.  I’ve not yet eaten, and brought it down by 50 points with a walk.  It’s still over 200.  😊

Ive really never had it so high since my diagnosis, and wonder the best strategies to get it down fast, today.  Also appreciate dealing with dawn phenomenon readings long term.  

I’m trying really hard to get my numbers under control to avoid meds.  I’d run an A1c in the 5s for 8+ years, but recently gained weight, and my control has become a struggle.  Working on increasing activity and exercise, as well as weight loss.  It’s so much harder now vs 8-9 years ago, when I was diagnosed.

meyery2k

I understand you want to stay away from meds but, to play devil's advocate, you might consider Metformin.  It helps many people here.  I was taking it and it helped me as I learned to adopt habits.  If my memory serves, I was taking 500mg in the morning.

@Hammer makes some very compelling reasoning to use insulin.  He finds it helps him dial in to where he wants to be exactly.

The only short term advice I can give is to try and not cheat.  I eat that piece of cheesecake and I pay for it for about 3 days.  Exercise (not too crazy) and low carb will help.

Kit

In all honesty, without meds, the only way to lower your numbers is through time and exercise.  Like @meyery2k, if my numbers jump up high for some reason, its usually about a day before it comes back down and I still tend to go higher after eating for a few days after that as my body slowly recovers.

Dp can be frustrating.  I found it helpful to have a small snack before bedtime like a small piece of cheese, maybe some nuts, etc.  I did  find that after a few years pretty much doing keto that DP is much less of a problem.  It still shows up here and there, but its the exception and not the rule.

adiantum

Hi mamarc, it does get more difficult to lose weight & keep the bg under control as the years roll on.

All you can do is stay true to the cause & try harder or consider meds.

Cheat days effects were lasting me  3 or 4 days & they were becoming more frequent .

My exercises were lessening which has me considering writing a book on 'excuses'.

After 11 years of med free   Ive had to ask for meds  , so have recently started taking Diamicron 

Mamarc

Thanks.  I fasted until dinner that day and got down to 112 by pre dinner test.  But, yeah, numbers running higher still.  

I’m only 54, soon to be 55, but, menopause and a hospital stay 2 years ago, 8 days of no food or water, shifted my metabolism.  I lost a lot of muscle mass, and was on a bland diet for many months.  

I’m hoping if I can add muscle, lose weight, that I’ll become more metabolically flexible again.  But, I guess it might not be possible.  I know it never goes away, but when I was 45 pounds lighter, I could eat just about anything, in moderation, on occasion, as long as I typically stayed low carb.  My A1c stayed in the 5s until a few months ago.  I’ve not had it checked since December, but, I’m probably around 7 right now.

No more cheating, obviously.  It’s hard because our friends are all empty nesters, and go out, throw casual parties frequently.  We actually join in less often, because we still have a 15yo.  I don’t know how they eat/drink how they do, and stay trim and healthy!  Well, not all are trim...