Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
fattyboyjp3

PEP Talk Please

fattyboyjp3

Hello, again I just need a PEP Talk!

How are your all numbers been? I test sometimes but lately, I guess I can't have No Bread I eat my 3 slices a day but its DAVES Bread its suppose to be good for ya!

It's full of protein so it says. I like peanut butter for a snack and nuts but if I cannot have bread what can I eat with it as a sandwich?

I am almost tired of Eggs, Meat, chicken, beans, fish, salads,  Damit I hate you T2!

My numbers when I wake up are 217 then I just tested at 9:30 I was 245 if I starve I can get to 140 I have never been to 70s.

I do eat very clean and I do exercise this week have not tho.  I am a Moutain Biker, I do my basic exercises too, like pushups and stuff, run in place

Anyways then I see an ad that Metformin is dangerous!  I hope that was Fake news, but aren't we all on Metformin?    

Oh and then I forgot to take my Trulicity this AM Damit;  just not having life fun anymore this sucks...   

Edited by fattyboyjp3

keenast

Obviously, in our situation our food selection isn't  as varied! But that's a rather small price to pay. You have to cut out bread, Dave's or not, I would also cut out beans - and don't eat too much nuts either. Concentrate more on veggies (no roots though). Anything green is good. I'm not a good cook but my wife is and she makes the most delicious meals out of this reduced selection. It might be a bit of a challenge but you will feel so much better seeing your numbers going down. How is your weight?

meyery2k

Eating to my meter helped me establish good ideas of what I could eat which then became habits.  I also love peanut butter.  I eat it without bread. I just got accustomed to eating it that way.  I find it is a great mid day or morning meal that gives me the energy to ride my bike.  With the popularity of keto now, there are tons of recipes and idea out there to offer variety.

fattyboyjp3

I eat nuts all day! walnuts and Pecans, almonds damn i have to give up nuts too?  I am down from 250 to 178lbs I think I can go 10 more, I have been cutting back on Portions Like i said I eat plain, I am the cook in the house which does suck I have no Help!  Some days I have to have Cereal, I was diagnosed April 2015, I am still pissed off that i have this!  When do you stop being so mad yall?  I hate watching family eat and birthdays sux 

meyery2k

You might not like my answer but my path was to accept that I have diabetes and make the changes I need to make.  Improvise, adapt, and overcome.  

I have seen relatives suffer from uncontrolled diabetes.  Some of this was wilful and some ignorance as there was simply not as much understanding about it as there is now.  Keeping my sight, limbs, and not being the relative no one wants to visit because they are slowly rotting away in a wheelchair are big motivations for me.

One thing that I have learned is there are no absolutes to this.  You stated that you eat nuts.  They are an excellent source of energy.  Being plant based, they do have carbs so those need to be accounted for if you use insulin or regulated if you are trying to do this with diet and exercise.  I doubt anyone here is going to advise you to not eat nuts.  Rather, eat to your meter, and find out what portion is good.

Again, this is tough love here, being angry about having diabetes does not accomplish anything.  Accept it and respect that you have it.  I actually find myself living better because of diabetes.  I would never have gotten myself back into shape and missed many wonderful adventures and experiences along the way.  Getting on my bike has opened up the world for me and feeling better about myself has opened new doors in life.

Don't get me wrong, I am not rah-rah-rah, hooray for diabetes, but I have it and if I want to live (which beats the alternatives I am aware of) I need to work a little harder at it.

Now for the carrot, I do sympathize with being fearful and angry.  It does suck.  It can, however, be lived with.

In closing - excellent job on the weight loss!  I had to lose 100.  You have achieved a remarkable accomplishment.  If you can do that, you can do this. ~ Mike

Kit

Welcome back @fattyboyjp3

When do you stop being mad? Hard to say. When you fully accept the fact that you are diabetic perhaps. 

I am also the cook in the house and my husband is incompetent when it comes to cooking, so it's all just me. Yes it would be so nice if someone could take over for me, especially at the start, but it wasn't too be so I just did what I had to do no matter how I felt. 

Maybe it's odd, but I never had the problem of watching others eat things I could not. I can't tell you why it never bothered me. 

My mother's funeral was on Tuesday. Afterwards we all came back to her place. There were sandwiches, potato salad, pasta salad, cookies, a peach cobbler, and similar. 

At 6am that morning I was making what I'm starting to call my anti pasta salad. Zoodles, tomato, mozzarella, prosciutto, onion, bell peppers, and pesto. That's what I had. By the time everyone had left, 6 people had asked me for the recipe. I had no desire for the other stuff. I didn't want it. 

Some suggestions that might help. 

Always make sure you have something easy and simple you can throw together that you like. That way when you're tired or it's late or similar, there is something there for you. I keep a couple Atkins tv dinners in the freezer for those nights when I don't get home from work until really late and it would be so easy to just stop at some fast food place instead of cooking. 

When I eat peanut butter, which isn't often because it triggers cravings, I have it with celery. More often I use it in recipes, like a peanut sauce or like. I really like Asian style stir fries and I've gotten pretty good at them making the sauce from scratch. They are actually really simple and quick to make. Bottle crap not required other than the soy or fish sauce. 

I was a bread eater. I loved the stuff. Whole wheat, thick crunchy crusts were a passion.  I loved sandwiches. Hummus, turkey, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, cucumber, and similar on toasted whole wheat bread was a favorite. I pretty much gave up on all bread after I was diagnosed as testing myself showed I could not tolerate it at all. Instead I take most of the same ingredients and just make a salad out of it. Same flavors, just different eating method. 

Nuts can be a good snack, but they still have carbs and so can add up faster than you realize, especially if you snack on them all day. So you don't have to give them up, just be careful of how many you are eating. 

What I don't do is eat mindlessly. I try to avoid snacking. Doesn't always happen, but I try.  And on that note, there is still a ton of cheese in the fridge that I'm going to have to throw away in the morning. Cheese crackers are in my near future I suspect.

You don't "have" to have cereal. But if you really want it, there are recipes for low carb cereal that look pretty good. 

But the most important thing to keep in mind is to plan a head. If you are prepared, it is much easier to stay on track. After a while, it becomes such a habit that is normal. 

Kit

@meyery2kmentioned something that I forgot.

My brother went blind from diabetic retinopathy a couple weeks before I was diagnosed. That scared me. I work in computers, I love to read. Losing my sight would be a massive blow. 

Over the next three years I saw his kidneys fail, dialysis, two amputations, and in the end he died a truly horrible death. 

I had some really major motivation on my side from day one. In many ways my brother saved my life. 

stevenal
4 hours ago, fattyboyjp3 said:

.. but its DAVES Bread its suppose to be good for ya...

Are you speaking of Dave's Killer Bread? Funny how some brand names have taken on new very literal meanings since I was diagnosed.

I generally eat natural no sugar added pb with a spoon. I try to keep coconut paleo wraps on hand for when a hand held edible food holder is absolutely necessary, but I keep their use limited due to cost.

adiantum

Kudos to you . I think you are great in losing so much weight & still keeping very active. 

You must learn to value your feet , eyes etc & get away from that carb addiction.

Eating them just makes you crave for more.

If you eat meat , try to be more creative with cooking. Fry a steak in butter & stir in cream  in the pan juices for a gravy.

Cook up 2 & keep one for breakfast the next day....without toast .

I dont eat red meat, but do that with mushrooms. Its like a stroganoff.

I use  a lot of butter with my veges. I'm sure brussell sprouts enjoy swimming in it.

Cheese & nuts are great snack foods.

Kit

Oohh, add some spinach in with those mushrooms and you've got one of my favorite side dishes. :)

2116.thumb.jpg.c35eb8cb866eebc2a99ada811d0c494d.jpg

Dinner tonight. A salad concoction and a grilled ham and cheese making a flat bread out of coconut flour. Not my usual type of thing, but trying to make use of left overs. 

I hate throwing away good food. 

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

I had some nice shrimp from the store.  I fryed up 2 slices of bacon and set aside.  Cut up zucchini, mushrooms, and daikon which I sauteed in the bacon grease.  Threw in a few peanuts.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.  Added the shrimp, crumbled the bacon and tossed it in.  Added some cream and parmesan cheese,  mixed in some salsa and topped with sour cream.  That was dinner.

This after riding my bike 80 km.  My stomach was grumbling madly while all this was cooking!

fattyboyjp3

Thanks to All

I come from an Italian family

Mike- I hear you and yes the weight loss was just Mountain biking and P90X, and I was eating way too much in Portion size.  I say the cardio is a help when I bike my Heart rate gets near my MAX all the time.   I am aware of things I put in my mouth that is why I am here, I look for recipes all the time but it just plain out sux I am a picky eater!  I see your bike to are you a roadie?   I am looking for gravel or adventure or whatever they call them today bikes for my wife!   I am almost 50 and I am 5 inside when I jump on my fat bike!

Kit- That dinner looks good, I am also sitting at a desk in the computer world.  I am a Tech Engineer, learning a new job and its not easy.

So sorry to hear about your Mom and your brother wow!  I had a stubborn grandfather he was blind but worked at a medical center found his way around he was active somehow he changed the oil on cars and wired in outlets. very strange but we never knew what his health was he never let anyone go into the room with him he was a mean dude!  But I think he had Diabetes and never told anyone he was an old Italian guy always ate Pasta and bread.  I just don't know what he had but he clasped in his dinner one day when they were out to eat!

Stevenal- Yes that's it Daves Killer bread LOL I think Dave was in a Prison cell and he had a bad past so somehow he decided to make this bread he has a crazy story.

adintum- I hate mushrooms, LOL  but yes I like meats and gravies to me are hard to make, I tried this Cloud bread recipe at 9 PM last night my wife wanted burger King so i went and got her that and I went home to bake!   So tell me how hard that was!  this cloud bread didn't turn out like the video showed but i need to practice it all it has in it is Eggs, baking powder, Cream Cheese  well I didn't do something right but when my concoctions don't turn out while doing it I start throwing garlic, pepper, basil, Onions Bell Peppers, and whatever else I find but it turned out to be a calzone and I finally ate at 2200  but that is my life, and today I am alone so I am going to my Lake after work and ride a trail but first I am going Sailing!

Kit

I've not tried cloud bread, it just seems too eggy to me. There are some others of they're that use almond flour that seem pretty interesting. 

A trick. Depending on recipe size, try adding a half or full packet of rapid yeast. It won't help anything rise, but will help add that yeast flavor to what you make. 

When I usually go for a bready item, my go toos are a knock off of a cheddar bay biscuit (good well with soups) or peanut butter bread from Headbanger's Kitchen. It's actually petty good. 

Both Headbangers Kitchen and KetoConnect have popular low carb bread recipes that might be worth looking at. 

My flight is about to leave, so can't get direct links to recipes now. 

If there are any members in Chicago, I'll save as I fly past. :)

meyery2k

I have 2 bikes.  A Specialized Sirrus Disc which is a fitness bike (upright geometry).  This was my first bike which helped me figure out what type of riding I like to do.  A few months ago, I purchased a Specialized Sequoia which is classified as an adventure bike.  I love it.  It was a great recommendation from the LBS.  Cro-Molly frame with carbon fiber forks.  Perfect for gravel and rough road riding as well as on the road.  I can keep up with the roadies good enough on it too lol...

Now that you asked we must trade pics and you must let me know what you got!

Fiare on Mauna Loa(Sirrus)

Image may contain: bicycle, road and outdoor

Kokopelli (Sequoia)

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

fattyboyjp3

This is the Only bike I ride right now!  My other transport I just have to go to the lake and Have wind!  LOL

fatb.JPG

Me and my Fatty!

fatbi.JPG

Fatty POSE

16306711_x.jpg

This is my Baby!

Edited by fattyboyjp3