Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

leww37334

Morning blood sugar

leww37334

first let's start with basic info I take two 500 mg metfomin at breakfast and two at dinner plus 5 mg farxiga at breakfast.  I have now twice forgotten to take the dinner  metformin.  But neither time did it effect my blood glucose level at all.    

I now have another issue now my morning blood sugar is 140, but I took an A1c now test and it showed 5.3,  I went to my doctor and had a lab A1C test  it was 5.6, these numbers do not match,  Please help

meyery2k

We might be able to offer some insight if you can let us know what your diet is like.  It is possible you are spiking from something in your diet.  Fasting readings are usually the last to show changes.

Any other medication, recent illness, or stress?  These can also play a factor.

Kit

Metformin is one of those meds that had to build up in your system to be effective. Because of this, a missed dose here or there really doesn't have much difference. 

What do your numbers look like the rest of the day,especially your post meal numbers? It's very difficult to say anything without having more than one data point to work with. 

A 140 fasting would imply a higher A1C than you received, but if it's just dawn phenomena, the rest of your day could be much better and explain the difference in expectation. 

leww37334

Diet less than  1000 cal per day less than 100 gm carbs  (weight loss diet), evening blood sugar 124  

Edited by leww37334

leww37334

Doctor took three vials of blood for multiple tests, he did not mention any trace of anemia 

meyery2k

What about your protein intake?

1,000 calories isn't much.  When I found out I had diabetes that encouraged me to change things up.  I adopted low carb high fat.  It took a year but at 1800 calories a day and 50g carbs or less, I lost 100 pounds.

leww37334

First congratulations on your weight loss, that is great.   I try to keep fat low so probably   the rest is protein,  I am  thinking seriously about taking Metformin at bedtime rather than dinner,  maybe that will help....