Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
furiousdiabetic

Higher bg on low carb diet??

furiousdiabetic

Freshly diagnosed type 2. Was diagnosed a month or so ago, went to see a dietitian per my doc referral, saw her, and she tells me to keep a food journal (but not change anything yet), also to monitor my bgs per the little meter and test strips. I am absolutely terrified of this diabetes stuff so I do as ordered (of course I DID change the frequency at which I was running to get fast food - it's now down to zero!).

Dietitation now says do low carb diet. She gives me sample menu (protein, greens, healthy fats, mostly). I get new med that i havent started yet (metformin). Thought i'd get used to the diet first right, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change?

So, I started out simple. Basically, a 4 oz serving of protein (usually chicken breast) with some greens and a simple vinaigrette that I made. I literally eat this for lunch and dinner every day except for breakfast I'll scramble a few eggs with a pat of butter. I get overwhelmed with too many details, I thought this would be a nice jump off point. I feel good. Not hungry, like to the point I have to remind myself to eat on a schedule. I felt like I needed a snack on days 1 and 2, and i grabbed 1-2 oz of mixed nuts on those days.

Today is day 4. Day 1's fasting glucose was 189. It has increased every morning. Today it was 305. It slowly falls down toward the lowest of the day like it always has, right before dinner .... used to be 120, now it is 200.

In addition to what I wrote above about what I am eating, I am having either a cup of black tea or a cup of black coffee in the morning. Just 1. I don't consume any Atkins bars or any of those types of things. No artifical sweeteners except I did have a diet coke on day 2.

I feel great though! I'm not starving, I'm not obsessed with food, I have more energy, I just feel SO good! But - my blood sugar is so much higher, I do not understand. And I am really afraid. Does this low carb thing not work for some people? Will it eventually right itself? I am off to search this forum for more information, just thought I'd get a head start and see if anyone could help me see what I am doing wrong :(

Kit

Wow, a dietitian actually recommended a true low carb diet?  That's almost a miracle.  :)

Hi @furiousdiabetic, welcome to the group.

I'll be honest, I haven't seen reactions like that before to a low carb diet.  Normally BG numbers will drop, if not go back to near normal.  Do you have an estimate on how many grams of carbs you are eating a day?  What you describe sounds good, but maybe there might be something that you don't realize has more carbs in it.

Are you on any other meds other than the metformin?  Some medications can raise blood glucose levels.  Most common are steroids or statins, but there are others as well.

I'd also recommend going a head and starting the metformin.  It doesn't have an affect right away, but takes a while to build up into your system.  While it can cause some gastric issues (mine were mild and only lasted a couple weeks), I understand that taking it with a low carb diet can help with those side effects.

I'd also recommend asking your doctor to test for c-peptide levels and antibodies.  C-peptide will give an idea on how much insulin you are making.  Typically, a T2 would have higher than normal levels.  In a T1, c-peptide levels will be low to non existent depending on when the autoimmune attack started.  A T2 can also have low c-peptide levels if their ability to produce insulin has dropped.  A positive antibody test is the only way to diagnose T1.  Its the very definition of that type.  An antibody attack can start at any age, not just children.  That's just a myth.

I've been doing a lchf (low carb/high fat) diet for about 5 years now and I really have no desire to go back.  I do recommend you introduce a little variety into yours.  I know at first the need for simplicity means eating the same few things over and over, but for longevity, you do want some variations.

Went out for dinner last night and had a ribeye steak with a side of broccoli with a few small carrot pieces, and a large serving of spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

Another possibility might be gluconeogenesis, where the body can convert protein into glucose.  But, from what you describe, I don't think that would be your issue.  Actually I'm pretty sure it is not, as you would had to eat to eat a significant amount of protein in order to raise someone's numbers that much, and that does not sound like your case.

Which leads me into another reason to go a head and start taking the metformin.  It does not actively lower our bg numbers.  Instead it helps with insulin resistance, making it easier for our bodies to make use of the insulin we make.  It also helps keep the liver from releasing too much stored glucose (one of its jobs).

Glad to hear you are going through the archives.  There's a lot of helpful information there.  And feel free to ask any questions you might have.  There's a lot of first hand experience here and we're more than happy to help.

adiantum

Welcome to the forum . How frustrating for you to be doing it right  nutrition yet  your not receiving rewards.

Sometimes one method doesnt suit all.

Others have traveled with success for many years without meds.  I only lasted 10 years with ease   & am trying meds now but having issues.

A few questions...

How long between meals? Perhaps smaller meals with less time in between.

Do you wash your hands before testing?  food residue, perspiration or even urine can give a false elevated reading.

Are you taking other meds or supplements that could affect your BG? eg.  I'm taking VitB3 which raises BG but I have no choice.

Can you go back to your doctor & ask for more tests to eliminate other forms such as type 1 or MODA. A c-peptide should pick this up.

You have us thinking so please keep us in the loop.

dowling gram

Hi furiousdiabetic and welcome to the forum

Kit had given you some good advice. You may not be a type 2 but a late onset type 1 and the only way to find out is to be tested. With that diet your numbers should have dropped. It sounds much like mine when first diagnosed. I soon learned that I could not sustain that diet and had to add other things. Besides that it is lacking in fat intake. When you cut carbs you must add good fat so your body has a source of energy.

Try adding--Avocado, cheese,dark chocolate, fish, coconut oil, olive oil,full fat low carb yogurt and chia or flax seeds to your diet. All are high in good fat and low in carbs. Chia seeds can be made into a good low carb pudding and so can avocado. There are plenty of low carb high fat recipes on line or in our recipe section. For something fast do a stirfry with chicken or beef and vegetables and add your favorite low carb full fat salad dressing. As you go on you'll find plenty of low carb options to add variety to your meals and make them more sustainable long term.

I really do hope you get your BG under control and the first step should be to start on your medication and be tested for type 1.

Please let us know how it goes with you. There is a lot of knowledge here and we'll help any way we can

meyery2k

Welcome!  Nothing to add unfortunately.  It is important to determine if you are Type 1, 1.5, or 2 as the mechanics of each are quite different.  No matter what type, long timers will agree that limiting carbs will help.

Fat is your friend.  It keeps you full and provides energy.  Eventually, as this becomes habit, you will likely find yu eat much better than before.  I certainly do as far as variety.

Some other benefits of this diet can be weight management and good lipids as well.

furiousdiabetic

thanks for the replies - i’ll try to answer everything...

no meds at all. supplements are B12 and vit D3 that the dr recommend several months ago bc my D was very low. 

i make my salad dressings to avoid additives and hidden sugars - usually olive oil and rice vinegar with salt, pepper, and italian herbs. yesterday it was avocado dressing (this one was just avocado and sriracha with a little water to thin). 

meals 4-5 hours in between. usually bf at 8, lunch at 1pm, dinner around 6. 

do wash hands prior to testing. i use a little alcohol swab prior - is that ok to do?

i cant eat dairy (and cheese/milk is in EVERYthing it seems like so that’s also why i tend to make my own stuff). 

i will ask about the c-peptide test.... that is interesting info and kind if scary actually ☹️

Kit

I also tend to make my salad dressings.  There are so many hidden sugars, starches, and bad oils its ridiculous.

Washing hands before testing can be important to make sure residue on your fingers can't affect your readings.  There really is no need to use the alcohol though.  I was actually warned not to as it can toughen the skin and make it harder to draw blood after a while.

Yeah, the idea of T1 can be a little scary, but the alternative not knowing can be a lot worse in the long run.

Wish you luck.  Let us know how things go.