Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

miketurco

What to do with foot blisters?

miketurco

I walk a few times a week, but not terribly far and nothing like the amount of walking I did yesterday at Taste of Chicago. I ended up with a nickel sized blister on the ball of each foot plus a smaller one on both heels. 

My feet are in pretty good shape. Nerve pain now-and-then, slow to heal but otherwise OK.

Anyway, these things hurt when I walk and I have places to go. (I don't drive.) Can I just pop them and put on a bandaid? 

miketurco

I think a better question to ask is, what do you do when this happens to you? I'm really not looking for medical advice, just input. My thought is to just pop the darn things, but I want to know how others handle such things instead of just jumping up and doing something potentially stupid on my own. 

dowling gram

If you just pop the blister and do nothing you are setting yourself up to get infection there because you are opening the skin in a place that can have a lot of bacteria. Here's what to do

1. Wash your hands with warm water and antibacterial soap.
  2. Using a cotton swab, disinfect a needle with rubbing alcohol or peroxide.
  3. Clean the blister with antiseptic.--More antibacterial soap and then  rubbing alcohol or peroxide
  4. Take the needle and make a small puncture in the blister.
  5. Allow fluid to completely drain from the blister.
  6. Apply antibacterial ointment or cream to the blister. Polysporin makes one with pain relief included
  7. Cover the blister with a bandage.
  8. Clean and reapply antibacterial ointment daily. Keep the blister covered until it heals.
  9. You want everything sterile and the open skin protected from bacteria which can cause infection

Blisters are caused by repeated friction. Invest in a good pair of shoes that fit well and don't rub anywhere if you are going to do a lot of walking

OneEye

Blisters are a natural reaction. I suggest you do nothing. The body will absorb the fluid and heal itself. Your energies should be concentrated on prevention...not fixing it.

adiantum

Mike, please dont burst those  blisters as the risk of infection  is too great. OneEye has given you good advice.

Can you get a cheap pair of innersoles & cut holes corresponding to the blister position, even thick kitchen sponge could work.

Anything to take the pressure off your heels. Put bandaid type dressings on the backs of your heels.

I get lots of blisters on my hands after sunspot treatments & the doctors all say not to burst the blister because of the risk of infection.

I also bathe my hands in  salted water to kill any germs in the vicinity of my blisters, this might help you too.

meyery2k

Mike - In running or cycling we are told not to pop blisters.  They are a reaction to friction and help protect the skin.  While they are a painful nuisance, it is better to leave them alone.

When I don't listen and pop them, they take far longer to heal and are more prone to inflammation and reinjury.

miketurco

OK... I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see how things are. Sounds like no harm in leaving them for another day other than discomfort. If I decide to pop them, I'll do so in a sterile manner, as per Dowling Gram. Thanks all!

dowling gram

Mike You said you have blisters on the bottom of your feet. They may pop just from walking on them. If they do please take precautions to avoid infection and see a doctor at the first sign of infection

miketurco
2 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Mike You said you have blisters on the bottom of your feet. They may pop just from walking on them. If they do please take precautions to avoid infection and see a doctor at the first sign of infection

Besides that they kinda hurt, the thought of them popping on their own makes me want to take care of them myself. If they don't start going down on their own, I'm going to take your advice.

OneEye
3 hours ago, miketurco said:

Besides that they kinda hurt, the thought of them popping on their own makes me want to take care of them myself. If they don't start going down on their own, I'm going to take your advice.

"popping on their own" isn't really a thing. They don't pop...the fluid gets absorbed and the skin grows as usual. It's what the body does.

adiantum

This is the inner sole I  referred to.

Cut the centre out leaving as much margin as possible away from the blister.

Should the blister bust, intentionally or accidentally, that wont be the end of the pain.

If the wound becomes infected, you will be needing   inner soles  for a long time.

766600606_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.3eea3192cf6b13922a0854f16efeee94.jpg

adiantum

If you google " ball of foot cushion"  then go to images, you will find many designs that could suit your need

dowling gram
6 hours ago, OneEye said:

"popping on their own" isn't really a thing. They don't pop...the fluid gets absorbed and the skin grows as usual. It's what the body does.

Maybe pop isn't the right word but on the bottom of the foot or even the heel just walking can rub that thin skin away and open the blister to infection. I have had that happen with one on my heel. Thankfully I didn't get infection because I kept it sterile. Now I wear Skechers --light weight with a padded insole and a good fit and never get a blister no matter how far I walk and shopping with my sisters means an all day walk.

OneEye

If I remember correctly...Band-Aid made a bandage specifically for blisters back in the day. It's a round band aid, like a donut, with a some kind of absorbent center.

Okay, I looked them up on Google. They're called Band-Aid Hydro-Seal. Come recommended from hikers.

adiantum

Mike, your BG control might dictate the importance of keeping those blisters, as your healing & risk of infection could come down to your D control.

miketurco

Thanks again to everyone! The blisters went down on their own and my feet are doing really good. I did check visually, not just by feel, because I have lost some sensation in my feet. Anyway... my son offered to buy me some custom walking shoes and that is going to be my first step... Mike

Hammer

I just came across this thread, so I'm a day late and a dollar short.  If you have blisters on your feet from walking, then you obviously are not wearing the proper shoes.  If you plan on walking a lot, then you should check out some really great running shoes, and yes, I know you won't be running, but the padding in these types of shoes is really good.  This is the shoe that I wear, and I'm surprised at the cost, since I bought mine some years ago and they weren't that expensive.  The thing with this shoe is that, depending on how much you walk, these shoes should last you at least 10 years or more.  If you tried on these shoes, you would see how comfortable they are....it feels like you are walking on air....and they are also American made.  

Now, if you were planning on doing work in shoes, then these shoes are the wrong shoes for you.  The best work shoes are Red Wings.  Red Wing shoes are the top of the line work shoe/boot, and when you put them on, you will understand why that is so.  When I was still working in construction, most of the construction workers wore Red Wings, because they are so comfortable, and they last a long time. (they are also American made.)  If you plan on wearing work boots/shoes, then go to a Red Wing store and try on their boots/shoes, until you find one that is comfortable for your feet.  I have a pair of Red Wings that I wear when I need to do yard work, or need to clear snow off of my long driveway, and from the day I bought them, they are the most comfortable work boot that I have ever worn.

As a boss once told me many years ago when I was an apprentice, don't spend a lot of money on dress shoes that you might wear once or twice a month, spend the money on work shoes that you'll wear every day.  I listened to his advice, and my feet are glad that I did.

don1942

When my father had an infected toe lasting over a year. He was instructed to soak it twice a day in Epsim Saalts.

Dont know about private insurance, but Medicare covers podiatry care every two months and especially a measurement examination and cost of special custom designed padding and shoes once a year.