Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ShottleBop

Study: Low Cholesterol Associated with Increased Neuropathy

don1942

I guess i should appreciate the benefit of having elevated cholesterol. Otherwise, my neuropathy would be more severe.

TX_Clint

This is a key take-away statement to me "Instead, our findings are in line with results of previous studies15,17,21,29,30 that found that the intake of statins and a decrease of serum cholesterol level are associated with neuropathic symptoms, microvascular damage, and an accelerated deterioration of peripheral nerve fibers." Yet Doctors still try to push statins on T2 diabetics.

dowling gram

This does not surprise me. Cholesterol is a key component of the central nervous system. If you have healthy nerves there is less neuropathy. Cholesterol allows the brain to communicate with the nerves. It also helps with brain development and memory. I have had high cholesterol all my life and have refused to take Statins many times. I have no heart problems and no nerve damage from diabetes. Recently had the alzheimers society test me for dementia.  I will be 79 this year and my brain is as good as it ever was because I got a perfect score.

If you read about Ancel Keys( the person who's research that all this high cholesterol nonsense is based on ) you will find that he did very sloppy research and admitted that he never said high cholesterol caused heart attacks. It was too late. Once the medical community latched on to the theory it was fact according to them and we've been stuck with it ever since