Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Jean52

Metformin ER

Jean52

I have diabetes 2 & have taken different medications for this.  Years ago I was on Metformin and tolerated it for quite a while but then started having severe diarrhea. Recently I was switched to Trulicity, tolerated this for several months & then started having the same problem.  This week my doctor switched me to Metformin ER knowing that I had a problem with the regular Metformin.  I am extremely nervous about taking Metformin ER.  I am retired so a job isn't a concern but I do have several activities that I could not have a reaction like this.  The worst was when I had to take 2 showers to clean up and I absolutely do not want that happening or ANY diarrhea.  What has been your experience with Metformin ER?  I haven't received the prescription as yet but expect it this week. The doctor is trying to find a prescription that will help me to lose weight.

Thank you

Kit

Hi @Jean52, welcome to the group.

I've been on metformin ER for 5 years now.  4 years on 500mg twice a day and the last year 500mg once a day.

I never had much of a reaction to it.  The first week or so I went to the bathroom more often than usual but that was about it and after about that week or so I was back to normal.

I never tried the other type so I don't know if my reaction would be the same and I've heard that higher carb diets with metformin can make the gastric issues a lot worse,.  Plus dropping your carb count way low can also have a very directly affect in lowering BG levels as well, so its worth trying if you aren't already.

I'm currently at around 30g carbs per day.

adiantum

Hi Jean, Welcome to the forum.

Others here have been pleased with ER  & the only diarrhea issues I can recall them mentioning is if theyve eaten excess carbs.

Jean52

Thank you for your comments.  I am working on lowering my carbs and I'm thinking of joining Weight Watchers.  My daughter joined earlier this year and has lost almost 25 pounds.

Jean

Kit

Weight Watchers (at least the last time I looked) still tends to lean towards a heavy carb diet.  I personally eat Keto, have for 5 years, and have never looked back.

A1C went from 10.4 down to upper 5s/low 4s and has stayed there ever since, and that includes lowering my medication during that process.

stevenal

I take 1000 mg twice a day.  Make sure you begin with a low dose and increase gradually.