Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Rad Warrier

Macro nutrients in yogurt

Rad Warrier

Let us say a glass of milk containing x grams of carbs, y grams of protein and z grams of fat gets fully converted to good, tart and thick yogurt.  Will the macro nutrients in this yogurt still remain x, y and z grams or will there be a change?  If there is a change, is it an increase or decrease in carbs?  Increase of decrease in protein?  Increase or decrease in fat?

Regards,

Rad

adiantum

Thats an interesting question Rad.

I've no science to back my idea up but I suspect its all to do  with that being " good,tart & thick" yogurt ., maybe greek?

Thered be no thickeners or flavours  and less whey , so my guess is that the carbs would be less & the protein higher.

Not sure about the fat.

dowling gram

Yogurt contains the same nutrients as whole milk with less milk sugar so lee is right. Less carbs and more protein because dry powdered milk may be added to the yogurt to make it thicker and the cultures eat the milk sugar. The fat remains the same as whole milk.

However the addition of sugar and fruit may increase the carb count. There are good yogurts that don't have added sugar so label reading is called for

MalteseMom

nutrients for homemade yogurt Somebody please tell me… I never did master this new forum.  I have worked on trying to break these totals down for hours. My brain is spinning and I am starving. Seems like I remember reading somewhere on here years ago that there was a way of breaking the stuff down to a specific carb counts. can somebody put me in that direction?

I am trying to figure out the nutrients for homemade yogurt. Here's what I used:

1 14 oz Magnolia sweetened condensed milk 22 gm carbs per 2T serving 

52 oz Fairlife Ultrafilered milk. 6 carbs per 1 Cup serving (8 oz?)

Fage plain Greek yogurt (about) 7grams carbs per serving  

I just took my 4 hour testing and it was up to 137. So I am trying to find out where the hidden carbs are.  All I've had to eat is 4 ounces of my homemade yogurt and  About 2 ounces HWC in morning coffee. 

dowling gram

..Maltese mom

Your sweetened condensed milk is the culprit.

There are 28 tablespoons in 14 oz. @ 22 carbs in 2 tablespoons. 2 tablespoons or half of 28 tablespoons would be14X 22=308 carbs

I know it doesn't sound like that much until you do the math and take note of the servings that the carb count is based on.

Also take note of the serving size of your yogurt and how much you used. It may be a little on the high side too but not nearly as high as the sweetened condensed milk

MalteseMom

I did search the Internet until I found a website that helped me write my own labels. And you are absolutely correct. There were 22 carbs for 2 tablespoons in that sweetened condensed milk and you can add another six carbs times 13 for the Fairlife milk And there were also a few for the starter yogurt that I used even though it was just playing yogurt it was still a dairy product. So needless to say in the future I will be making it without added sugar the difference in the carb numbers is phenomenal.. I wish I were better at numbers it is just not my strong suit and I’m easily confused so thank you again 

MalteseMom

Oh and PS… It was at 118 at 245p and 136 4 hours after. Homemade cheddar hamburger soup that had way too much cheddar and one small can of diced tomatoes, etc. I can see I have some major restructuring to do

MalteseMom
1 hour ago, dowling gram said:

..Maltese mom

Your sweetened condensed milk is the culprit.

There are 28 tablespoons in 14 oz. @ 22 carbs in 2 tablespoons. 2 tablespoons or half of 28 tablespoons would be14X 22=308 carbs

I know it doesn't sound like that much until you do the math and take note of the servings that the carb count is based on.

Also take note of the serving size of your yogurt and how much you used. It may be a little on the high side too but not nearly as high as the sweetened condensed milk

I guess I am still confused because wouldn’t it be 7 servings times 22 carbs. It’s 22 carbs for every two and 14 ounces

meyery2k

Sometimes we have different reactions to carbs.  Oddly, potatoes do not have much of an effect on me.  Neither does sugar in moderation, but rice and bread will spike me and keep me high for a while.

MalteseMom

When I was doing this the first time, I limited myself to 12 carbs a day. My only treat was a sugar-free popsicle at four carbs at night so that left me eight carbs during the day I ate everything high fat and was never hungry. Many of my cholesterol numbers came down right away others took a couple years but for the most part I was happy with my results. I also did not eat in restaurants very often and I controlled everything that went into my mouth because I was still cooking for a husband. I would make him my usual stuff and then I would encircle my dinner plate with all kinds of high fat things at that time in my life I was eating to live Not Leaving to eat. Now I’m struggling with comforting myself with food it’s one of those emotional things again I guess

meyery2k

I am not sure if this will help but here goes.  I have been able to adopt new comfort foods.  Potatoes, bread, stuffing, pasta used to be my go to foods.  Now, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, and nuts have largely replaced those foods.  I just finished a fine lunch of a pork rib.  I fried up some daikon (Chinese radish), zucchini, mushrooms, and jalapeno pepper in some of the oil.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.  Threw in some mixed nuts.  Mixed in some sour cream and a little ketchup.  

Kit

Actually this discussion made me think something.  Why are certain foods considered comfort foods?  I ask this because 90% of the time at minimum people list the exact same foods.  Like Mike listed above, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice,and sweets are almost always at the top of the list.

Funny, I did a Google search, and everything I brought up says its usually high calorie/high fat foods.  Yet I'd say most of what people tell me its starches and sugars.  How many people would say pork belly or butter are comfort foods?  How about completely unsweetened whipped cream?

Ok, I got a little diverted there.  Back on track.

I know it can be easier said than done, but a change in outlook may be necessary.  Think about getting back on track as you pampering yourself, doing things for you and you alone, not having to give in or make exceptions for anyone.  I'd also recommend trying to get out, even if its for sort periods of time.  Just a walk down the street and back can make a big difference.  Go to the park and take a stroll if possible.

I have the plus side that I like in a large metro area.  One thing I used to do was go to the local zoo (Woodland Park) and spend the day there by myself just taking my time.  I'd end up having conversations with the zoo employees, keepers, and like.  One day the official zoo photographer spent almost an hour talking to me about the animals.  The people you find at a zoo on a week day morning in October are usually pretty interesting.  It was so much fun.

It is possible to change your comfort foods.  I had a simple vegetable soup (chicken broth, mushrooms, peppers, bok choy) and a grilled ham and swiss sandwich.  The bread is a batter you cook like a pancake, but you build the sandwich as you are cooking the bread.  Ooey gooey, warm and comforting.  At least it was to me.  :)

Kit
34 minutes ago, Kit said:

Actually this discussion made me think something.  Why are certain foods considered comfort foods?  I ask this because 90% of the time at minimum people list the exact same foods.  Like Mike listed above, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice,and sweets are almost always at the top of the list.

Funny, I did a Google search, and everything I brought up says its usually high calorie/high fat foods.  Yet I'd say most of what people tell me its starches and sugars.  How many people would say pork belly or butter are comfort foods?  How about completely unsweetened whipped cream?

And all I needed was to search just a little longer.

Found this fascinating article on Mark's Daily Apple in regards to comfort foods.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-we-crave-comfort-foods/

Its quite interesting and well worth the read and it gives a lot of suggestions on how to change things.  Some of it stuff I've not seen suggested before.

meyery2k

This has taken an interesting turn.  Perhaps the high carbohydrate comfort foods have come about due to the atrocious food pyramids that have come about.  I remember meals at my Grandmother's house and they always would focus on protein with small portions of those comfort foods (at least at her house).

I now go to the store and get all excited at a roast being on sale and daydreaming about how I will prepare it.  Complete mental shift lol...

MalteseMom
1 hour ago, Kit said:

And all I needed was to search just a little longer.

Found this fascinating article on Mark's Daily Apple in regards to comfort foods.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-we-crave-comfort-foods/

Its quite interesting and well worth the read and it gives a lot of suggestions on how to change things.  Some of it stuff I've not seen suggested before.

It was indeed a very interesting article and makes perfect sense to me

MalteseMom
1 hour ago, meyery2k said:

This has taken an interesting turn.  Perhaps the high carbohydrate comfort foods have come about due to the atrocious food pyramids that have come about.  I remember meals at my Grandmother's house and they always would focus on protein with small portions of those comfort foods (at least at her house).

I now go to the store and get all excited at a roast being on sale and daydreaming about how I will prepare it.  Complete mental shift lol...

I was raised in West Virginia and we lived on I would say 85% carbohydrates. We ate chicken along with big fat dumplings, Lots of pasta potatoes. So I’m just gonna take the highroad and say I’m living up to my roots. Ha Ha

MalteseMom
3 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I am not sure if this will help but here goes.  I have been able to adopt new comfort foods.  Potatoes, bread, stuffing, pasta used to be my go to foods.  Now, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, and nuts have largely replaced those foods.  I just finished a fine lunch of a pork rib.  I fried up some daikon (Chinese radish), zucchini, mushrooms, and jalapeno pepper in some of the oil.  Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.  Threw in some mixed nuts.  Mixed in some sour cream and a little ketchup.  

I love those veggies  but I also love corn and sugar snap peas and carrots and cabbage and I love putting them all in the soup especially the cabbage 

dowling gram
5 hours ago, MalteseMom said:

I guess I am still confused because wouldn’t it be 7 servings times 22 carbs. It’s 22 carbs for every two and 14 ounces

No--your math is wrong

I'll put it another way--1 ounce =2 tablespoons or 1 serving-- 14 ounces or 14 servings x 22 carbs=308 carbs

Even if you were right and it were half that 154 carbs is still way too much.

Edited by dowling gram

MalteseMom
20 hours ago, dowling gram said:

No--your math is wrong

I'll put it another way--1 ounce =2 tablespoons or 1 serving-- 14 ounces or 14 servings x 22 carbs=308 carbs

Even if you were right and it were half that 154 carbs is still way too much.

That makes sense now. I told your math is not my strong suit. Believe it or not I was a straight a student in school but I really struggled with math and now that I’m older and the memory is getting fuzzy it has come back to bite me in the butt especially for these important matters. And you’re absolutely correct either way the sugars got to go. I did well today. Fasting glucose this morning was 127. Had labs today and did grocery shopping. Still had not eaten. By the time I got home and put the stuff in the refrigerator it was about 1230. So I took my test before I married me something to eat and it was 130.  Made some salmon and fried cabbage lots of bacon grease and used clarify butter over top of the salmon. I don’t know if I’ve started blue flu or not but I definitely had diarrhea probably from all the fat. But I have not been hungry that’s a good thing. Thank you so much for your help and encouragement

Nelson88

As a matter of fact this exchange made me think something. For what reason are sure nourishments considered solace food sources? I solicit this in light of the fact that 90% from the time at least individuals list precisely the same nourishments. Like Mike recorded above, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice,and desserts are quite often at the highest priority on the rundown.

MalteseMom
1 hour ago, Nelson88 said:

As a matter of fact this exchange made me think something. For what reason are sure nourishments considered solace food sources? I solicit this in light of the fact that 90% from the time at least individuals list precisely the same nourishments. Like Mike recorded above, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice,and desserts are quite often at the highest priority on the rundown.

For me, comfort foods are definitely carbohydrates because that’s what I grew up eating in West Virginia. It’s how I was programmed to eat, but I do not eat the same foods almost every meal. I do have a go-to’s for breakfast.  This morning I had to hard-boiled eggs and was still starving and I realize I needed to add more fat so I fried five pieces of bacon and then I sautéed about a half a cup of cauliflower and the bacon grease and just for good measure added about a quarter tablespoon of clarified butter for 366 calories With three net carbs. For me, it’s a must to keep hunger at bay.

MalteseMom

Just checking in for an update status. My A-1 C is still great...5.5... so hopefully that means I caught my problem in time. Yesterday I had too many carbs… 36 net carbs… Because I did not measure things properly. I did not snack late and I woke up to fasting glucose at 130. For breakfast I increased fat and therefore calories to 366 cal and only three net carbs. My two hour test was at 126.  So my adjustment today is to eat a little bite of low or no carb to keep my body working instead of trying to go hours in between because I’m just not hungry. And I will patiently wait for my body to catch up with the changes. And once again thank all of you for your help and encouragement