Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Rad Warrier

Macro nutrients in yogurt

Rad Warrier

Let us say a glass of milk containing x grams of carbs, y grams of protein and z grams of fat gets fully converted to good, tart and thick yogurt.  Will the macro nutrients in this yogurt still remain x, y and z grams or will there be a change?  If there is a change, is it an increase or decrease in carbs?  Increase of decrease in protein?  Increase or decrease in fat?

Regards,

Rad

adiantum

Thats an interesting question Rad.

I've no science to back my idea up but I suspect its all to do  with that being " good,tart & thick" yogurt ., maybe greek?

Thered be no thickeners or flavours  and less whey , so my guess is that the carbs would be less & the protein higher.

Not sure about the fat.

dowling gram

Yogurt contains the same nutrients as whole milk with less milk sugar so lee is right. Less carbs and more protein because dry powdered milk may be added to the yogurt to make it thicker and the cultures eat the milk sugar. The fat remains the same as whole milk.

However the addition of sugar and fruit may increase the carb count. There are good yogurts that don't have added sugar so label reading is called for