Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

buddy7

Is our supermarket bottle water is really ordinary tap water?

buddy7

Over the years it’s almost become a ritual of mine to have a monthly top-up of bottled water. Last Monday stopped off at my local bulk buying superstore Costco and picked up my monthly supply, 4 packs x 40 in a pack = 160 bottles of bottled water.

So much is being said in our National tabloids about bottled water, are we being conned by the supermarket chains who are denying they are not misleading customers of selling simple tap water and accruing massive yearly profits.

Our National tabloids also said 30pc of supermarket bottled water is from a tap. Now I’m a little confused. Is this another capitalist yarn our supermarket chains are pulling on us?

My packs of water clearly state, spring water, but is it?

Kit

Almost all of the bottled water out there is filtered tap water regardless of what they say otherwise.

You're better off just drinking your own tap water, or filtering it if the quality sucks.

Plus, why buy all that plastic?

Edited by Kit

meyery2k

My water bottles for cycling would horrify most people lol...  They pick up dirt and grime from the road.  Wipe them down and drink.  If you get thirsty enough any water is good water lol...

OneEye

Supermarkets sell all types of water. Purified water; Distilled water; Electrolyte water; Spring water. It's on the bottle you choose. About 55 percent of bottled water in the United States IS spring water, including Crystal Geyser and Arrowhead. The other 45 percent comes from the municipal water supply, meaning that companies, including Aquafina and Dasani, simply treat tap water—the same stuff that comes out of your faucet at home—and bottle it up.

Are Aquafina and Dasani trying to fool you into thinking that their water is "spring water"? No, they're not. It's on the bottle. Even if it's purified spring water it has to say that on the bottle.

1 hour ago, Kit said:

Almost all of the bottled water out there is filtered tap water regardless of what they say otherwise.

Regardless of what they say? That would be false advertising and make them susceptible to a suit and being closed down. Truth in Advertising Act of 2016. I highly doubt any water supplier is going to consider being caught trying to pass off tap water as spring water. The actual increase in their profit margin verses being fined and shut down would be laughable.

You wanna check to see if your bottled "spring" water is actually purified tap water? Go to the office of the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) of where the bottled water plant is located and ask to see the bottling plant's water bill.

don1942

A number of years ago, my brother was a battled water delivery driver in a small rural town. One day he parked his truck on a hill but didn’t set the parking brake securely so the truck rolled down the hill and crashed into a car wash. This encouraged the locals to claim that they now New the origin of the bottled water.

Hammer

I guess the water that comes out of my faucet is spring water, since I have a well that is fed from an underground spring.  Even so, I don't drink my tap water, and I don't use it for cooking.  I only drink bottled water and use bottled water for those rare times when I make soup.  The reason I don't drink my tap water is because it contains toxic waste from a landfill a few miles up the road.  That landfill is now closed, since his toxic waste contaminated the underground spring, and the underground spring also crossed into a neighboring state, thereby contaminating that state's wells.  Once that happened, the EPA was called in and they shut his landfill down.(my state government wouldn't do anything about it.)

dowling gram

Spring water is not much different than tap water. In fact it may be worse in some cases. It depends on the TDS(totally dissolved solids ) in the water. The FDA says 25% of all water sold is tap water either treated or untreated. The best way to get pure water is to filter it yourself either with a whole house water purifier or with a zero water filter. That is if you have safe water. If you are like hammer you'd be better of with any water but your tap water. You may be able to find out your TDS rating of your water by calling your town hall.

Our town water comes from wells and it's good water. The water table is only 15-20 feet below us. I still filter my drinking water

buddy7
19 hours ago, Kit said:

You're better off just drinking your own tap water, or filtering it if the quality sucks.

Plus, why buy all that plastic?

We all as paying consumers like to think we’re getting what we pay for, on the bottled water/tap water, for some time now, I tried to avoid one of our supermarket chains, Asda/Walmart, for some time now they came under scrutiny by the tabloids, how can they sell their water at a profitable margin. Smart price Still Water at 17p for two litres or 88p for a pack of six 330ml bottles. The prices look cheap compared with the 88p for a two-litre bottle of Evian Mineral Water, 69p for Highland Spring, or £1 for a 750ml bottle of Perrier. All well-known brands. Surely we’re being ripped off.

“Plus, why buy all that plastic”?

I suppose I should’ve known better being a PPC campaigner, and currently running a thread on ‘plastic pollution’: Many see bottled water as a planet-destroying indulgence, generating mountains of plastic waste and burning needless oil in transport. And yes, of the 18 billion bottles bought each year in the UK only a quarter are recycled, meaning the rest will lie in a landfill site somewhere for the anticipated 450 years it will take them to decompose.

buddy7
16 hours ago, don1942 said:

A number of years ago, my brother was a battled water delivery driver in a small rural town. One day he parked his truck on a hill but didn’t set the parking brake securely so the truck rolled down the hill and crashed into a car wash. This encouraged the locals to claim that they now New the origin of the bottled water.

The situation could be worse, leaving his hand-brake off, fancy that.

buddy7
17 hours ago, Hammer said:

I guess the water that comes out of my faucet is spring water, since I have a well that is fed from an underground spring.  Even so, I don't drink my tap water, and I don't use it for cooking.  I only drink bottled water and use bottled water for those rare times when I make soup.  The reason I don't drink my tap water is because it contains toxic waste from a landfill a few miles up the road.  That landfill is now closed, since his toxic waste contaminated the underground spring, and the underground spring also crossed into a neighboring state, thereby contaminating that state's wells.  Once that happened, the EPA was called in and they shut his landfill down.(my state government wouldn't do anything about it.)

My water providers Essex & Suffolk water company, to make sure their water is safe for consumption some time ago they did a random check on my kitchen tap water, came in with all his gear including a transparent sample test glass, open the tap caught a full glass of tap water, be known to him, as he and I look through the test glass, they were a young tadpole paddling around in the test glass, (with egg all over his face), ask the question what on earth is that? I made a point, it’s a tadpole, and he still carried on with his various tests.

Look, nothing against tadpoles, frogs or other crawling insets, just not in my drinking water. This kind of put me off for several weeks drinking tap water. So the next best thing to buy in bottled water, which I’ve done from that time.

With all the gadgetry/computer these tests can now be done online.

With 2 main water reservoirs in Essex with a population of 1.5 million, I’m not surprised we have the occasional tadpole/amphibian getting into the waterworks. I’m sure raw water is treated through several different processes to make sure it is safe for consumption. To demonstrate that the water supply coming into your home is safe, they take thousands of samples for testing. These samples are taken both from taps in customers’ homes and directly from our underground water mains. Over 100,000 scientific tests are taken each year to ensure that drinking water quality standards are met.

buddy7
16 hours ago, dowling gram said:

Spring water is not much different than tap water. In fact it may be worse in some cases. It depends on the TDS(totally dissolved solids ) in the water. The FDA says 25% of all water sold is tap water either treated or untreated. The best way to get pure water is to filter it yourself either with a whole house water purifier or with a zero water filter. That is if you have safe water. If you are like hammer you'd be better of with any water but your tap water. You may be able to find out your TDS rating of your water by calling your town hall.

Our town water comes from wells and it's good water. The water table is only 15-20 feet below us. I still filter my drinking water

“is to filter it yourself either with a whole house water purifier or with a zero water filter”

Unfortunately, I haven’t got one of these, but have known people who have, and some of their approval ratings seem very good. It might be a good idea to speak to my water providers, to invest in one of these.

I just get a bit yanked off seeing all the different brands of bottled water in our supermarkets, does the higher prices, give you better quality?

buddy7
20 hours ago, OneEye said:

Supermarkets sell all types of water. Purified water; Distilled water; Electrolyte water; Spring water. It's on the bottle you choose. About 55 percent of bottled water in the United States IS spring water, including Crystal Geyser and Arrowhead. The other 45 percent comes from the municipal water supply, meaning that companies, including Aquafina and Dasani, simply treat tap water—the same stuff that comes out of your faucet at home—and bottle it up.

Are Aquafina and Dasani trying to fool you into thinking that their water is "spring water"? No, they're not. It's on the bottle. Even if it's purified spring water it has to say that on the bottle.

Regardless of what they say? That would be false advertising and make them susceptible to a suit and being closed down. Truth in Advertising Act of 2016. I highly doubt any water supplier is going to consider being caught trying to pass off tap water as spring water. The actual increase in their profit margin verses being fined and shut down would be laughable.

You wanna check to see if your bottled "spring" water is actually purified tap water? Go to the office of the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) of where the bottled water plant is located and ask to see the bottling plant's water bill.

What peeved me off OneEye why pay so much for those selected brands and the plastic to go with it? when in you and others opinion, where there’s nothing wrong with 45pc of my tap water, to begin with. (I could live with the occasional tadpole).

Kit
4 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Look, nothing against tadpoles, frogs or other crawling insets, just not in my drinking water. This kind of put me off for several weeks drinking tap water. So the next best thing to buy in bottled water, which I’ve done from that time.

You really think fish, tadpoles and other aquatic animals don't live in pure spring water out in the wilds?

I'm sure none of them bother to get out of the water before doing their business.

OneEye
3 hours ago, buddy7 said:

What peeved me off OneEye why pay so much for those selected brands and the plastic to go with it? when in you and others opinion, where there’s nothing wrong with 45pc of my tap water, to begin with. (I could live with the occasional tadpole).

I use tap water to boil with, to make coffee with and to add to soup or stew I'm making. I do keep a few bottles of spring water in the refrigerator for when I want a cold drink of water or to take outside with me. I don't much care for the strong chlorine smell and taste that comes from the tap water. Do I feel bad that my drinking water comes in plastic bottles and that I'm probably 0.000000000000002% of the plastic problem ? No, it has to come in something. Do I feel bad that there is a "plastic" problem? Absolutely! Then again, with a world population of over 7.7 billion people that multiply like rabbits...problems will increase exponentially. 

They're spending billions on figuring out how to move mankind off the earth and onto another planet. Billions! In what, 500 years from now? 500 years from now the planet may have over 50 billion people. Riddle me this...who gets to go? How ya' gonna move 50 billion people somewhere else? And how are you going to maintain that?

For instance: Take replacing a simple nut and bolt. You have to mine the ore with something. Convert that ore to a metal. Shape the nut and bolt with machinery,  make the tools to tighten the nut and bolt. Where's all that coming from? It's a pipe dream, in my opinion. Money that could be spent trying to fix the earth. You remember the "earth", right? The one with the water, the air, the right temperature, the ability to grow food, a self-sustaining ecosystem.

Sorry...some things I'm passionate about, myself. What was the question again? :hmmmm:

buddy7
18 hours ago, Kit said:

You really think fish, tadpoles and other aquatic animals don't live in pure spring water out in the wilds?

I'm sure none of them bother to get out of the water before doing their business.

It would appear Kit, I’ve lost the debate, and I can no longer support the tadpole theory. So, ok I have to agree with your analysis.

Probably, humans, the intelligent species would consider getting out the water before doing their business.

You’ve got me here, your point is taken.

buddy7

19 hours ago, OneEye said:

They're spending billions on figuring out how to move mankind off the earth and onto another planet. Billions! In what, 500 years from now? 500 years from now the planet may have over 50 billion people. Riddle me this...who gets to go? How ya' gonna move 50 billion people somewhere else? And how are you going to maintain that?

For instance: Take replacing a simple nut and bolt. You have to mine the ore with something. Convert that ore to a metal. Shape the nut and bolt with machinery,  make the tools to tighten the nut and bolt. Where's all that coming from? It's a pipe dream, in my opinion. Money that could be spent trying to fix the earth. You remember the "earth", right? The one with the water, the air, the right temperature, the ability to grow food, a self-sustaining ecosystem.

Sorry...some things I'm passionate about, myself. What was the question again? :hmmmm:

Forgetting the topic for one moment, I solely can relate to your explicit, realistic analysis, the problem with us, we have aged, an as we’re reading from the same page, not only do I share your view completely, but I also have this burning passion to right the world, of some of its adversities, as you so explain above. But to be realistic that’s not going to happen, but nothing is wrong with having a wish.

Some of the things that get my goat: Pakistan aims to send the first astronaut into space by 2022, what about the 82.6 million people dying of hunger every passing day, feed your hungry people first: As a serviceman yourself, the current civil war in Syria, estimates of deaths in the Syrian Civil War, per opposition activist groups, vary between 371,222 and more than 570,000 how can the world tolerate that suffering and turn a blind-eye: Look immigration has always been a problem throughout the world, how can your man, during the current Mexican crossing, ‘The Donald’, separate and cage those children away from their parents: The Second Sudanese Civil War was a conflict from 1983 to 2005  First Sudanese Civil War of 1955 to 1972. Roughly two million people died as a result of war, famine and disease caused by the conflict, I rest my case, these are just a few that came to mind, but of course, we dare not get too political, yet, the world won’t give a s**t on giving the monetary resources to help this reoccurring Ebola epidemic which once again will cost many lives and suffering.

Every so often we get involved in some rather off-topic rhetoric, but like our opposite species, do I feel seduced?

As I often say back to the topic.

buddy7

On 7/31/2019 at 7:20 PM, OneEye said:

A few steps back: Probably a hypothetical or flippant statement, can you imagine, just walk off the street and ask the PUC just to see their water bill, not only would I be laughed at. But how long do you think, I would last before I'm ushered through the door. (My water clearly states spring water)

Look I have more faith in you guys, than any government department.

OneEye

Not a hypothetical nor flippant statement. California Senate Bill 448, in 1997, made public utility data private to prevent stalkers from obtaining information about public utility customers. Because of the California drought years later and water rationing...anyone suspected of using more than their rationing can be looked at, but only that specific data. All other data remains private. In other words...a commercial business that files for water usage as in a spring water bottling plant has an expected usage for drinking water, toilet usage, washing trucks, etc. Filing plastic bottles with purified water would be a violation of that rationing.

Gladtobehere

I don't understand why bottled water from anywhere is more trusted than any other food source that comes in a package.

Packaging = BIG FOOD = profit comes FIRST = marketing = NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR HEALTH!

Stop talking about the name on the bottle check google to see the name of the parent company.   Aquafina = PepsiCo.  

Does that knowledge influence your opinion?

You can blame officials or start thinking for yourself.   In general the KISS method provides the best result at the least cost.

Tap water plus a filter that makes your water taste better. = THOUSANDS less plastic bottles being used.

JUST REMEMBER that the filter also comes in a package that says it works!     WHEN DID YOU EVER ENCOUNTER A PRODUCT LABEL THAT SAID THE PRODUCT IS USELESS?

buddy7
On 8/5/2019 at 11:20 AM, Gladtobehere said:

I don't understand why bottled water from anywhere is more trusted than any other food source that comes in a package.

Packaging = BIG FOOD = profit comes FIRST = marketing = NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR HEALTH!

Stop talking about the name on the bottle check google to see the name of the parent company.   Aquafina = PepsiCo.  

Does that knowledge influence your opinion?

You can blame officials or start thinking for yourself.   In general the KISS method provides the best result at the least cost.

Tap water plus a filter that makes your water taste better. = THOUSANDS less plastic bottles being used.

JUST REMEMBER that the filter also comes in a package that says it works!     WHEN DID YOU EVER ENCOUNTER A PRODUCT LABEL THAT SAID THE PRODUCT IS USELESS?

I’m finding it extremely difficult to comprehend your rhetoric to respond to your post. Would you be so kind as to paraphrase your comprehension with some clarity, to able me to respond, sorry no offence taken?

OneEye
5 hours ago, buddy7 said:

I’m finding it extremely difficult to comprehend your rhetoric to respond to your post. Would you be so kind as to paraphrase your comprehension with some clarity, to able me to respond, sorry no offence taken?

I find your command of the language amusing; no disrespect meant. I probably would have just quoted them and then said, "Huh?" <_<

Gladtobehere

Boy that is a tough request to respond to.     I realize I tend to reply in a very terse manner. And use equal signs to relate some ideas. But I didn't think I was that difficult to understand. 

I will attempt to restate some of my points but very likely in a different order.

1 Bottled water is NO BETTER than your tap water assuming your tap water is properly treated.

2 Bottled water comes in plastic bottles which simply adds to the amount of single use plastic stuff we throw away.

3 The plastic bottles have labels that are soley created by a MARKETING group and intended to entice you to buy the bottled water.  The same is true for all packaged products in the grocery store. The point is that MARKETING ALWAYS SAYS A PRODUCT IS GOOD!

4 The parent companys for two products named in the thread are PEPSI and COKE.  The famous soft drink producers.   Knowing this does not inspire any belief on my part in the purity or health benefits of their product.

Albeit their water is probably a healthier choice than their other soft drink products.

5 I mentioned Filters that some of us use to filter our water.    The same Marketing theory applies.  The words are there to entice you to buy the product. Not to prove it is a better product.

There are times when bottled water is useful because it is convenient and travels well.  But there is little reason to use it at home unless you have a GOOD reason.   Like "my water tastes or looks bad".

Please let me know if these comments make my view any clearer. Or NOT.

And please let me know why you use bottled water.  You start by mentioning "ritual".

buddy7

Boy that is a tough request to respond to.     I realize I tend to reply in a very terse manner. And use equal signs to relate some ideas. But I didn't think I was that difficult to understand. 

I will attempt to restate some of my points but very likely in a different order.

1 Bottled water is NO BETTER than your tap water assuming your tap water is properly treated.

The contents and treatment of my tap water, solely have all to do with my water provider, Essex & Suffolk Water Company. UK

2 Bottled water comes in plastic bottles which simply adds to the amount of single use plastic stuff we throw away.

Now, I can relate to that. Single-use plastic today is grossly destroying our planet Earth. Do go to my thread “Plastic Pollution”.

3 The plastic bottles have labels that are soley created by a MARKETING group and intended to entice you to buy the bottled water.  The same is true for all packaged products in the grocery store. The point is that MARKETING ALWAYS SAYS A PRODUCT IS GOOD!

Yes, people today seem to go for up-marketing labels, irrespective of cost, sometimes how wrong. We are. A good mark-up sells the products, If you’re about to sell anything, never say it’s s**t.

4 The parent companys for two products named in the thread are PEPSI and COKE.  The famous soft drink producers.   Knowing this does not inspire any belief on my part in the purity or health benefits of their product.

When you get company’s like Pepsi/Coca-kola who spends over $2.5 billion per year, just by name, they expect a good return, regardless of the quality of the products. Unfortunately and metaphorically that’s the swings and roundabouts of most industry.

“Albeit their water is probably a healthier choice than their other soft drink products”.

I won’t go as far as to say that: A Global study finds one-third of children do not eat fruit daily or drink ordinary tap water. More than four in 10 children drink sugary drinks daily, yet 44% consumes soft drinks every day. All children where ever the country have diabolical diets.

5 I mentioned Filters that some of us use to filter our water.    The same Marketing theory applies.  The words are there to entice you to buy the product. Not to prove it is a better product.

I cannot support your theory, why? I haven’t got a water filter. But what I can say, advertising and marketing, do have an attributing and compelling impact on consumers on a whole.

“There are times when bottled water is useful because it is convenient and travels well.  But there is little reason to use it at home unless you have a GOOD reason.   Like "my water tastes or looks bad".

And to be frank with you, most Doctors today spends half their surgery time, advising you to drink more of the stuff. (Water).

“Please let me know if these comments make my view any clearer. Or NOT”

I’m more than elated, with your comments.

“And please let me know why you use bottled water.  You start by mentioning "ritual".

Let’s pick you up on the latter: The word “ritual” happens to be one of my clichés, often used when I’m grossly annoyed with something, have some connotations with religion, (and frankly I’m not a godly man).

Some time ago, a water inspector came to my home, his job was to collect a water specimen from my kitchen taps, and as he caught a full glass of water from my kitchen tap, he and I noted they were a tadpole swimming around in the specimen glass of water. Egg on his face, he didn’t seem phased, whatsoever of the outcome. Tap water, kind-of put me off from that time. Hence why I made it a monthly ritual to buy in bottled water each month. Most of the time, I just can’t stand creepy crawlies, and to have them in my tap water, just disgust me.

Gladtobehere

A TADPOLE in your tap water is a good reason for using bottled water.  It implies that your local water treatment facility has a fairly serious  problem.

Are you sure the inspector was really employed by the local water provider?  Or is it possible he worked for the local BOTTLED WATER  company?

I ask because we get people at the door claiming that the government regulations state that my water heater MUST  be upgraded and they can check by looking at my last bill!  THEY ARE LIARS AND SCAMMERS!

NEVER let anyone in your house unless they have been properly introduced by correspondence from the utility.   NOT A PHONE CALL!

buddy7
1 hour ago, Gladtobehere said:

A TADPOLE in your tap water is a good reason for using bottled water.  It implies that your local water treatment facility has a fairly serious  problem.

Are you sure the inspector was really employed by the local water provider?  Or is it possible he worked for the local BOTTLED WATER  company?

I ask because we get people at the door claiming that the government regulations state that my water heater MUST  be upgraded and they can check by looking at my last bill!  THEY ARE LIARS AND SCAMMERS!

NEVER let anyone in your house unless they have been properly introduced by correspondence from the utility.   NOT A PHONE CALL!

And I can’t agree with you more: Most definitely a serious problem, a company that size, with 2 very large reservoirs, and supplies water to an Essex population of 1.5 million people. Our water is monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to ensure that the water is safe to use. And I’m sure they do all possible to avoid, a water infestation, may it be tadpoles or any creepy crawlies, out there in the wild. A lawsuit, of which they dear, would financially and frustratingly will be, too monetary exhausted for any water company to handle. God forbid, something like this happens, the law courts won’t be lenient, and they’ll have a field day.

I can assure you he was genuine, he had the ID badge, testing kit, and all the paraphernalia to go with the job, of which I inspected before given him access in the house. How far do I go? But having said that, they are 100s maybe thousands of scammers out there, and my area Essex UK is no exception. There are times, with the cell phone technology, in the past, I would be inclined to make that ID call to the company they said, there do represent, Just to make sure you are letting the right guy into the house. I was 99% sure this guy was a genuine water board inspector, from my water provider.

I know where you’re coming from, Essex UK is no exception, we have door-step scammers, cheats, liars and the rest, who would do anything to gain access to your home. Thanks anyway, but I’m truly aware of the problem you just have to be vigilant at all times, never let your guard down.

Thanks for having a chat, appreciated.

Edited by buddy7
Word!