Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

OneEye

Since when did deep-fried chicken taste like pig butt?

OneEye

My favorite go-to each month for 5 days straight; party chicken wings coated in Dixie Fry and deep-fried in peanut oil, then dipped in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. M'm! M'm! M'm! That was then...this is now!

Lately, I've developed this "taste thing" since my quintuple coronary-bypass last December. It's not like I've lost the taste of everything I usually eat...but it all tastes different. I mean...it took me decades of dialing in how to prepare the foods I like...now it's like I have a new wife cooking for me. No disrespect to the "wives" here.

I've taken everything I usually eat out for a test drive. Nothing tastes the same. It doesn't taste "better", it doesn't taste "worse"...it tastes "different"! It all tastes like something I wouldn't try again.

When you get to my age (76)...there aren't that many things left you still get to enjoy. As an Atheist I feel a little hypocritical about saying this, but...thank God my Jack Daniel's and an occasional Cuban cigar still taste the same!

This happen...or happening to anyone else? *Insert whiny emoji here*

adiantum

I've not had anything like your Decembers adventure, but since the D dx & compulsory change of diet, Ive noticed the change of tastes.

Home grown bananas still taste the same which is a pity as theyre packed in carbs, but taste sooo good.

I too say thank god... even though I know she doesnt exist. 

dowling gram

OneEye--A change in the way food tastes is a common complaint after bypass surgery according to what I read. It may be the result of the diet before surgery or as a result of the surgery but researchers found that the ability to detect sweet, sour, and salty or spicy was enhanced rather than decreased so maybe cutting back on the items that give those flavors might improve the taste of your food

buddy7

I’m not going to say too much about the pig, because I do love pork that much. Two things that grab my mind, one, does this have something to do with your current medication? Or is this an age thing?

OneEye
4 hours ago, buddy7 said:

I’m not going to say too much about the pig, because I do love pork that much. Two things that grab my mind, one, does this have something to do with your current medication? Or is this an age thing?

Other than a multivitamin and an 81mg aspirin with breakfast...I don't take any medications.

Is it an age thing? Quite possible...but it came on rather suddenly. Bacon, this morning, didn't taste like bacon...it just tasted salty. Since I eat less now...I'm also losing weight. Well...there's a plus! <_<

dowling gram

Like I said flavors like salt are enhanced. Try salt reduced bacon and you'll probably get the bacon taste you want. It will be better for your blood pressure and heart anyway. I think you might have to change the food you buy to less salt,less sweet sour or spicy to get back the taste you want

OneEye
22 minutes ago, dowling gram said:

Like I said flavors like salt are enhanced. Try salt reduced bacon and you'll probably get the bacon taste you want. It will be better for your blood pressure and heart anyway. I think you might have to change the food you buy to less salt, less sweet sour or spicy to get back the taste you want

Thanks, good idea. Raley's doesn't sell the Farmer John "less sodium" bacon...but, they do sell the Raley's less sodium. I'll put that on my list for next time.

Edited by OneEye
Edited for speling

buddy7
On 8/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, OneEye said:

Other than a multivitamin and an 81mg aspirin with breakfast...I don't take any medications.

Is it an age thing? Quite possible...but it came on rather suddenly. Bacon, this morning, didn't taste like bacon...it just tasted salty. Since I eat less now...I'm also losing weight. Well...there's a plus! <_<

Humm! Quintuple coronary-bypass last December? I don't take any medications. Other than a multivitamin and an 81mg aspirin.

Begs the question: How many cylinders are you firing on? Do forgive my ignorance, so the body naturally heals itself, surely this is not the odd cut finger???

OneEye
4 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Do forgive my ignorance, so the body naturally heals itself, surely this is not the odd cut finger???

No, it's not the "odd cut finger"...it's simply a plumbing upgrade. They pull some pipe out of your legs, graft that onto your heart...voilà, blood flow to the heart back to square one. No idea how long that'll be before it clogs up, took me 75 years, this time...but, I've still got plenty pipe left to donate!

When I left the hospital for rehab I had 6 different doctors prescribing 8 different medications, plus a basal and a bolus insulin. I mean, at rehab I had a queue at my door all day long of people wanting to test this, gimme that, wheel me here, wheel me there. One nurse almost killed me due to her not "thinking" like a nurse and too wrapped up in her own problems at home. One medication created an ulcer in my nasal cavity and that combined with blood thinners I almost bled to death before I got the bleeding stopped.

I'm not lookin' to live forever. To be honest...this longevity thing's a bit overrated, in my opinion. I don't seem to find that much humor in bein' an old man. My idea of "assisted living" is walking to my mailbox with a cane crook hung over my forearm, just in case. Other than that...you're gonna have to take me kickin' and screaming! <_<

buddy7

So sorry to hear of the extraordinary and challenging journey you have encountered, but I’m pleased to see your illness hasn’t deterred your flair or distinctive sense of humour. A brilliant recovery from December, your continued posts abounds the presents of longevity.

Good health.