Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
popmonstrrr

Anyone diagnosed when they were a teen?

popmonstrrr

Hello, I come from a large family with most of us being Diabetic while in our youth. I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the age of 16. I am now 45 years old, on oral meds this entire time, and lucky to not have any complications. When pregnant with my 2 kids, I did have to switch over to insulin only but went back to pills after they were born. My A1c's are not stellar, but they are always between 6.6-7.2, with the exception of pregnancy where I was in the lower to mid-5. I attribute that lower number more to strict carb counting than the insulin usage. For a while, I kept having bouts of lows and highs. I was pretty sure that insulin was the next step. Instead I split my doses of Metformin & glipizide to 4 times a day rather than twice a day. It did the trick. 

I worry about being on meds so long. Next year will be my 30th year using meds to treat T2D and that can't be good for the body. When I meet a new Doctor, they always remind me that most people get put on insulin 5 or 10 years in. They are hesitant to do that since my pancreas still works. Not that I want to go on insulin, I just worry about the impact this has on my liver/kidney's.