Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Buckeyejim

New member introduction

Buckeyejim

Hello - I just signed up for this forum.  I am a Type 2 since 1984.  I am 73 years young and have a number of health issues mainly low vision but not due to diabetes.  Histoplasmosis caused my macular scarring and many subretinal neovascular membranes which at that time were treated with laser photocoagulation left me with blind spots in both eyes.  

I have been an insulin user for nearly nine years - first with a single daily Lantus injection, but after my primary care physician could not get my A1c below 8+, he referred me to the Bull Family Diabetes Center in Dayton, OH.  Since under the care of that physician, I have added premeal Novolog,  and my A1C has been consistently under 6.9.  

I joined this forum to find out what the experiences others with this condition are having.

Have a great day and Go Bucks!

adiantum

Congrats in getting your A1c down and I hope life becomes easier on you.

Theres T2 members here that have great success with insulin and two that I recall have had vision issues.

I hope they will be able to share experiences with  you while you can inspire others to persist in finding the right treatment.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you become a regular poster.

~Lee

meyery2k

Welcome!  Look around and jump into any topics that catch your interest.  Hopefully, you will join us on a regular basis. ~ Mike

Diabetesll

Hello.  I just joined because I want to live a better life than I have been.  My doctor says I am pre-diabetic, but he wants me to do what diabetes ll people do.  I want to learn what not to do.  I tried to check  my A1c, but I am too impatient and I either stick the wrong end in, or I fumble and drop the strip.  I am kind of depressed because diabetes does run on my father's side.  I need to lose some weight.  I am very muscular and I know that is not taken into account when I am weighed.  Neither are my large breasts taken into account for the weight.  I figure they are, at least, 5 lbs. each.  So, I used to be very active, when I was younger, and am now not that active.  I was a fitness/nutritionist/Aerobic/Weight-Trainer from 1993 to 2007.  I went through a divorce in 2008, remarried, and became homeless on and off from 2009-2015 on and off until we got our own place in August 2015.  

Being on the street hampered our fitness/nutrition regimens.  We couldn't afford to go to the gyms nor live the life-style we had become accustomed to, nor did we have the same diets anymore.  We began walking and doing free-style exercise on our own.  Fast-foods and restaurants, can foods, boxed foods, pantry foods became our new diets.  When I did get another job, it was a call center.  The sitting didn't help much and the lbs. began to make a new home on my body without me noticing.  Pizza for dinner was sometimes 3-4 times per week because it was only $5 and we'd share it between us and a movie on our audio/visual in our vehicle before retiring for the night.  5 years of not living like we used to sure did ruin our bodies.  Now, that I am older, I can't do the things I did when I was younger and I want to learn how to live, eat, and diet in my older age.  I just turned 61 on April 9th.  All help, suggestions, ideas, assistance will be highly-appreciated and I am glad to be a part of a community that understands what I am going through.  

Thanks for reading.

meyery2k

Welcome!  I can relate to your story.  I was wilfully sedentary and loved to eat food.  At 49 years old, I was 315 pounds, high BP, huffing and puffing walking around, and found out I had diabetes.  The diabetes was the wake up call.  I have seen what it does to friends and relatives.  I could write so much about my experiences over the past 4 years but they can be found in the posts here.  

My first advice is take one day at a time.  If you made a mistake, learn from it.  Learn from yesterday, apply to today, improve tomorrow.

At 53 years old, I can do things physically I could not do when I was 35.  I am now athletic.  It started with walking.  I made it a goal to walk 10,000 steps a day with the help of an app.  The first few months were tough but I toned up quickly by being consistent.  Within a year I was running and then cycling because I rediscovered that I hate running.  I lost 100 pounds and was able to stop taking medication for diabetes.  4 year in my weight has stabilized at 220.  I know it is muscle except for a little fat around the belly because I don't do a lot of upper body workouts.  More importantly, I feel great mentally and physically.

Diet - I have found the low carb/high fat diet works for me physically and mentally.  Forget that fat is bad.  Fat is your friend.  It keeps you full and as you become more active gives you long lasting energy.  I can ride a bike 100 miles and have no need for gel cubes or other glucose products.  Oddly enough, macadamia nuts and peanut butter prove to be the best snacks on a long ride.

I do hope you decide we are a good fit.  I learned a lot here.  I have made good friends.  We do understand what you are feeling and we would like to help you as best we can. ~ Mike

adiantum

@Diabetesll, firstly Happy belated Birthday for the 9th.

Lets work together & get you feeling better before your 62nd next year.

You have a new partner & a new home...so much for you to get on the right track to enjoy the new opportunities .

Getting to understand how your body copes now that you are on the verge of diabetes or even if you do have it.

Moving your body through exercise is important as it keeps the blood flowing freely & burn off the glucose instead of storing it.

Walking is great.. so is dancing. Lately I've just been pretending to stomp on grapes as if making wine..lots of wine : )

Eating the right foods  is vital. Dont think of it as a diet or you could feel deprived. The food choices available to us is excellent.

Tell us what foods you enjoy so we can offer suggestions. I eat a lot of cheese,nuts,olives & eggs to keep the hunger pangs away.

Processed foods are high in calories & carbohydrates which we just cant tolerate.

Please feel welcome & post often with as many questions or suggestions that come to mind.

Diabetesll

Thanks for the well-wishes and welcoming.  I like to eat protein: fish, beef, chicken, pork.  Sometimes, I will have hot-dogs or burgers.  2 hot-dogs or 1 hamburger.  I like pastrami-sandwiches, once in a while too.  Also, I like ice-cream.  I have tried the sugar-free and the lactose-free, etc., but they're not as good as the regular ice creams.  Snow cones and slushes are great too especially during hot days.  I like to have a beer or two:  Coors light, Corona light, Mooshead light, Grizzly Bear, or Jack Daniel's punches:  Watermelon, Peach, Strawberry on the rocks.  I don't drink spirits often.  I also like wine-spritzer's:  1/2 White Zinfindel & 1/2 diet 7-up on the rocks.  Spirits, I may consume 1-3 during a 3 month period.  Munchies, I like Hot-Spicy, pork cracklin's, Ruffles potatoe chips, mixed nuts, snack crackers some with sour cream & chives, or alone: Keebler, chicken n' a bisquit, Ritz.  I drink 1 can of diet coke, per day, for the caffeine.  Also, I have started drinking coffee, again for about the last 3 months or more, now.  I drink mild, medium, and Dark.  I tried blonde, but I didn't like it.  Candy:  Cadbury's Fruit & Nut, Almond Joy, Ferrero Roche, See's Candies, but less chocolate more nuts.  I drink 2% milk sometimes or use it for cereals.  Cereals, I like the ones with fruits:  Kellogg's with dried Strawberries, Raisin Bran Crunchy, Honey and oats with almonds.  I don't add sugar to any of them.  Teas, I drink Black, Mint, Chamomile, Hibiscus, Green, Cinnamon.  I don't add sugar to them.  Once in a while, I will add a small wedge of lemon and a teaspoon of honey, but rarely.  I love fruits:  Apples, bananas, kiwis, watermelon, melons, strawberries, any berries, grapes.  Vegetables:  carrots, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, salsa/pico de gallo, hot sauce, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, string beans, corn, chick peas, beans.  

adiantum

My BG meter told me I cant tolerate icecream anymore while my taste buds curled up & almost died when I tried the low carb brands on the market.

So, I bought an icecream maker & made my own low carb variety..not all were a success.

The novelty soon wore off after i found other low carb sweets . Theres many  recipes in the  forum.

https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/10-recipes/

An easy sweet Kit tweaked was 1pkt cream cheese , 1 sugar free jello & cream. That is really nice & easy.

Breakfast cereals  are just too carby for us. Cook a breakfast instead.. bacon & eggs, mushrooms , boiled eggs, left over stir fries etc.

Just try not to have toast  or perhaps just  a half slice.

Use your meter before & 2 hrs after a meal & keep that reading below 7. Be sure to wash your hands as food residue on fingers will give a false reading.

I doubt slushies & snowcones are low carb but try icy cold water on those hot days as it will quench your thirst with greater success.

We all had to break the habit of reaching for carbs.

At first keep your daily carbohydrate count to below 100g  and your meter will tell you if you need to reduce it.

Fruit can be toxic while many find only strawberries  can be  tolerated.

Root vegetables are higher in carbs like potato , carrot & onion,but corn,peas , dried beans .

Leafy greens are essential . your broccoli & cauliflower are great too & filling.

Fat is not our enemy, carbohydrates are. 

The chocolate & candies you list are not good but we can  find good substitutions.

A little dark chocolate might work. Try these   cheese crackers.

All you need is grated Parmesan cheese, baking paper & a microwave.

on a sheet of paper place 1 Dsp parmesan  in a couple of  heaps &microwave on high  for about 1 minute.

When cool they are the best crisps ive ever tried.

Test your BG to see how beer affects  you, I dont drink it but I can do well after a whiskey but not sure my liver copes.

meyery2k

I have found cutting the carbs was the best solution for me.  Then upping the exercise.

While SF ice cream isn't as good, it works for me.

Try to start with a goal of 100g of carbs a day or less.  Fat is your friend.  Low fat foods are, generally NOT so good.  They add carbs to improve the flavor and texture.

Instead of 2% milk you can use cream.  

Any grains, cereals, rice, pasta, send my BG up and then it stays up because I am insulin resistant.