Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
ran23

Leaf filter

ran23

IF there a cheaper version of Leaf Filter out there?   Not sure about a 6" roll of screen material.  Can't think of any other material to try.   just thinking

OneEye

In my opinion, you lay something across the gutter and eventually that's going to build up with leaves that will wash the water over the gutter onto the ground below...which is why you put the gutters on there in the first place. You could get up there and wash the leaves off the screen. Then again...you're kinda back to square one when you were washing the leaves out of the gutters.

I find this system the best. It's maintenance free.

image.png.bdea0315ecdbb50277ee79f36efea822.png

ran23

Here is Southern Oregon is the first time to see sealed downspouts, so I put wire mesh balls (Home Depot) at the top to help with leaves.  Some of the near by trees are gone now, good old lightening strikes.  (this CA boy is new to lightening).   Curious what that pictured system is?   thanks

OneEye
2 minutes ago, ran23 said:

Curious what that pictured system is? 

That's a cutaway of a gutter system that uses a patented (I think) way of washing leaves over the gutter while wicking the water itself into the gutter.

The dark part of the image is roof shingles. The gutter itself sits about a half inch under the shingles. The top cover serves two purposes. It one, helps wash the leaves off the gutter assembly and two, that little curve at the end of the cover wicks the water into the gutter. Works pretty good. Maintenance free.

image.png.316925c12e670df5483f07e1e8fcd749.png

dowling gram

There are many different options to keep leaves out of your gutters. Oneeye's is one to think about if you are having new gutters installed. I'm not sure I'd like them if they go under the shingles. To work properly gutters should slope slightly toward the down spout and you couldn't do that if they are under the shingles. I'm not sure they do though because eaves trough installers know that. Besides when I had my roof shingled I had them install a drip edge under the shingles.

If you have existing eaves troughs and just want to keep debris out of them they make gutter gurads that fit over existing eaves troughs. They are ridgid enough to not sag under the weight of leaves and have small holes for the water to drain from the roof. At least the ones I'd buy would have small holes. Some have larger holes which I think defeats the purpose. I think you have to make the rounds of home improvement stores and see what's available.

I don't have them because I don't have any deciduous trees around my yard. I got rid of them years ago.  I have pines and cedars and a couple of crab apples that are very short so the leaves don't get up to the roof. I hire someone to clean my gutters ever 5 years or so and they never get much out of them

Hooterville

I have the screens.  They were installed when the gutters were installed.   Yes, leaves and pine needles build up on them and they don't blow off in wind and I get plenty of wind periodically.   What I've been meaning to do is get one of those very long, telescoping poles with the heavy duty broom type brush attachment so that I can just walk along my one-story house and knock the accumulation of stuff off the screens before each storm.    I live under a pretty complete canopy of oaks and pines.   All year long, something is dropping.   If it's not oak leaves or pine needles, it's pine cones or acorns.  My roof/gutter/window cleaner guy is a saint for doing my job.   The gutters on the house aren't bad.   He says the gutters are perfectly clean inside.    The screens keep everything out.     It's the carport and deck awnings that are brutal for him.   He pretty much told me one time when I procrastinated and waited too long, that he needed to come four times per year otherwise, it's just too difficult.  Now I'm vigilant.   I don't want to lose him!   He's actually coming on Tuesday.   

ran23

Consumer Reports showed 10 majors ones, even long brushes about 4' long to lie in the gutters.  Amazon and my tall ladders one of these days. thanks all

Hammer

If you have a problem with leaves clogging up your rain gutters, maybe think about getting a leaf blower.  I have a leaf blower that has an optional attachment, where you remove the long narrow spout of the leaf blower that you aim at the leaves to blow them away, and in place of the spout, you attach a section of pipe that rises up, then makes a u-turn down.  You place the u-turned down section into your gutter, and that blows the leaves out of the gutter.  Here is just one brand of an after market leaf blower gutter attachment kit.

Hammer
2 hours ago, ran23 said:

NO leaf blower here, wonder if my Shop Vac on blow is strong enough?   will see tomorrow. 

Ran, I don't know if a shop vac on blow would be strong enough to blow the leaves out of your gutters, but since you have a shop vac, you might be interested in a Filter Pal.  I have a filter pal installed on my shop vac's filter, and I love it!  I have mainly used my shop vac to vacuum off the lint on my clothes dryer's lint filter.  Doing this causes the filter in my shop vac to get clogged up with lint, and trying to remove it is a real pain.  I came across the Filter Pal, so I bought one and installed it over my shop vac's filter.  This has saved me so much time when I try to clean my shop vac's filter, that I feel it was well worth the money. 

The Filter Pal is basically a cloth bag that you place over your shop vac's filter.  When you use your shop vac, it catches all of the dust and whatever that the shop vac picks up, and they get caught by the Filter Pal.  Every so often, you just open up the vac, remove the Filter Pal, scrape off everything that is on the Filter Pal, then put it back on your shop vac's filter.  You will never need to replace you shop vac's filter, since very little, if anything, get's to the filter itself.