Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
zaroba

Odd symptoms that don't seem to match blood sugar

zaroba

Bit of a long story, bare with me.
I'm hoping some of you really experienced guys can give me some help with this.

Around 2010 I was pretty unhealthy, over 300lb and living off junkfood.  Went on a diet and cut sugar out and focused primarily on meat, basically living off protein instead of sugar and it turned out great.  Combined with a very physical job, I dropped to 215 in less then a year.  Fat was being replaced with muscle so weightloss slowed and I was like an energizer bunny, I could doing physically intensive work for 10-12 hours a day and not get tired.  But it caught up with me and I needed a sit down job because my body couldn't take it anymore.  Tried to become a truck driver in 2015 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  Started out taking Metformin and it worked for a while, I got a job driving a truck, and all was fine.  I continued my high protein diet, kept the weight off, and was doing great.  Then Metformin seemed to stop working.  DR switched me to Jenumet (2x 500mg), which also worked for a while, then the same thing happened again.  So he then added Farxiga (1x 10mg).  Things were improving.

February last year my A1C was down to 7.2.  Then odd stuff started happening.  Once in a while mid afternoon I would feel shakey, weak, my heart would feel like it was beating fast, and it felt like I was going to faint.  I would get really nervous and I would check my sugar and find it was 150 or higher.  Seemed odd, these were all symptoms of having LOW blood sugar.  I then discovered that eating something high sugar, like a candy bar, provided nearly instant relief of these symptoms.  But that isn't exactly a good solution so I didn't stick with that.  Continued my high protein diet and was down to 195lb.

As the months ticked by, I continued taking the Jenumet and Farxiga and the symptoms kept happening more often.  By November last year it was happening a few times a week, sometimes even early afternoon while I was still driving my truck.  This really scared me very bad things would happen if I did end up fainting or just loosing awareness of my surroundings while driving an 80,000lb semi down the highway.  I had a doctors appointment in December, but the only doctor available when I could be home was a very elderly man that had some physical issues (he practically moved and talked as slow as a sloth, so wasn't going to try and explain it all to him).

I started taking less pills and resumed eating the occasional candy bar and the symptoms became way less common.  In May I stopped taking the pills completely and became less concerned with food intake and haven't had the symptoms since.  Been almost 4 months now.  Of course, the downside of that is now my Type 2 has gotten worse again.  No pills and improper eating has now caused my fasting blood sugar to be nearly at 300.  But I have no symptoms of high blood sugar.  I still drink and piss the same as I did for the past 10 years, long before I was diagnosed with Type 2 (I got used to drinking over a gallon of water a day due to the very physical jobs I had for the 15 years prior to being diagnosed and becoming truck driver).  Never nauseous, no unusually blurry vision, or anything else.  I feel completely healthy and normal.

It just doesn't add up.
For a while I was thinking maybe my meter was just giving defective readings, but I've used it to check my blood sugar before blood work and it matched the readings.  As well as testing it before doctor appointments and had them test as well to find the same results.
Is it possible to just have a naturally high blood sugar level?
Could something else be wrong and causing the symptoms?  Although it seems really tied to my blood sugar level and pills.

I got turned down for a new driving job this morning because they had to do a physical and found my blood sugar was at 284, only thing I ate was a few plain eggs 3 hours prior.  I am going to get new bloodwork tomorrow and have an appointment with my regular doctor on Wednesday so hopefully he can also provide some insight.  Wondering if some of you experienced members can provide some insight as well.

adiantum

G'day zaroba, I'm glad you found us here. 

At 18 months ago your A1c was high at 7.1 so your BG  had been running high regularly.  I believe the shakes were a false hypo which can happen if you make that effort to reduce your carb intake. I used to get these false hypos & while they are scary , you wont slip into unconsciousness etc.

I used to drink water or sugar free soda & rest a while ^& take that time to declare I'll get serious about this condition .

Start counting your carbohydrate intake  &  for now just keep it under 100g a day but this will have to reduce later.

Those 3 eggs would be an ideal meal but was there toast with them?

Your doctor could put you back onto taking meds & thats OK but we cant depend on them alone.

We have to address our intolerance to carbs & keep  that blood flowing by being active.

While you may not notice any ill effects, you can be sure they are happening silently.

No, its not possible to naturally have such high readings.

Post often & we will help you all we can.

~Lee

meyery2k

@zaroba - Welcome!  Maybe try a reset and we can help you.  Your circumstances and numbers were very similar to mine.  I eat a lot of vegetables.  Those have a few carbs but they are much better than starches and sugars.  Try non-root vegetables.  There are all kinds of ways to prepare them. 

When you said your body couldn't take it anymore, what kind of exercise?  I do a bunch of cycling since it seems to be most compatible with me and I enjoy it.  Running is too hard on these older knees.

Ask questions and you can find plenty of good advice here.  Listening to these guys, I got my T2 under remission (even the doctor agrees), lost 100 pounds, and do all kinds of activities I couldn't do 3 years ago. ~ Mike

zaroba
7 hours ago, meyery2k said:

@zaroba - When you said your body couldn't take it anymore, what kind of exercise?

Working in shipping warehouses on loading docks moving thousands of boxes weighing 5-80lb by hand to/from conveyors and moving pallets by hand weighing thousands of pounds.  I'm not even 40 yet and my feet, knees, and lower back are bad from doing it for 15 years constantly overexerting myself and pushing my body as hard as I could.  I couldn't take it anymore, it started to effect my ability to work and even stand (I actually have to move around or I have trouble balancing) so I decided to get into trucking for a sit down job, but I do miss it.  A symptom of high blood sugar is being tired because your cells aren't absorbing the glucose to get energy, but my energy levels are really high and I love exercising.

Edited by zaroba

Kit

Hi @zaroba, welcome to the group.

It sounds like the symptoms you were feeling at 150 were a false hypo.  I had a number of them, especially as I was getting my numbers lower.

Yes, eating sugar helps the feeling, but it only makes the situation worse.  Instead try eating something like a handful of nuts or similar.  I found that made my symptoms go away while having only a small affect on my numbers.

adiantum

Before my diagnosis I also had trouble balancing & actually fell a few times.

its not happened since I got my numbers down.

7 hours ago, zaroba said:

( I actually have to move around or I have trouble balancing)

zaroba
18 hours ago, adiantum said:

Before my diagnosis I also had trouble balancing & actually fell a few times.

its not happened since I got my numbers down.

I've just had many foot and ankle sprains from an overly active childhood combined with a weak sense of pain and my knees (left more then right) give out easily if I try to stand upright without moving.  Actually have to concentrate on standing and keeping my knees working.

adiantum

I dont know  what caused my loss of balance but once it started I was unable to stop the fall.

I went down so easily & received many bruises & 3 broken bones . Wrist, elbow & patella.

At the d education classes, 4 other attendees commented on the same issues.

Its not happened since I was Dx & got my numbers down which is why I attributed it to high bg.

Actually life has improved since I got my A1c down, it's good to feel good.

7 hours ago, zaroba said:

I've just had many foot and ankle sprains from an overly active childhood combined with a weak sense of pain and my knees (left more then right) give out easily if I try to stand upright without moving.  Actually have to concentrate on standing and keeping my knees working.

zaroba

Well, my A1C went up to 11 from the 9 it was in December due to eating candy to deter those symptoms.
Honestly thought it would be a lot higher due to improper diet and not taking any pills over the past 4 months.

Doctor didn't think there was a link between the symptoms and diabetes, so next blood work (and urinalysis) will be a lot more in-depth to look at other stuff as well to see if something else might have been causing the symptoms.

Edited by zaroba