Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer

A Windows 10 problem...

Hammer

I recently noticed that my Windows 10 Pro OS hasn't been installing updates, like it did when I first got this computer.  I tried to install them myself, but I keep getting a message that the updates couldn't be installed.  I tried running the troubleshooter, and it opens a window that says that I need to restart my computer, and if I want to restart it, there is a button to restart it, but when I click on it, the computer starts to shut down, showing a windows that says "Restarting", with those little white balls circling "Restart".....and it never restarts, and I waited 30 minutes and it still didn't restart.

One option it says is to uninstall all of the updates, then go back and reinstall them, which would probably take forever, since some updates install, then they automatically restart the system, which means that it would never restart again, like what happened above.  I'm thinking of just ignoring the updates, since my computer is working just fine, and if something happens bad because I didn't install a security update, so be it.  There is nothing on this computer that is valuable, since I don't bank online, I don't have any personal information on this computer...heck, the name of this computer is "John Doe".

Anybody have any thoughts on what to do about this?

OneEye

I would uninstall all the updates and start fresh. When you reinstall all the updates they won't restart individually; what will happen is all the updates will install at one time. When you're done...ignore the "restart now" button, close out the update window and do a cold restart on your computer.

Let us now how it goes...

As an addendum here: Not all updates are about security. Some are .NET upgrades, patches to the OS, etc. I'd keep current so that everything works in concert.

Hammer

To update this thread, I finally found out what the problem was.  Apparently, my version of Windows 10, has been updated.  My version was version 1083, and the newer version is version 1093.  Updates weren't installed because I needed to install the updated version of Windows 10, version 1093, so I did.  That took about 2.5 hours to install, but at least it installed.  After I installed this newer version, all of the updates that couldn't be installed have now been installed, so I'm good to go.  What I don't understand is why this updated version of Windows 10, version 1093, didn't just install itself, and let me know that it was being installed?

OneEye

Not sure how Windows 10 does this, but...in Windows 7 you can decide how Windows handles new updates. Under Start>Control Panel>System>Windows Update>Change Settings - You can Choose how Windows checks for and installs updates.

1.Install updates automatically (recommended)

2. Download updates but let me choose whether to install them

3.Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them

4. Never check for updates (not recommended)

You can probably Google 'How Do I change Windows 10 Updates Setting'

I've got #3 set for my Windows 7 updates. As a system task my computer checks (in the background) for updates each time I fire it up. When it finds new updates it puts a little icon on the right side of my tray and a reminder that updates are available.

Chances are, somewhere along the way you've chosen #4.

Let us know how it goes...

As an addendum here...2.5 hours to download a new update? What are you...on dial up?

ran23

Check with your manufacturer is you should even d/l any new updates.  My Lenovo business PC is a few years old.  I am using WUshowhide to block any new updates.   somehow Windows 10 1803 snuck by back in April.  lucked out and it still works.  I am still blocking this new version from downloading. 

Hammer
On 9/19/2019 at 3:33 PM, OneEye said:

Not sure how Windows 10 does this, but...in Windows 7 you can decide how Windows handles new updates. Under Start>Control Panel>System>Windows Update>Change Settings - You can Choose how Windows checks for and installs updates.

1.Install updates automatically (recommended)

2. Download updates but let me choose whether to install them

3.Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them

4. Never check for updates (not recommended)

You can probably Google 'How Do I change Windows 10 Updates Setting'

I've got #3 set for my Windows 7 updates. As a system task my computer checks (in the background) for updates each time I fire it up. When it finds new updates it puts a little icon on the right side of my tray and a reminder that updates are available.

Chances are, somewhere along the way you've chosen #4.

Let us know how it goes...

As an addendum here...2.5 hours to download a new update? What are you...on dial up?

OneEye, I did check the box to install updates automatically, but even if I had box #4 checked, when I went to the Microsoft website, and downloaded the new updates, they wouldn't install.  It wasn't until I kept digging and found out that the problem was because my version of Windows 10, version 1083, needed to be updated to version 1093.  Once I downloaded version 1093, the updates began installing properly again.

Oh, no, it didn't take 2.5 hours to download, it took 2.5 hours to install, which surprised me since this is a pretty fast computer.(An Intel core i5-8600K processor, with 6 cores, each core operating at 3.6 Ghz, and 16 GB of RAM.)

OneEye

When the version 1093 updates wouldn't install...the install code should have brought up an error message saying that those updates were for the newer version, version 1093 and "do you want to upgrade to version 1093 now?". Bad coding on Microsoft's part. You should never have to troubleshoot this stuff.

ran23

2010 August updates??   I also have a Core i5 and 2017-09 is the last update I am going to use.   (Updates-#1709=  2017/09)

Hammer
On 9/23/2019 at 9:55 PM, OneEye said:

When the version 1093 updates wouldn't install...the install code should have brought up an error message saying that those updates were for the newer version, version 1093 and "do you want to upgrade to version 1093 now?". Bad coding on Microsoft's part. You should never have to troubleshoot this stuff.

I agree.  When the updates failed to install, all I got was a message that said that the updates failed to install.  Since things like this bug me, I decided to keep clicking on links that were in the error messages, then click on the links that were in THOSE messages, until I finally got the message telling me that my version of Windows 10 needed to be updated, and when I got that message, it did have a link to download and install the newer version.

What I don't get, is the same thing that you mentioned...when it came time to update my version of Windows 10, why didn't it just give me a message that there was an update (the newer version of Windows 10) that needed to be installed?  Whenever Windows has updates, I always get a message that there are new updates to install, and that I can install them right then, or they will install when I shut down the computer.

Another thing that bothers me....I can understand the reasons for getting updates, but why would Microsoft need to update a version of Windows 10?  What was wrong with my version of Windows, that a normal update couldn't fix?  Why did it have to install a new version of Windows itself?🙄