Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
crimsoncosmos

Should I be concerned with these results? Possible pre-diabetes?

crimsoncosmos

Hi everyone, Yesterday I got my glucose levels tested, they were higher than the norm.

They performed 2 tests after a fast:

1. Returned the result of 5.56mmol/L(100.18mg/dL)

2. Returned the result of 5.49mmol/L(98.91mg/dL)

Also, I've got some bad results about Lymphocytes in my blood, I got 52.2 LYM%, the borderline is 37 LYM%, I have a chronic illness and I'm awaiting surgery this year.

I'm a young adult and underweight(BMI of 17.5), I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol, family has no history of diabetes.

The day before the test, I didn't read the note that my Doctor handed and I ate all sorts of junk food(instant noodles, diet coke, rice, etc.)

Should I be concerned with these glucose results? If so is it too late to reverse it?

dowling gram

Hi crimsoncosmos--Welcome to the forum

Your results if a little high are normal bordering on diabetes. The high carb diet of the day before would raise your hbA1C reading but not your fasting reading. A fasting reading is only a snapshot in time. An hbA1C is a better indicator of what your glucose is doing. It gives you a picture of what your glucose is doing over a period of 2 to 3 months.

If you are in constant pain that could possibly be the cause of your higher readings but that's only a possibility.If you cut out the junk and starchy food you can lower your blood glucose and maybe dodge the bullet of diabetes. We are what we put into our bodies. A low carb high fat diet may help you feel better too

meyery2k

Welcome!  It wouldn't hurt to try low carb high fat.  It can really help with a lot of things.  I would ask about getting an A1c test as Dowling mentioned. ~ Mike

crimsoncosmos
55 minutes ago, dowling gram said:

Hi crimsoncosmos--Welcome to the forum

Your results if a little high are normal bordering on diabetes. The high carb diet of the day before would raise your hbA1C reading but not your fasting reading. A fasting reading is only a snapshot in time. An hbA1C is a better indicator of what your glucose is doing. It gives you a picture of what your glucose is doing over a period of 2 to 3 months. 

If you are in constant pain that could possibly be the cause of your higher readings but that's only a possibility.If you cut out the junk and starchy food you can lower your blood glucose and maybe dodge the bullet of diabetes. We are what we put into our bodies. A low carb high fat diet may help you feel better too 

42 minutes ago, meyery2k said:

Welcome!  It wouldn't hurt to try low carb high fat.  It can really help with a lot of things.  I would ask about getting an A1c test as Dowling mentioned. ~ Mike

Hi, Thank you for your responses, I'll ask my doctor for a A1c test. Still, I'm not sure how could I be pre-diabetic, my BMI is low, I exercise, I have normal cholesterol and good blood pressure, and my family has no history with diabetes. Although I will admit, I often feel thirsty and hungry for some snacks, I read this is a symptom of prediabetes.

Edited by crimsoncosmos

meyery2k

Diabetes is not generally a symptom of lifestyle.  Lifestyle, however can help greatly with management.  There are many different reasons someone can become diabetic.  

Diabetes is a clinical description of chronic hyperglycemia.

With the numbers you have reported, the thirst and hunger are likely not due to this.  You mentioned that you exercise.  Do you hydrate properly with electrolytes?  Hunger can also be a symptom of mild dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.  The thirst from diabetes that you describe occurs when your glucose is so elevated that your body excretes excess glucose via urine.  That water has to be replaced, hence the thirst.  Before I had my diabetes under control, I was constantly peeing and drinking water (my fasting glucose was in the 200's).

I believe an A1c will bring you some peace of mind.  At this point, you have an excellent chance to take charge.  If you are pre-diabetic, you do not want to let that become diabetes if at all possible.  That never comes off the chart and diabetes will affect getting life insurance, following some career paths, getting a driver's license can be a little more complicated.

Even if you do not have diabetes, you might try giving LCHF a try.  I eat better than ever and it works as far as my activity of choice (cycling).  I can ride all day and carry nuts and little packs of peanut butter.  If I eat carbs, they do provide energy, but it doesn't last like fat.

crimsoncosmos
8 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Hunger can also be a symptom of mild dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.  The thirst from diabetes that you describe occurs when your glucose is so elevated that your body excretes excess glucose via urineThat water has to be replaced, hence the thirst.  Before I had my diabetes under control, I was constantly peeing and drinking water (my fasting glucose was in the 200's).

It wasn't like that. I would drink 3-4 liters of water every day, just because I was thirsty. It started off as a habit, I would drink water even when I wasn't thirsty. I also had this habit of constantly chewing bubble gum, mints or having something else in my mouth when I would get stressed and I did get stressed very often so I would finish a pack of bubble gum or mints in like 2-3 days. I have a mental disorder called OCD. I have already made changes in my diet, yesterday I ate only bananas, olives, and boiled eggs. Today I started my morning off with a cup of black coffee and buckwheat.

I have another question. Does the time when I eat matter? Like should I try to eat the same time during the day. Like, Organize my eating times?

crimsoncosmos
13 hours ago, stevenal said:

Bananas and buckwheat are both high in carbohydrate.

I'm still having trouble choosing what to eat, because i dont know what foods have what in them, as far as I learned white bread, rice or pasta is a big no no. 

I also asked my family members if anyone had t2d, they all siad that nobody had it, althought my mother siad her glucose levels were prediabetic once. My mother pointed out is that im still young and hormones could have affected my glucose levels(puberty is not over for me yet, my voice still cracks and I have acne :( ) 

Do you think that puberty hormones have a connection with glucose levels? I also wanna point out that my cholesterol levels are ideal and i dont have high blood pressure.

stevenal

There's a US Department of Agriculture database on food if our president hasn't taken it down yet, but http://Calorieking.com is easier to use and has a phone app as well. Do hormones affect glucose? Yes. Insulin is a hormone, and hormones interact. Some women become diabetic when pregnant, and there is a forum here just on that subject. Surprisingly, parents can sometimes be right.

meyery2k

Stress and illness can also affect glucose.  Stress can cause your body to dump glucose into your bloodstream in preparation for "fight or flight".  You also mentioned in your first post about having an illness and an increased lymphocyte count.  Many of us here can tell you for a fact that illness sends our glucose up, mine included.

crimsoncosmos

Thanks all for the advice. I will give LCHF a try, exercise more and live a generally healthier life.

Thanks all again.

Hammer

Crimsoncosmos, when I want to find the nutritional content of a food, I simple Google the food (like bananas or buckwheat) and add nutrition to the search, like "Bananas nutrition".

Also, I don't know if they offer these type of tests in your country, but here in the US, we can do an A1c test at home.  There are a number of different brands of these tests.  This is the test that I sometimes use.  Most of these tests come with anywhere from 2 to 10 test strips (the more test strips, the more it costs), and you use one test strip to do the test.  Usually, once the test strip has been used, it takes about 5 minutes to get the A1c result.  I've used this test a number of times in the past, and the last time I used it, I used it just as I was about to leave my house and go to the lab and have them do my blood work.  The lab's A1c was 0.1 unit different than my at home test A1c was.